HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stock tires SUCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Just got my 5-spd SS. At the earliest opportunity I will have to buy a set of snows, I guess (*central NJ). Other than Tire Rack, can anybody recommend a decent tire/wheel combo? The wheels don't have to be pretty....just functional.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fanbelt.1
Just got my 5-spd SS. At the earliest opportunity I will have to buy a set of snows, I guess (*central NJ). Other than Tire Rack, can anybody recommend a decent tire/wheel combo? The wheels don't have to be pretty....just functional.
Tire rack is your best friend
Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM

I am starting my second winter on my Firestone Winterforce tires.

Stomping through the snow
with my SOM HHR
Stopping for the deer
watching them slip and fall
now dash away, dash away all..
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sneezy
true. But snows will make it much more stable and you can go through much more snow with them (and safely).

I'm big on snows. My wifes van has them as have all of my previous 2wd cars. It's a matter os safety. I want my wife and kids to be safe in both cars. I can't put a price on that. I have yet to get stuck with snows on. Maybe because I know how to drive....maybe becuase of the better traction. Maybe because of both.
$1200 for 17 alloys with Blizzaks. Cheap insurance for me.

http://www.myfirehawk.net/misc/hhrsnow2.jpg
http://www.myfirehawk.net/misc/hhrsnow1.jpg
Having lived my whole life in a town where the tire industry ws built in. and having several generations of Rubber company employees and friends working for them. We here in Akron see winter tires more as a money maker over All Season tires in new FWD cars more than anything else.

Blizzaks are good if you really need them but the people I know that work here in the Bridgestone Firestone tech center just used All Seasons like I do.

If you want them spend the money for the peace of mind and out pockets here. But your not also going to fly off the road with a quality all season tire either.

The winter tires are good but on most FWD car a good quality All Season is a better than some will give them credit for.

Kind of like a 9MM vs 357 Mag both will do the job!

This web site is the first place I have ever seen the rage for Blizzaks. The many other sites I visit most people get by with the regular all season tires. Even on cars that should have Blizzaks like a G8.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Had an 01 Cherokee. Wish I had it back. Some drunk migrant worker in Oregon hit me broadside with his truck. No insurance. No license. I was okay but had to be cut out of the Jeep.