HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Start up brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Just this morning I started it up and zipped down my street. As I tried to stop at the intersection I realized I had virtually no brakes and almost slid through the intersection. I don't know how this can be acceptable, as I was lucky not to get in an accident.

So now I have to start up the car ahead of time, and let it run a while after I stop it as well??
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Savello told the dealer his was having the same problem. They put him in front of everyone else, and wouldn't let him leave in the vehicle for safety/liability reasons. It is absolutely not acceptable, so bring it in for warranty service. You can go without the torque for a couple of days. It will just seem all that much faster when you get it back... 0-60 in 6.4 sec is no good if you don't have brakes to bring you back to 0 ASAP when necessary...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Mr.Redface
I know mine does this after about 10 hours sitting - consistantly. I have just decided to warm the car up first. I have 4500 miles on my SS with no problems besides this tick. I don't think I want to have anything disturbed at the dealer right now. Plus, I couldn't survive the day without driving it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's GM's fix for this concern. The tick is normal for this engine design.

#08-05-22-001: Pedal Noise/Buzz, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal After Vehicle Has Not Been Driven for Extended Period of Time (Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)) - (Mar 18, 2008)

Subject: Pedal Noise/Buzz, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal After Vehicle Has Not Been Driven for Extended Period of Time (Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM))

Models: 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that after their vehicle has not been operated for an extended period of time, there may be a noise or buzz coming from the brake pedal or extra effort may be needed to depress the brake pedal.

Correction
Important: The following Optimized Hydraulic Brake (OHB) characteristics are considered to be normal and no mechanical parts should be replaced in an effort to change the operation of the system:

• Ratchet sound coming from the brake system during OHB activation.

• Brake pedal movement or pulsation when the OHB is active.

• Increased brake pedal effort under low brake booster vacuum.

• Change in brake pedal effort when OHB is active.

• Frequent brake stops may result in OHB activation.

• High altitude driving may result in OHB activation.

Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 07-05-22-002 for further information on Optimized Hydraulic Boost Brake System Characteristics.

DO NOT replace the brake vacuum booster, brake vacuum sensor, EBCM or ABS module for this condition.

An Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) calibration was released that may reduce the effort the customer feels when depressing the brake pedal on a car that has not been operated for an extended period of time. Reprogram the EBCM with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS) application. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

H2508
Electronic Brake and/or Traction Control Module Reprogramming with SPS
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See
Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
Savello told the dealer his was having the same problem. They put him in front of everyone else, and wouldn't let him leave in the vehicle for safety/liability reasons. It is absolutely not acceptable, so bring it in for warranty service. You can go without the torque for a couple of days. It will just seem all that much faster when you get it back... 0-60 in 6.4 sec is no good if you don't have brakes to bring you back to 0 ASAP when necessary...
Car has been in service for over 2 weeks, so i got called in today by the service manager to have me order an 09' :) so now i must wait for my new ss a few more weeks but at least this time i am getting a 5 speed.....
Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 PM

Mine was built on June 8 and had this tag on it hung from the glove box. I noticed the 09's also have these.

Advanced braking system

This vehicle is equipped with an advanced braking system for enhanced braking perfromance. This advanced braking system has a feature called Optmised Hydraulic Boost {OHB},
which uses the Anti-Lock Braje System to assist vehicle braking under low engine vacum conditions. Slight brake pedal pulses may be felt when they OHB is active and may occur during engine warm up.

I don't know if all had this or only the later built ones did?

So far my brakes have never had low boot or any problem liek described here.

The tick like a lifter from the engine is the direct injection system. They are more noisy than the old injectors.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Mine was built on June 8 and had this tag on it hung from the glove box. I noticed the 09's also have these.

Advanced braking system

This vehicle is equipped with an advanced braking system for enhanced braking perfromance. This advanced braking system has a feature called Optmised Hydraulic Boost {OHB},
which uses the Anti-Lock Braje System to assist vehicle braking under low engine vacum conditions. Slight brake pedal pulses may be felt when they OHB is active and may occur during engine warm up.

I don't know if all had this or only the later built ones did?

So far my brakes have never had low boot or any problem liek described here.

The tick like a lifter from the engine is the direct injection system. They are more noisy than the old injectors.
The problem i had was not the noise. I had a rock hard peddle that i couldn't move for the first 30 seconds or so. I totally understand that there is no vacuum for the brakes to operate but the OHB did not help on my car. Thats the reason they ordered me an 09'
Old 08-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by savello
The problem i had was not the noise. I had a rock hard peddle that i couldn't move for the first 30 seconds or so. I totally understand that there is no vacuum for the brakes to operate but the OHB did not help on my car. Thats the reason they ordered me an 09'
My though was the tag on mine on yours and if the tag was related to an update on the late 08 that may have fixed the problem?

I understand your issue but was just looking for a pattern or time line as you were.

I wondered if there was a running change. Mine being buolt about a week before the 09 may have had that change?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:00 PM

after i leave mine sitting for the night the next morning i have the brake problem, i usually just let it run a little then leave, but if im in a hurry ill just throw it in to nutural and rev it up once or twice and be on my way
Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I have the same problem

have had it since day 1, but I always let the SS run for a few minutes as I get the last items together in the garage anyway. When I first back out of the garage you can notice (feel) it, after it sits for s few minutes it is fine.

If I remenber correctly the guys & gals over at the Sol/Sky forums also had the same problem, I think they had a vacuum tank installed by the dealers to eliminate this problem, I would have to research the thread to make sure..
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
you wouldn't have this problem doing 0-60 runs unless you did it as soon as you started your vehicle first thing in the AM, and rolled out of the driveway and did your run. So in reality by the time you are ready to do these tests, or do normal driving, your brakes should be fine, other that what I mentioned in my above post, my brakes have performed quite well for almost 8000 miles

Quick Reply: Start up brake issue