HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Tuner guys check this:

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Tuner guys check this:

Guys, just found this document, and its not a good thing from our perspective:

info on GM'S crackdown on aftermarket tunes...

the following is the p.i for calibration confirmation from GM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4386: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations - 2.0 2.2 2.4 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.8 3.9 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.6 4.8 5.0 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 7.0 7.4 8.1 - (Apr 8, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations

Models: 2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

except Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Aveo, and All Saab Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may have the need to verify engine calibrations. If a dealer feels an aftermarket power-up calibration has induced engine and/or drive train damage, there is now a way to verify what calibration is currently in the vehicle.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case, or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than those that these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and / or other driveline components where a non GM engine calibration has been verified, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Instructions for confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
• Go to TIS2WEB

• Select Calibration Information (SPS Info)

• Enter VIN

• Select "Get Cal ID"

• Select ECM Engine Control Module

• Hit "next"

• Select "Complete History"

• Print

Take Printout to Vehicle along with Tech II
• Plug in Tech II

• Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

• Select Powertrain

• Select the engine

• Select F0 - Engine Control Module

• Select F4/F5 - I/M information System / Module ID information*

• Select F1

• Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* This step may vary by controller; use the Module ID Information in the Engine Controls.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued.

If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY calibration verification numbers (CVN's) do not match the printout, it is likely that a non GM certified calibration has been installed.

In order to document the case - a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the TECH 2 screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture and a PDF copy of the TIS2WEB printout should be forwarded to for verification along with the VIN and the reason the vehicle is currently in for service. Please copy your GM Area Service Manager (DVM/DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 48 hours.

If both the Part numbers and the CVN are different, photograph the part numbers and CVN's on the tech 2 screen as described above, assuring the VIN shows clearly in the photograph of the TECH2 screen, and check to see if the vehicle has the latest released calibration. If the latest released calibration is not installed in the vehicle, the part numbers will not match , and the CVN's won't either. E- mail the original Part Numbers and CVN's found in the vehicle on the TECH 2 to: to check if the calibration and CVN matches a previous release. Recalibrate with the latest released cal and re-check against the part numbers and CVN's that are released.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by LT1GMC; 04-16-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Founding Member

Received my first email today concerning a 2005 diesel truck that died while driving and was being worked on at another dealer. Failure was determined to be internal engine failure. The tech also found that the vehicle had been tuned with aftermarket tuner. Pictures were taken and emailed to GM per the above instructions. Customer was notified that the tear down of engine, to determine failure, would be at his expense. Customer declined to have further diagnostics done and towed the vehicle out of the dealer.

Email warns all dealers in North Texas about working on this vehicle.

It looks like GM is serious about powertrain damage caused to vehicles that have aftermarket tuners.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 04-16-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling, grammer...you name it
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for that SPECIFIC information......

ChevyMgr's example is REALLY A GOOD EXAMPLE. This diesel owner is essentially "hosed". He can't get his vehicle repaired anywhere under warranty. The cost of maybe $8000-$10,000 is his now. It will be interesting to see if the M-M Act assists this guy. I doubt it, because of the investigative tear-down.

This is what I have tried to explain to members on several different forums.

Put your faith in the M-M Act and wait for the surprises GM will "dump" on you. And I'm not saying don't do any mod's. Just understand that when you change something, you run a risk of paying for any of the damages. I've been there and done that....representing GM.

ChevyMgr....

I believe your assessment regarding GM being serious regarding warranty repairs, is an accurate statement. I've been told GM is addressing this type of issue more aggressively, to inable them to concentrate (financially and policy wise) more on the REAL warranty repairs.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM

I understand how GM would like to protect themselves from damage others cause.
My purpose to posting this here is many that many people have expressed and posted how they were waiting to get a tune for their automatic SS to get that missing HP back. They need to be aware of the ramifications of tuning, possible trans problems, and warranty issues, since previously it was thought tunes were undetectable by the dealer.
I've never been a big believer in tunes anyway, unless it was on a modified car, because GM has done a pretty good all round job anyway. Tunes, or chips got their popluarity in the late 80's, because since a chip could change boost levels, big HP gains could be had on a turbo car, like the Buicks. However, on conventional cars, like Camaros and Vettes, chips really didn't do much because the factory had a good handle on it already. The SS has potential like the Buick Turbos for more power due to more boost, but I believe the factory derated the autos for a reason.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

^^^^^^^
Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 PM

not really supporting this but lets say you have the HPtuners software and before you change any thing on your ECU just download the stock file save it as a backup then tune another file. Then if you have issues just redownload the oringal file that you saved as a backup.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by relicstone
not really supporting this but lets say you have the HPtuners software and before you change any thing on your ECU just download the stock file save it as a backup then tune another file. Then if you have issues just redownload the oringal file that you saved as a backup.
You would need to load it 10 times since the Tech II is going to pick up the last 10 programming events. And it also time stamps the dates that the programs are loaded, so that would raise as much suspicion as seeing the non GM tune. All the tech has to do is check the warranty history in GMVIS to see what dealer did the programming on those 10 events and of course there would not be a warranty history for it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM

As Brad mentioned and he should know as he is in the business, GM is getting super savvy on the tuner mods. I have had several cars that were highly modified and were WAY out of warranty. If you value the car's coverage, dont mess with it. Personally, I would question if the mod indeed was the cause of the internal failure. If this is the case, the tuners should step up and be more accurate in disclosure.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM

That was why on my Silverado, I kept the stock computer and then had my tuned computer....... 5 minute swap and I was stock again....
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM

smart man..!

Quick Reply: Tuner guys check this: