HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Who else got a new SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
I'd almost advise against that... You'll wind up hating on your new car. I think Honda's manuals are the best in the car world. They are buttery smooth. I've heard they use teflon and it feels like it. I had an Integra a few years back bought it new and I marveled at how nice it shifted. Never notchy, always smooooooth.

My Z28's 6 speed on the other hand always feels a bit notchy. The shift into 2nd can be a bit of a grind once in a while. I had to have it rebuilt at only 41K too, which really fried my a$$. "Slightly rough around the edges" as you describe yours, says it perfectly.

Bottom line, GM does not build the transmissions that Honda makes, no one does, although some of the other Japanese car companies come closer than GM, Ford and Chrysler. So go ahead and drive that Civic... you'll see.
jmho.
As much as I am a die-hard Chevy fan, I'll have to agree Honda is the best when it comes to manual shifting feel. A friend has an S2000 that has the shortest throw, slickest shifting trans I have ever driven. The SS will get better as it breaks in though, that has always been my experience.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 PM

mine's on the boat....

I got the news from my dealer last week that my HHR SS is now (this was as of Jan 11th) on a boat from Mexico where they make it.... then to Port Hunanie (sp?) which is about 2 hours north of me.. I should have it by the end of the month. It sounds like everyone is just waiting on delivery. does ANYONE have one under their butts? I've been told this may be the first to arrive in CA... Already ordered the smoke overlays for the headlights and bowtie overlays (black)....
... I got lucky.. I have an 06 HHR now but GM is buying it back because of multiple problems w/ the back brakes. basically, they are taking back my 06 and giving me a fully loaded automatic (Im in LA... NOT a place for a stick) for about 2 grand for upgrades....
pics to follow...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM

When I ordered my '06 it came by ship and docked in National City near San Diego.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM

GOT MINE TODAY. Although I was getting impatient, the cool thing is there are now some great incentives. Got $2500 in incentives, plus my GM Card Earnings. Everything I hoped it would be, this car is a blast to drive even at 10 lbs max boost. Handles way better on rough pavement than I expected. Has exactly the kind of ride and responsiveness I like, nice and solid, no squeaks or rattles. Shifts fine, no Honda S2000, but fine. Stubby billet antenna, removed rear wiper replaced with polished spacer and acorn nut (nice spike actually). More later!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
GOT MINE TODAY. Although I was getting impatient, the cool thing is there are now some great incentives. Got $2500 in incentives, plus my GM Card Earnings. Everything I hoped it would be, this car is a blast to drive even at 10 lbs max boost. Handles way better on rough pavement than I expected. Has exactly the kind of ride and responsiveness I like, nice and solid, no squeaks or rattles. Shifts fine, no Honda S2000, but fine. Stubby billet antenna, removed rear wiper replaced with polished spacer and acorn nut (nice spike actually). More later!
Picking mine up Mon but traded in an 07 GXP with same turbo motor. Just
wait till you get the boost up to 17-19 psi and the grin on your face won't go away.
You will see on these motors that because of torque management, the boost
will not be consistant depending on temps mainly. Some warmer days you
may need 18 psi to reach torque peak but on colder days it may only take 15 psi to reach same level.

Over the past year, some fairly easy mods have been found. HP Tuners
will allow you to tune fuel tables but they have yet to figure out how to
modify boost tables so a flash alone will allow big hp increase. People have
found some others ways and there is a tune from Hahn with a PPC
controller that works well on GXP/Redline and should be available for SS
soon.

turbofreak
retired engineer GM raceteam
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
This is great getting to hear reviews of actual owners of an SS. So you're one of the few who own a manual, have you tried the no-lift shift feature? Also, does 1st gear seem a little too short and you feel like you have to shift too soon?

Im chompin at the bit to get me one of these and hope to this spring. I test drove an auto with like 14 miles on it so Im looking forward to the day I can test a manual hopefully with a few more miles on it...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
This is great getting to hear reviews of actual owners of an SS. So you're one of the few who own a manual, have you tried the no-lift shift feature? Also, does 1st gear seem a little too short and you feel like you have to shift too soon?

Im chompin at the bit to get me one of these and hope to this spring. I test drove an auto with like 14 miles on it so Im looking forward to the day I can test a manual hopefully with a few more miles on it...
I haven't tried the "no lift" yet, I'll wait until I have some more miles on it, but doubt I'll actually use that feature much. Regarding first gear, I think it may feel short simply because it will accelerate so quick that you run through it very quickly. I think that if it was taller you might need to slip the clutch too much to get going (especially on a hill). One thing that surprised me is the clutch is super light, fine once you get used to it, but almost no resistance.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM

yeah, i would imagine the no lift shift thing is something you wanna do when the car gets broken in a bit more...

A good fix for the short first gear would be a 6-speed, eh?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Back In Black

I picked up my black SS Friday afternoon. I saw it at the dealer Thursday evening and we made the deal over the phone Friday morning as the dealer was over 50 miles from me. It was pretty much as I was going to order except it was without the performance seat and had roof racks and an XM radio that I could have done without. My son and I painted the calipers red on a rainy Saturday. I had the car two days before the sunroof worked. It finally came out Sunday for a while before becoming cold. It drives really well but I haven't pushed the go pedal very hard yet. It had six miles when I first drove it and it has 260 in the parking lot here at work Monday. I'd post a picture but don't know how.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:42 AM

My Ss Gets To Los Angeles!!!!

got a call yesterday... "Hey Dave, I just got out of your rocket...." It's the sales manager at my chevy dealer.. My car just got there. Silver, fully loaded ss..... Went by to do some paperwork today so i can get it away from them quicker when i go to pick it up tomororw afternoon. Of course i had to stop by and say hello to her..... Freggin gorgeous! I got the ebony/gray interior, auto (sorry, i live in LA..had to do it)...
pictures to come since all the pics you see are red.
SO, i think im actually first in california to have one...
anyone else?