HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What do you hate about your HHR SS the most?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
Definitely the rattles in the headliner.... annoying.

Cheap. Crap.
nice does that too, sucks
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I can show you a few dealers I would love to see closed. I still love the one that told me I could not get my HHR SS for less than $25K. I was tempted to take the one I got for much less and show him the paperwork. He told me the other dealer was lying. Well they were telling a much cheaper truth.

I had another with false advertising and lied to me about the price. Then gave me a horrid price. I can only imagine these service departments were not much better.
I can agree with all sorts of stuff like this. The worst thing I have ever seen a car happens at all local dealerships around where I live. (Army Post Fort Campbell KY) They see a young kid come back from deployment and talk him into buying a 25,000 mustang GT or some other car that appeals to the younger male audience and dont cut a penny off the price.

It really sucks for some of these young kids who this is their first time away from home and have saved up a few thousand over a yearlong deployment only to buy a car and fall into debt paying it off. Its not all the dealers fault, but for a 19 year old kid who thinks he's getting a great deal on a new Camaro, I kind of feel bad.

Sorry bout that I had to vent
Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Lack of decent cup holders....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM

2 turbo failures in 30k miles..... yeah 2nd happened tonight.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

We are sorry to hear about a Saturn wagon picking on your SS. Do you have an appt. with Mr. Bent Wrench yet?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM

Bot yet broke at 9:30 tonight, ran codes at friends shop. gonna go oncei get the girls at work tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Nothing. NOT one thing at all!

Of course, I kept the 6-7 Grand Extra an "SS", would have cost where it belongs, in My pocket.

I instead bought a 2LT Panel loaded up with the options I wanted on it. And have been Customizing the 2LT Black Panel to my liking and I am still many thousands ahead. I even bought my 2LT used with Low miles and that saved me about Half over buying the same New. (And now you can't even buy a New 2LT Panel)

So I am way ahead here.

Even with the low resale value of the HHR's, I am still far ahead. I knew it going in so I bought wisely and knew I would be Keeping my Panel for the long term, so resale won't come into play here. And I paid it off in 8 months so I own it free and clear now, once the 5 year warranty is done, I can make it go Fast.

Forgetting the fact that you chose to ignore the threadstarter's question (which clearly doesn't apply to you, as you don't own an SS), what exactly was your point with this? That SS owners somehow got ripped off because they're not as "smart" of a shopper as you claim to be?

I and plenty of other SS owners are plenty happy with the premium we paid to purchase them. We don't have to wait five years to get ours to go fast...they do that right out of the box, and for anywhere from $600-$800, one simple GM mod makes them go even faster, and without killing any warrantees. The only downside seems to be finding a dealership that can install the LNF Turbo Upgrade correctly, but I'm 28k into my SS experience (20k w/the upgrade) and haven't had one single issue yet.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the SS also has a custom body kit (front and rear bumpers, and unique side skirts), 18" SS-specific rims, a different gauge face, and custom SS interior seating (it's not leather, but it's sharp nonetheless). If those aren't your bag, fine, but it's not like the extra money spent goes only goes to performance...performance that is quite impressive for the SS's price point, no matter how you choose to look at it.

If you're happy with your 2LT panel, great, just not sure why you had to reply to a thread that clearly has nothing to do with your ride, or why you'd want to try to knock the SS in the process.

Anyway, back on topic...my only real complaint has to do with the interior, and I can accept its "cheapness", as Chevy had to cut corners somewhere to deliver us a car that can compete with Mustang and Camaro V6es. But now that I've done HHRSSouth's waterfall paint mod and installed a Chevy script over the glovebox (for a combined $160), it just seems more creativity could have been realized with the SS's interior, straight from the factory...the seats are great though.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
GM made a lot of claims on the Six speed in the Kappa and Delta platfroms hooked to the LNF.

The truth is the 6 speed work really well but GM had little money to really do it right. The six speed in the HHR would not fit and to make it fit would mean they would have had to redo the body and pan. This would have cost a ton of money as DOT would have made them recrash test the car since the structure was redone. This would have cost a lot of money GM just did not have in 06-08.

The Solstice a six speed was not used due to the fact they were using a lot of off the shelf parts including the transmission and rear axle. They were doing all they could to keep cost down. Note the fog light turn signals in the front are Grand Prix units and the rear reflectors and back up lights are GMC Envoy.

The 2.0 Turbo post Chapter 11 in the Regal and all future cars will carry a 6 speed or better.

Yea, future cars will almost all be 6 speeds just due to the MPG and gas prices. I agree their excuse for not using a 6 speed sounded fishy, as it is the lower gear ratios that determine acceleration not the top end... I would agree with your points more than theirs. Sounds logical. Theirs doesn't.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
I have a folder of things this one place fixed only to brake a month or so later and have the papers from the new place fixing it. Should be a nice email to GM once I get it all delt with.

What's Karen's contact. lol
You need to sue GM under the Magnuson Warranty Act. I did and you've had worse problems than I did. I only got 2500 back, but you could get more considering you prob. paid more for the 2k10 than I paid for my 2k8 and you've had turbo issues and I didn't. Just do a search for a lawyer that specializes in that and have all your paperwork. It will take a few months, but they will settle with you, guaranteed.

The turbo issues you had, sounds like to me that the dealership didn't swap the original failed turbo and just refurbished it with new bearings and seals hoping to save a buck only to screw you. Not that they will ever admit it... if you ever think something is fishy, always request to see the used part especially if it is a major component. It is a shame that we have to protect ourselves like that, but if you don't know the dealership well, then it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I would trade my SS for the S6 wagon but I would owe them about 20k I would not have to add dual dual exhaust or led tails.
I love the Audi wagon as well... but it will be years before I drop my HHR SS as I'm about to pay it off.

Quick Reply: What do you hate about your HHR SS the most?