Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14 (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/)

Guido49 09-26-2011 03:06 PM

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Prices

Hi everyone,
I finally got tired enough of the CEL and hard shift stuff after replacing the gas cap and the MAP sensor. I found the following website that actually has the parts (or so they say - I just ordered them today)...both the intake and exhaust solenoids. For quite a decent price, I might add. The retail price each is $50.05 (USD), but check out my order confirmation below. Free Fedex shipping, but they tack on a $7.99 handling fee. All in all, I thought it was a good deal, but I'll let you know once I actually have the parts in hand.

Ordered Items:

Item Detail Part# Qty Price Total
VALVE
Make: Chevrolet 12628348
1 $34.24 $34.24
F-VALVE
Make: Chevrolet 12628347
1 $34.51 $34.51

Order Date/Time 2011-09-26 15:17:19
Shipping Method FedEx Ground 48 States
Estimated Shipping Amount $0.00
State Tax [] $0.00
Freight Amount $0.00
Amount Adjusted $
Handling Fee $7.99
Estimated Order Total $76.74

By the way Whopper, EXCELLENT how-to...saved me tons of agravation...:D

Guido

Guido49 10-01-2011 10:06 AM

Update -

I received these today. They are indeed GM OEM parts as advertised. They are exact replacements. I measured the resistance of both as soon as I got them, and they both read right around 10.5 ohms. The original exhaust valve measured 21+ ohms. I'm gonna put 'em in today and hope for the best.

whopper 10-01-2011 11:09 AM

Guido49 - good deal on the price. And thanks for measuring the resistance of the solenoids - that 10.5 ohms will be a handy thing for diagnosing problems. Did you get the readings for the codes generated by the CEL?

Once replaced, you can put the original intake solenoid on the shelf as a spare, and don't forget to disconnect the battery in the trunk, at least momentarily, to reset the CEL once they are replaced. (it isn't really necessary to disconnect the battery for the replacement of the solenoids, as you will be doing the replacement with the power off).

Best of luck.

Guido49 10-01-2011 02:21 PM

Well, it's done...took 35 minutes from start to finish to replace both solenoids (Valves).
After the test ride, everything was working as it should, i.e., no hard shifts. The CEL was still on (but I forgot to disconnect the battery...big DUH!), so I shut the car off for approx. a minute, then restarted it...CEL went out immediately.

By the way, the part numbers you listed originally were apparently replaced...at least by the above-mentioned site. For your reference:

12628348 = 12646784

12628347 = 12646783

whopper 10-01-2011 03:30 PM

Ahhhh good job Guido. 35 minutes!!! Maybe we should have a contest to see who can do it the fastest. LOL

Thanks for the new part numbers. Glad it all worked out for you man. :)

ChevyMgr 10-01-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Guido49 (Post 592521)
Well, it's done...took 35 minutes from start to finish to replace both solenoids (Valves).
After the test ride, everything was working as it should, i.e., no hard shifts. The CEL was still on (but I forgot to disconnect the battery...big DUH!), so I shut the car off for approx. a minute, then restarted it...CEL went out immediately.

By the way, the part numbers you listed originally were apparently replaced...at least by the above-mentioned site. For your reference:

12628348 = 12646784

12628347 = 12646783

Part number changed due to a recall on the Equinoxs. Hopefully these valves are better.

Greybeard999 10-01-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 592525)
Part number changed due to a recall on the Equinoxs. Hopefully these valves are better.

Everybody gets a recall except the HHR...... We gotta figure this out ourselves. :gnonespet:

donbrew 10-03-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999 (Post 592543)
Everybody gets a recall except the HHR...... We gotta figure this out ourselves. :gnonespet:

Didn't I say something about "red headed step sons"?:gnome:

bigbear2k 10-12-2011 07:10 PM

Long story short. My 2006 HHR 2.4 has a shifting problem just like a lot of people have had.
What I have done so far thanks to many suggestion on cheyhhr.net
Replaced both Camshaft Sensor's Autozone Part Number: SU8902
Had a transmission flush and filter
Checked the mass air flow sensor and connections

Still have the issue

My next question is what is the Autozone part numbers for the two items blow because I must be missing something and I don't want to buy the incorrect parts.

By the way Whopper GREAT POST :twothumbs:

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 452869)

Part numbers:
12628348 - Exhaust cam solenoid
12628347 - Intake cam solenoid

8. Use compressed air to remove any dirt/debris collected around the base of the solenoids.
Close-up shot of the immediate area:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/files/4/8/6/5/cs8.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_JhwqJ2McqtI/S6...0/CIMG3493.JPG

whopper 10-13-2011 03:19 AM

No idea on the Autozone part numbers. But if you get them from Autozone, post the part numbers here for others reference. And if you get them from Autozone, make a note of which is the intake/exhaust for ease of installation.

