HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Winter driving blues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
Well PUT!
Yep.
There's only 3 kinds of drivers in Cleveland, insane and stupid.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM

It is not Cleveland it is Ohio.

You know they invented turn signals here because in the old days you would signal a left turn and pull back a bloody stump here in Akron.

Also since the stop light was invented in Cleveland [no joke as they still have it] that make stopping optional for all in NE Ohio.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Oh yes, I was speaking regionally. Actually, that driving mindset is particular to the South shore of Lake Erie. From Detroit to Buffalo and all points in between.

I've driven all over this country, and nowhere do they drive like here. I mean, I'm going 78 MPH on the Shoreway and cars pass me like I'm standing still.

Must be a genetic cradle-of-the-automobile thing we inherit.

Oh and P.S.
I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus. 90 MPH + The only time it slows is when the OHP puts out a pace car at 78!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Oh yes, I was speaking regionally. Actually, that driving mindset is particular to the South shore of Lake Erie. From Detroit to Buffalo and all points in between.

I've driven all over this country, and nowhere do they drive like here. I mean, I'm going 78 MPH on the Shoreway and cars pass me like I'm standing still.

Must be a genetic cradle-of-the-automobile thing we inherit.

Oh and P.S.
I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus. 90 MPH + The only time it slows is when the OHP puts out a pace car at 78!

I was shocked last year when I made the San Diego to Anaheim run in California. I ran with the pack at 95 MPH the whole way and if you signaled they let you in! I though what a concept!

The run south on 77 between Akron and Canton can be like the last lap at Daytona.

But also to be fair most 75% of the people can drive in the snow. That 25% that can't drive with a death grip and just clog the roads up.

I had an idiot on 77 yesterday after the plows ran doing 18 MPH. He just about got a lot of people piled up. If it was in the AM when the roads were unplowed 18 was still a little slow but at least understandable. But with pavement showing and the road clear 18 MPH is a little insane.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM

The car isn't bad with snows. I have Blizzaks 17's and it goes through almost anything. I have noticed it tends to pull right in slush ect.

yeah, she makes a good snow plow on unplowed roads but no overheating here!

the rear defrost is ok but the wiper sucks.

It sure as heck aint as good as my Jeep was but I haven't gotten stuck either!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Oh yes, I was speaking regionally. Actually, that driving mindset is particular to the South shore of Lake Erie. From Detroit to Buffalo and all points in between.I've driven all over this country, and nowhere do they drive like here.
I don`t find that area too bad if you ever get to drive any where near Montreal Quebec you will never be the same again.I think they get their licence at birth they would never pass a test any where else in North America.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 AM

Cleveland drivers are the worst. Asleep at the wheel, yakking on cell phones, putting on lipstick etc. etc. The worst part is that every year, or even after a few warm days, they seem to forget that snow is slippery, and have to learn all over again the hard way. Let's not even talk about 4WD SUV drivers who think they're invincible until they have to stomp the brakes or cut the wheel, and find out exactly how uncooperative 5,000 Lbs at 60 MPH can be on snow. The ditches are littered with them.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 AM

Heh, Sounds like up here in Boston. I guess we all have the same idiots no matter where you live.

If it snows, they will come out.

Actually they are always around us, they just show up better when the roads turn to crap.

One day going home on 93N it was raining cats, dogs, frogs, fish, you name it, and this moron flies by me in the passing lane, hits a long puddle and the car does a little shimmy. You think he would learn, slow down, get out of the high speed lane, water collects there in a monsoon. No, he keeps going. Now he is about six car lengths in front of me, hit another puddle, I can clearly see the car lift up in the air about 2-3 inches and he looses it, does two 360's and a 180, stops facing the wrong way and I am watching this guy crap his pants as he goes round and round while me and the car beside me slow down. He sits there for a second realizing that 50 cars are coming at him at 60 mph, cuts the wheel, hits the gas and pulls over to the shoulder. The guy in the car beside me and I wave to him, give him a thumbs up, and go on our way before we get 50 cars up our collective arses. I laughed all the way home.

Oh yeah, if I had my old pickup truck I would have run into him for sure, the anti lock brakes on the HHR on wet pavement work like a charm.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Yep.
There's only 3 kinds of drivers in Cleveland, insane and stupid.
Ok I'l bite, what's the third?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Ok I'l bite, what's the third?
Thanks DrLoch, the suspense is killing me

Quick Reply: Winter driving blues.