"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ezeerider
Whopper, u da man!!!!
I would really like to thank you guys for all your hard work in putting this thread together. I had the "SERVICE TRACTION" and engine light problem too. I thought I was going to have to test wheel spin sensors and its wiring and who knows what else. Bounced the problem off of some gearhead friends of mine, and nobody had a clue. I came here to this site, read thru the fix, and just like ya'll said, 20 minutes and I was done. This bad boy is fixed...... and now all my friends think I'm some kinda genius for figuring it all out. We'll just keep this little secret between us... ok? Thanks again, guys.
yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! LOL good thing you can read eh?

It really has been a group effort with all the contributions to the thread. Glad it worked out for ya man.

cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 AM

Great Instructions!

Instructions were very thorough and clear. Unfortunately, I spent probably about 20-30 of those 45 minutes trying to get that dang gray clip out.

Don't know why it was stuck on there so well, I eventually broke it into pieces accidentally when trying to pull it out with some pliers. At least I got it out and I finally was able to remove the connector from the top of the solenoid. I just discarded the pieces from the gray clip. Didn't seem like the connector even needed it to stay snug in the first place.

It was a little difficult to pull the solenoid itself out of the engine, too! Even after I had already took out the screw holding it in.

--

Anyway, bought the Intake Solenoid off eBay for like $50. Don't know if it fixed the problem yet. Hard shifting didn't happen all the time I started the engine, but it happened often enough. Perhaps every other time I would start it, so once or twice a day. It would especially happen after leaving the freeway or after idling for more than a couple of minutes.

I'll definitely report back in a month or two to say for sure! Thanks whopper!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

At least you got it swapped out. :-) YEah, I hate those clips they use on everything from headlights to all the sensors/widgets under the hood. They don't all work the same way to facilitate their removal. I can't remember the specifics on those one, but I think the gray part has to be raised out of it's position to allow the clip to be pressed to unhook from the hidden prong on the side of the solenoid.

Anyways, you got it replaced - hope that resolves the problem for you. And do keep us posted on how it goes for you.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Well, it's almost been 20 days and I haven't had the car shift hard ever since! Thanks everyone, especially whopper. What an awesome Christmas present! lol

Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Wee

Put both solenoids in mine about 2 weeks ago after having the hard shifting and traction control light come on....It never did throw an engine code....So far so good....Got both at the dealer for just under $80.

Brian
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Good stuff guys. Glad to hear it worked for you. Who would have ever thought that the hard shifting symptom would be related to the thing-a-mabobs on the top of the engine. Dang weird cars.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Is this the same on a 2.2?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Nope - the 2.2 does not have variable valve timing like the 2.4L, and therefore does not have the solenoids and other related mechanical bits.

If you are having problems, your first step is to get the error codes stored in the DIC if the Check Engine Light is lit. Without that, you are shooting in the dark.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

whopper- Didn't VVT get added in '09 on the 2.2 ?? IDK ?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Ya got me there sleeper - I think you are right - the LE8 version of the Ecotec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#LE8. I haven't seen any manuals or such for it though.

The answer I guess is ...... "maybe"! LOL

Regardless, the guy has to get the codes dumped from the CEL being triggered.

Hope your Christmas is a good one one sleeper. Keep the shiny side up man.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14