HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Tuner guys check this:

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Founding Member

The only vehicles I have ever seen with internal engine damage were diesel trucks that had been tuned. I am sure that there have been warranty repairs on 1000's of tuned gasoline engines that never raised any suspicion. That's not to say it can't or won't happen now that this new ability is there.

If a vehicle came in and needed a purge valve, in my mind tuning that vehicle didn't make that valve go bad, it is the big ticket repairs such as internal engine damage that GM is mainly looking at.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You would need to load it 10 times since the Tech II is going to pick up the last 10 programming events. And it also time stamps the dates that the programs are loaded, so that would raise as much suspicion as seeing the non GM tune. All the tech has to do is check the warranty history in GMVIS to see what dealer did the programming on those 10 events and of course there would not be a warranty history for it.
so let's say you install the Hahn Racecraft tune for the HHR SS when it becomes available. Hahn claims you can reprogram the engine back to the stock programming any time you want. And let's say you get an engine issue while running the tuned ECM, then reprogram it back to stock... what you're saying is the Chevy service dept. can now detect all this ECM reprogramming activity and declare your drivetrain to be no longer covered under warranty, even though when you brought the car back to the dealer it was running with the stock programming?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Good to know GM Hitler's Got yawz back.. Next they will tell you cant wear a hat in the car may cause abnormal drag..
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
so let's say you install the Hahn Racecraft tune for the HHR SS when it becomes available. Hahn claims you can reprogram the engine back to the stock programming any time you want. And let's say you get an engine issue while running the tuned ECM, then reprogram it back to stock... what you're saying is the Chevy service dept. can now detect all this ECM reprogramming activity and declare your drivetrain to be no longer covered under warranty, even though when you brought the car back to the dealer it was running with the stock programming?
They don't void the powertrain warranty. If you sustain damage that can't be attributed to a factory failure and you have had a tune, then they COULD say THAT repair is not covered. Only time GM posts a full fledged voided warranty is on a vehicle with a state reported salvaged title unless that changes in the future.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 04-16-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: creative posting....
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by PTGT
Good to know GM Hitler's Got yawz back.. Next they will tell you cant wear a hat in the car may cause abnormal drag..
Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

X 2......
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by PTGT
Seriously?!?!?!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Clearly GM should pay for these failures. They can easily do it by raising their prices for everyone else. That way I don't have to pay for parts breaking after I run them above their rated power. Their engineers probably just used a random number generator to make up the durability ratings anyway.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM

I doubt if its going to be GM giving guys a fit anyway, its gonna be the pain in the butt dealers that are always looking for a way to make more money than the warranty repair pays. I am sorry, but there are some like that, and close to me also. (thats why I bought mine 60 miles away, at a Chevy dealer that sells Corsa exhausts for Corvettes and the like). The local dealer would want to void your warranty for sure if they saw you use "launch control", a feature Chevy engineering is proud of. Go figure.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM

I know I am going to get some disagreement here (obviously), but my opinion is that GM is within their right to do this, and it is reasonable. They are giving us a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, the 5 speed is clearly rated for 260 ft-lbs, so they are giving us all they can for now. If/when I do a tune, I am going to be willing to pay for anything that breaks, but I'll do the labor myself.

Quick Reply: Tuner guys check this: