HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What do you hate about your HHR SS the most?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM

No Six speed and 19 inch wheels.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 PM

I love the SS.

I had plastic noise but I fixed it and I hate the small speedo but I fixed it with the Aeroforce scan meter. Oh the dome light in the 08 sucked but I flipped the rear one and all is fine. Chip I fixed them too. Not hard on a solid color and that is why I bought a solid color even though I liked the blue.

As for the cheap interior I do wish it had an interior on the level of the Malibu or new Cruze.

At this point I have been as happy with my SS as much or more than most of the new cars I have ever had. Note this is from a FWD Hating V8 lover.

If I had to buy one again today I would with no hesitation.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney B
No Six speed and 19 inch wheels.
Actually, GM said that the six speed that they testing in the concept was slower than the 5 speed, which is why they kept it out.

Not that many cars have 19 inch wheels. It is an uncommon size from the factory which inflates the tire prices for that size wheel. The Pontiac G8 had 19's stock and my buddy found that out when he did some research and spoke to a few tire dealers. I think the 18s are a good size, the HHR just sits a bit high. I've seen pics of it with a full petter's suspension on it and running lower and it looks really mean.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Okay I've had the ss from hell.

Turbo failed
Wastegate tsb failed
Tire sensors all failed
Chrome pitted and flaked off
Detuned the auto
Paint chips (all gms this bad)

Lol I love the car, I hate mine of it..
Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi

Turbo failed
Wastegate tsb failed
Tire sensors all failed
Detuned the auto

When the heck did your turbo fail Sunflower???
Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 PM

A week after I got the car... 13k on the car at that point.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 PM

My SS has been very good to me. Sorry for those who have not been as fortunate.

The only thing that I don't like about the HHR is the lack of a dome light override. We always use this feature in our GM pickup and our GM SUV at the kid's BMX races. When we bring the HHR, the entry lights under the rear view mirror stay on continuously when we have the hatch or doors open, which is often hours at a time (for tool, helmet, parts & Gatorade access). I'm finding myself closing the doors all the time which is somewhat of a pain, but at least the interior doesn't get so dusty...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I love the SS.

I had plastic noise but I fixed it and I hate the small speedo but I fixed it with the Aeroforce scan meter. Oh the dome light in the 08 sucked but I flipped the rear one and all is fine. Chip I fixed them too. Not hard on a solid color and that is why I bought a solid color even though I liked the blue.

As for the cheap interior I do wish it had an interior on the level of the Malibu or new Cruze.

At this point I have been as happy with my SS as much or more than most of the new cars I have ever had. Note this is from a FWD Hating V8 lover.

If I had to buy one again today I would with no hesitation.
that is what i like to hear, see i am going from a 2000 silverado to a hhr ss and i love my truck more than life but i just put 80$ in it today and its only going to last me a week and a half, i dont understand what you mean about the dome light? can you explain about what is wrong with it??
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi

Turbo failed
Wastegate tsb failed
Tire sensors all failed
Detuned the auto

What Chome? Only the tail pipe is polished stainless and the wheels are polished Aluminum. What Chrome am I not thinking of?

The paint issues are because of the Eviromentalist and the EPA. GM uses what they are allowed to use with the new rules. All new cars today have a water based enamel paint that is hard and likes to chip.

It also does not help with the shape and styling of the nose on the HHR. A lot of exposed frontal paint.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
that is what i like to hear, see i am going from a 2000 silverado to a hhr ss and i love my truck more than life but i just put 80$ in it today and its only going to last me a week and a half, i dont understand what you mean about the dome light? can you explain about what is wrong with it??
The 08 had a done light like the early model HHR's that really is a small Led with map lights. The real light only lit up the cargo area. The guys with the 08's will turn the rear light around so it will shine to the front and still lite up the rear.

I will in time find a 09 and up front light and wire it in. I also wish it had foot well lights. If you drop something at night on black carpet it is a bear to find.

I was not a FWD 4 cylinder fan and really could give or take on a HHR at one time. Then I drove the SS and the way it drove sold me. It also helped the Colorado really suck. I just could not bring myself to buy one based on styling and interior alone.

Quick Reply: What do you hate about your HHR SS the most?