HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Trailer Hitch

I was wondering if anyone has a hitch on their SS.
I'm aware that GM say's no trailer towing behind SSs (or for that matter 5 speeds ) but I have a hitch mounted bike carrier.
It would however be interesting to know why no trailer towing. You would think a small lightweight trailer would be no problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM

You would have to notch out a significant portion of the rear lower fascia to install a trailer hitch. I can only imagine that would not look very attractive.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
You would have to notch out a significant portion of the rear lower fascia to install a trailer hitch. I can only imagine that would not look very attractive.
Sorry, very wrong!

No notching required at all. It does press up a bit on the lower fascia but not noticeable unless you are lying on the ground.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ltetons@gmail.com
I was wondering if anyone has a hitch on their SS.
I'm aware that GM say's no trailer towing behind SSs (or for that matter 5 speeds ) but I have a hitch mounted bike carrier.
It would however be interesting to know why no trailer towing. You would think a small lightweight trailer would be no problem.
Off topic, but you should not use your email as a username.
Your email will get indexed in search engines and spam bots will pick it up and spam you. Please PM me to change your username ASAP
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by rommer
Sorry, very wrong!

No notching required at all. It does press up a bit on the lower fascia but not noticeable unless you are lying on the ground.
Cool Rommer, do you have a picture of your car from a little further back with the hitch on? And what brand and model number hitch is that? Thanks, G.B.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 08-12-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removed pic from quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Very nice, I thought I'd have to do a hidden hitch thing with a square cut-out in the rear shroud. Agree a picture from a lower view would be great.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Hi Rommer
Thanks to you and everyone else for the replys.
Could you tell me what hitch you used?
I've seen listings from four different hitch companies, and they could be just a touch different.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Great find. What weight is the hitch rated at?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Quick question. Would GM void the warranty if they see you have a hitch on the SS because it says in the brochure that the SS is not rated for towing ???
I know they cant void your warranty "just" for having that but if you did have a trans, suspension, or any other drivetrain problem i think they would blame it on towing.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by savello
Quick question. Would GM void the warranty if they see you have a hitch on the SS because it says in the brochure that the SS is not rated for towing ???
I know they cant void your warranty "just" for having that but if you did have a trans, suspension, or any other drivetrain problem i think they would blame it on towing.
My usage is similar to the original post - as a bike carrier - not for towing a trailer. I think they would have a very difficult time voiding the warranty for any of the drive train with that usage or simply because they was a hitch installed, without evidence of any miss-use (i.e. towing of a trailer).

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch