HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS wheel maintinance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

SS wheel maintinance?

Okay, I was wondering if anyone knows if the SS wheels have a protective coating on them? Mine are looking cloudy after this winter and I want to brighten them up, but I want to make sure to use the right materials. If the have no coating I will use some aluminium polish, if they do have a coating I figured a light paint polish and wax would do the trick.

Anyone have the answers and best method/products to use?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Yes they do have a clear coating on them so no abrasives or strong cleaners.

Just use a good non abrasive polish and some elbow grease to polish them out and then a good wax on top of that.

As long as your polish is good for a clear coat polish you should be safe.

The the clear on your wheels just as if it were clear on paint and you should be fine.

I use Meguires Professional Hand polish and or Professional Duel Cleaner polish. Just depends on the condition The hand polish is for light cleaning the Duel for deeper cleaning. [Note these ar enot your regular Megurie Polishes. These are the body shop grade in a Quart bottle.

I follow up with a good Paste wax like Mothers Gold inside and out.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM

all wheels?

does this apply to all hhr wheels??? i thought they made some chrome ss wheels , as well as polished??? i have polished non ss wheels. i have a hhr brochure that shows painted , polished , and chrome , 3 different options , not counting wheel covers / hubcaps. i know this is "SS" thread , but i am sure that others read as well as i , and may also want to know about their wheels.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Generally speaking all polished aluminum, painted aluminum or chrome aluminum wheels form GM have a clear coat.

All should be polished and waxed just as if it was paint on a car.

If you can was them with a good soap and water weekly and not let the brake dust bake on you can avoid cleaners too.

But if the brake dust is baked on you can use products like meguires hot shine for clear coat wheels.

But with any cleaner only use them on cold wheels as some will react with heat and can ech the clear. If it is not for clear coat it will peal the clear.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM

That what I was hoping for Hyperv6!! Thanks for the reply. I have what i need already so polishing away!!! I would have hated if I listened to a friend that said to use aluminum polish and thet new polishing wheel.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 'Black Death'
That what I was hoping for Hyperv6!! Thanks for the reply. I have what i need already so polishing away!!! I would have hated if I listened to a friend that said to use aluminum polish and thet new polishing wheel.
Yes, you would have lost a friend on that one!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Treat the wheels exactly as you would the paint on your trucklette . . . :)