"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Cabin Air Filter? Well...duh!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Cabin Air Filter? Well...duh!

A week or so ago, I was on the phone with a pal of mine who works for Denso here in the U.S. Initially, I called to ask a question about the Iridium Power spark plugs I use in my '07. Next, I asked her what new products was Denso marketing in the U.S. She asked if my HHR had a "Cabin Air Filter" and if it did, had I ever changed it. She waited on the phone I flipped open the owners manual–nothing about a cabin air filter. Got out the Factory Service Manual and found HHRs do have CAFs. "Up until today, I never knew an HHR had a CAF," I admited.

"You've owned the truck for seven years and never changed that filter? Yuk! I'll send you some of them."

A few days later, a box arrives from Denso with some CAFs in it. I open up one of the packages and out comes a cabin air filter, brilliantly white in it's clean-and-freshness. Reading the FSM, again, I learned the CAF in an HHR is actually known as a "Passenger Compartment Air Filter" and is behind the instrument panel, above the instrument panel compartment (or "glove box") door.

I removed the compartment door damper screw, squeezed the sides of the door then dropped it down, past its stops. Then, I popped the door off its hinge pins. With the compartment out of the way, I could see a flip-down, filter cover which I opened. Dead bugs and dirt fell out and I slid the cabin air filter out. It was black with soot and dirt with gross looking fuzzies, a few seeds and twigs stuck to it. Basically, the filter was disgusting.

With the old filter in the garbage, I got my shopvac and sucked up more dirt and fuzzies stuck on the CAF cover then vacuumed the mess off my passenger side WeatherTech Floorliner. Finally, I pushed the new Denso Filter into its mount, closed the cover and snapped the locks back in place. I pushed the compartment door assembly back on its hinges, reconnected the damper, replaced it's retention screw and closed the I/P compartment. True to Denso's oft-mentioned claim of "first time fit", the filter took all of 5 minutes to change.

I started the engine. Turned the air conditioner on high and noted right away that the cold air flow out of the vents had improved. That grungy, seven-year old filter must have been a significant restriction.

Lessons learned: 1) check the cabin air fillter every 15,000 miles rather than once after 125,000 miles in seven years and 2) Use a Denso #453-5004 CAF.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice and humorous write up Hib.

(A little hint. Just join in on our forum discussions a little more often.
The cabin air filter has only been discussed here about a gazillion times. )
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Don't feel so bad. I have an '07 and just changed the CAF last summer. I knew it was there, but what's the old saying, out of sight out of mind.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
A week or so ago, I was on the phone with a pal of mine who works for Denso here in the U.S. Initially, I called to ask a question about the Iridium Power spark plugs I use in my '07. Next, I asked her what new products was Denso marketing in the U.S. She asked if my HHR had a "Cabin Air Filter" and if it did, had I ever changed it. She waited on the phone I flipped open the owners manual–nothing about a cabin air filter. Got out the Factory Service Manual and found HHRs do have CAFs. "Up until today, I never knew an HHR had a CAF," I admited.

"You've owned the truck for seven years and never changed that filter? Yuk! I'll send you some of them."

A few days later, a box arrives from Denso with some CAFs in it. I open up one of the packages and out comes a cabin air filter, brilliantly white in it's clean-and-freshness. Reading the FSM, again, I learned the CAF in an HHR is actually known as a "Passenger Compartment Air Filter" and is behind the instrument panel, above the instrument panel compartment (or "glove box") door.

I removed the compartment door damper screw, squeezed the sides of the door then dropped it down, past its stops. Then, I popped the door off its hinge pins. With the compartment out of the way, I could see a flip-down, filter cover which I opened. Dead bugs and dirt fell out and I slid the cabin air filter out. It was black with soot and dirt with gross looking fuzzies, a few seeds and twigs stuck to it. Basically, the filter was disgusting.

With the old filter in the garbage, I got my shopvac and sucked up more dirt and fuzzies stuck on the CAF cover then vacuumed the mess off my passenger side WeatherTech Floorliner. Finally, I pushed the new Denso Filter into its mount, closed the cover and snapped the locks back in place. I pushed the compartment door assembly back on its hinges, reconnected the damper, replaced it's retention screw and closed the I/P compartment. True to Denso's oft-mentioned claim of "first time fit", the filter took all of 5 minutes to change.

I started the engine. Turned the air conditioner on high and noted right away that the cold air flow out of the vents had improved. That grungy, seven-year old filter must have been a significant restriction.

Lessons learned: 1) check the cabin air fillter every 15,000 miles rather than once after 125,000 miles in seven years and 2) Use a Denso #453-5004 CAF.
Hib, I changed the filter on my 2011 after 2 years and found it to be sort of a dirty gray color. Talking with the Chevy folks I found out that some of these filters are that color originally as they contain a charcoal medium for odor control as well as air filter. Chevy dealer filters are about 2-3 times price wise what auto store sell them for because of the charcoal medium. I went with the plain white ones and will change them with regularity. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Deceased

Good write up Hib, and yes those filters can be "icky" when they come out.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Hmmm...I've only changed mine once. Maybe I need to look at it again. Lol
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Technical Moderator

It was addressed with pics in my 2008 and 2011 OM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Very nice and humorous write up Hib.

(A little hint. Just join in on our forum discussions a little more often.
The cabin air filter has only been discussed here about a gazillion times. )
A "gazillion"? Wow. That's a lot. I had no idea the majority of the content on this site related to CAFs.

I apologize for beating a horse to death, "firemangeorge".

The main point of the story was to display my stupidity in never having been aware my truck had a CAF.

Again, I didn't mean to use up bandwidth and I admit to not having read all the previous posts on cabin filters.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

No problem Hib - me, I would have just reversed the filter and let it blow off the debris. Presto: good for another 100,000 miles!!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Great write up Hib. Just changed mine in both a 2006 and 2010 and both were really cruddy.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter? Well...duh!