HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Who does this.....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

1panel2NV......

Thanks for the link to the HP tuners post, but the link inside of that post will not load.......I am not a member.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Now Hyper.....

I usually agree with most of your statements. But in this instance it's apparent, from what you said, that you know very little about oil analysis. And that is the key to an analysis......understand what the values, or combination of values, mean.

rgraboske......

I would suggest changing oil a little more frequently, especially in a DI engine. That will move the dilution to a lower value. But it's your choice.
Think what you want.

To me most times it is like most of us reading our own Cat Scans.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

I do, thank you !!

And you do, also......

Just wondering, why a colonoscopy or CAT scan as an analogy. That would be like shoving a camera up the tail pipe to look at the cylinder walls and dissecting the ECM for a electrical short.

Although I have heard of using human blood tests as the analogy, since oil is the "life-source".

Anyway, my point for this thread.....

While researching information for another thread/topic, I was told that some concerns are being raised regarding the DI engines and oil dilution by fuel. IN some instances, the values ARE RUNNING HIGHER THAN NORMAL, potentially resulting in the reduction of useful engine life.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM

I do, thank you !!

And you do, also......

Just wondering, why a colonoscopy or CAT scan as an analogy. That would be like shoving a camera up the tail pipe to look at the cylinder walls and dissecting the ECM for a electrical short.

Although I have heard of using human blood tests as the analogy, since oil is the "life-source".

Anyway, my point for this thread.....

While researching information for another thread/topic, I was told that some concerns are being raised regarding the DI engines and oil dilution by fuel. IN some instances, the values ARE RUNNING HIGHER THAN NORMAL, potentially resulting in the reduction of useful engine life.
Worrying about this is just anal........... sorry!

In a world where most people just don't change their oil let alone check it and their cars still rack up 100's of thousands of miles I just see more important things to worry about.

There was one guy years ago let me change his oil for the first time at 90,000 miles. He said he bought the truck for economy and was not going to put anymore in it than needed. Needs less to say it still went 250,000 miles and he only stoppe using it because the frame rotten inhalf.

We even had a truck that has so much gas in the oil it that it ignited blowing the gaskets out of the valve covers. The Oil fill blew across the parking lot. The carb was repaired and the engine went on for 500,000 plus miles with no other ill effects.

I have seen engines used and abused to such degrees it is insane what most will take. As long as you don't over heat one they will take a lot. Oil is just something in my view that needs not to be micro analyzed just changed on time.

The DI engine issues are very misunderstood as it is a new system. For the most the engine will tell you if it is rich or has an issue. Also with the way the new DI system and how it works it will burn cleaner than any carberator ever did. The whole idea for DI is emmissions and more efficent engines that provide better power.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not worried about it! I just can't believe statements that some people will make.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with running rich.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm not worried about it! I just can't believe statements that some people will make.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with running rich.
The fact is millions of engines run in so many poor conditions and repair and they just keep right on running. Engine failure is rare these days and too often see a lot made of these test and seldom see anyone do anything about it or it make much difference.

Most engine failures today are catastropic in nature at lower miles and most engines even in poor condition still run long after the car is well used up. Todays engines are not like in the past where ring jobs were the norm.

The funny part is they have taken things out of our gas and oil that hurt our engines more than anything. Just try to break in a new cam today without the proper break in lube. Todays oils no longer have the Zink to help anylonger and often people wipe out cams because they don't know that the Zink is missing let alone what it did.

I guess I have see these oil test too often used as a sales ploy for oil additives that really are not needed if the engine is cared for properly. While most do not hurt things [some do] they are really not needed no matter the claims. Like I have stated on other things. What once was true in the past no longer applies to many of the things on our cars today. But yet many things live on as people do not keep upto date.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 AM

Interesting..I had a '64 Impala 283 that i tried to blow up.....and couldnt. Had a #4 cyl top ring that was..gone. Would blow the oil cap off everytime it was stomped on in low gear(powerglide)..and would literally blow the oil out the tube....so being young and mostly broke I used to run drain oil ( used oil from oil changes that gas stations used to store in 55 gal drums) and then only added after the oil light came on, one time for over 6 miles! Cold mornings I would start it and go straight to the floor, after that I put it in gear and drove off.Had a 327 3 spd/od waiting to go in so didnt care, maybe thats why it never died! That was my first lesson on oil and what some of these motors can handle.
When you open up a motor that purrs and find that under the valve cover is so caked that it acts like push rod guides and has holes where the rocker arm travels it makes you wonder. Have seen alot of WTF engines that could! Wouldnt worry about a little fuel..once upon a time recip aircraft engines used gas as a dilutent to start up on cold mornings when the 50wt oil just wouldnt flow, and look how well they did.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 AM

I had a 283 that wouldn't blow up either..... 327 sitting there waiting too. Funny
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 AM

Nice! Last time I made the attempt was after 1st gear finally quit( but if you could coast up to 15 it would shift into drive!!).. again I held it to the floor ( about 4 min) and it died..sorta...changed out the melted points and it started right up. Gave up after that and did the swap.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 AM

I will tell you I have seen some crazy things that engine will do and still keep on running with no ill effects.

One guy in High School even drained his oil in auto shop and drove the car home 5 miles. He had no oil pressure light and it was an old slant six Plymouth so the solid lifters made noise anyway. Once he got home he remembered the oil when he found it in the trunk. He added it and the car went on for several more years with no ill effects.

We also had a lot of guys with Vegas for winter beaters. They used oil due to the engine not having cylinder liners. So we would save the crappy used motor oil to use in them since it would burn anyaway. Those cars would rust and burn oil but they kept running and running for ever and only when the bodys were rusted beyond driving did they not enter the road again. One even got hit by a local TV reporter van and that did not even stop that owner or the next from driving it.

One went to the junk yard and then someone bought it and it went two more years.