HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Still shy about using launch mode on my manaul ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 AM

I've had mine since March and have used the NLS feature quite a few times. It's very easy for me cuz it's the first stick shift car that I've ever had (the last one I drove with manual transmission was almost 7 years ago). As for the way it works I can't remember where did I read about it, but when you leave your gas pedal down you "save" that turbo boost towards your next gear wich IMO adds more power and the car doesn't have to boost every time you shift gears. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM

I use it alot also. I had NLS in my SRT4 also. Once you try it a few times it is like second nature. It will hold boost through the gear change and eliminate the turbo from having to spool up again. Once you get good at it, the transition between shifts will almost feel like an automatic, basically no lag.

Don't let people tell you it will hurt your drivetrain. It is designed to prevent damage. I can honestly say I have done thousands of NLS in all of my turbo cars that were equiped with NLS and never broken a thing.

Give it a try. Wind it out to about 5800-6000, keep right foot planted, quick blip of the clutch and shift very quickly at the same time.....smile.

As for the launch control, its easy to use also but I find I can get better launches with out it. It will however give you very consistent launches. Just make sure that you let the clutch slip quickly when using it, do not simply let off the clutch or you will bog and bounce the motor off the fire wall =P
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HiggySS
I use it alot also. I had NLS in my SRT4 also. Once you try it a few times it is like second nature. It will hold boost through the gear change and eliminate the turbo from having to spool up again. Once you get good at it, the transition between shifts will almost feel like an automatic, basically no lag.

Don't let people tell you it will hurt your drivetrain. It is designed to prevent damage. I can honestly say I have done thousands of NLS in all of my turbo cars that were equiped with NLS and never broken a thing.

Give it a try. Wind it out to about 5800-6000, keep right foot planted, quick blip of the clutch and shift very quickly at the same time.....smile.

As for the launch control, its easy to use also but I find I can get better launches with out it. It will however give you very consistent launches. Just make sure that you let the clutch slip quickly when using it, do not simply let off the clutch or you will bog and bounce the motor off the fire wall =P
Do explain the NLS in the SRT4 since AFAIK there was never a NLS factory option???
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

I blew up my trans after 2 years of no lift shifting quite a bit. But then again i have the exedy hyper single in there
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Do explain the NLS in the SRT4 since AFAIK there was never a NLS factory option???
The Mopar Stage 1-3 PCM's had NLS programed into them as part of the package, it was marketed as "WOT" (Wide Open Throttle) shifting.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM

While most good strip drivers get better times without no lift shifting (manual), using the feature might be more consistent (and for bracket racing consistency is more important than a lower ET).

I haven't had the nerve to try Launch Control with my auto. Those of you who have the auto, do you just hold the brake and floor the throttle and side-step the brake to launch? How hard is this on the torque converter? At what RPM does it stabilize? How long do you hold it in Launch Control (when you final stage, or somewhere in the tree countdown?).

However, I love Competitive Mode. Much better throttle response. I use it for commuting (and the "I" position if in the twisties or when the traffic is really variable on the freeways). It appears to make more boost quicker in this mode. I'd love to hear from one of the system developers to find out just what is included.

Last edited by LewiSS; 08-10-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Oops!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Mine is an automatic......but it is in Comp Mode ALL the time excepttwhen raining.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Ive never gotten a lower ET while NOT NLS. Just dont NLS 1-2, I NLS 2-3 and 3-4. I dont know how you would go faster without keeping boost between shifts.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Mine is an automatic......but it is in Comp Mode ALL the time excepttwhen raining.
Give me a rundown on how to launch in Launch Control mode. Do you just hold the brake and floor the throttle, then side-step the brake to launch? What RPM does the engine rev to while the brake is on and waiting?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM

The Mopar Stage 1-3 PCM's had NLS programed into them as part of the package, it was marketed as "WOT" (Wide Open Throttle) shifting.
Ahh yes the Stage PCM's. I never realized that was an option with the turbo toys feature.

Originally Posted by LewiSS
Give me a rundown on how to launch in Launch Control mode. Do you just hold the brake and floor the throttle, then side-step the brake to launch? What RPM does the engine rev to while the brake is on and waiting?
That's basically it in a nutshell. I found that when I just floored it and trans-braked, it spun through all of 1st gear off the line. Then the motor "bogged" while the wheels caught traction and I flew off like a bat out of hell. The RPM's hung at around 4100 but w/ the stage kit I think that may be too high as I've never been able to not spin the tires through 1st, even at the track.

Later
Allex

Quick Reply: Still shy about using launch mode on my manaul ss