Myself, I'd stick with the GM parts rather than an aftermarket. GM now recommends some updated parts as noted below. I'd expect they would be updated in comparrison to the aftermarket ones, so I'd go with GM.

The GM numbers are as follows:

------------ Original-----Updated
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784

Intake 12628347 = 12646783

Good luck

whopper 10-13-2011 03:22 AM

Oh, did your CEL kick on? If so, what were the codes?

bigbear2k 10-13-2011 11:58 AM

The check engine light came on again last night I will go get the code tonight after work.

I just ordered two parts for GMPartsCenter.net for a total of $76.47

Ordered Items:
Item Detail Part#
VALVE
Make: Chevrolet
1 $ 34.24
VALVE
Make: Chevrolet
1 $ 34.24

whopper 10-14-2011 12:55 AM

The related codes you might get would be:
P0010 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit
P0011 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
P0013 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit
P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

Now, if the code refers to just one of the solenoids (intake or exhaust), I'd recommend replacing them both while you have it apart. Then put the one good used one on the shelf as a spare for the future.

Don't forget to disconnect the batterys NEGATIVE post (not the positive as you don't want an arc with a wrench between the pos post and ground) - I wouldn't disconnect it myself to prevent any possibility of an electrical problem while replacing the parts - but more to reset the CEL.

Keep us posted :)

bigbear2k 10-18-2011 07:18 PM

Sorry for the delay in reply. I was not able to access the site for a few days.
Anyway
Here is the error code P0014

Thanks again for all the help.
Parts are on the way

Silverfox 10-18-2011 08:44 PM

I just recently started experiencing the light to medium Rattle on start up.
It has happened twice now in about a 4 week time frame.
I pulled the TSB and found it but since then .. Just yesterday I had a fairly loud solid knock on start up ...Not the rattle as before.
Just curious if the rattle is one selenoid and the knock is the other selenoid ???
Both type noises only lasted for about 2 seconds.

Yes it's under warranty but I was wondering how they diagnose which sensor is failing.

2011 model 2.4L

Thoughts ???

BlackknighT 10-18-2011 09:46 PM

Don't mess with it. Knocking is not good if it is on startup... Go to the dealer before something nasty happens.

whopper 10-19-2011 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox (Post 595590)
I just recently started experiencing the light to medium Rattle on start up.
It has happened twice now in about a 4 week time frame.
I pulled the TSB and found it but since then .. Just yesterday I had a fairly loud solid knock on start up ...Not the rattle as before.
Just curious if the rattle is one selenoid and the knock is the other selenoid ???
Both type noises only lasted for about 2 seconds.

Yes it's under warranty but I was wondering how they diagnose which sensor is failing.

2011 model 2.4L

Thoughts ???

and you relate a solid knock and a rattle to a pair of solenoids under the hood? But you didn't get any CEL lighting up, nor any code? and you obviously have not read much of this thread, so take it to a dealer man. Don't mess with it.

Silverfox 10-19-2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 595646)
and you relate a solid knock and a rattle to a pair of solenoids under the hood? But you didn't get any CEL lighting up, nor any code? and you obviously have not read much of this thread, so take it to a dealer man. Don't mess with it.

Right no CEL and no codes.

Took it the Dealer today and guess what they came up with.

They said TSB I downloaded was not the complete bulletin.
They pulled it and the first repair recommendation was replace the Serpentene Belt as no CEL/Codes were displayed.
They orderd the belt and I will have it replaced as soon as they get it in.
They also made mention of a so called (Normal) cam timming chain stretch issue after 3-5000 miles.
We'll see .. but it may take some time as it was only happening every so often.
I will say though, the last episode with the knock kinda thru me.

I now have an official case.....

whopper 10-20-2011 12:07 AM

Good stuff. Glad you hit up the dealer - now it's on record. Hopefully that is the end of the problem. If you have a copy of the bulletin it would be great if you can post some details of it - might come in handy for someone.

Cheers man

bigbear2k 10-23-2011 12:25 PM

Error code P0014

How I fixed error code P0014 with help from everyone on CheyHHR.net
Exhaust 12646784

Intake 12646783

Remove that big plastic pain in the butt air box
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0004-M.jpg

When its removed you will see you have a lot of space to work.
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0006-M.jpg

Make note of the plugs and where they go. NOTE: Don't be like me and break the stupid holding clips. :oops:
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0008-M.jpg

Here is one old valve next to the new $35.00 valve
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0009-M.jpg

And here is the other old valve next to the new $35.00 valve
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0010-M.jpg

And both new Valves installed
http://www.digitalimprints.net/Rando.../DSC0011-M.jpg

whopper 10-23-2011 01:52 PM

Nice! Great pics too.

jay loukakis 10-23-2011 06:09 PM

With all the people tyhat have had the solenoids going bad I think Chevy for good will should write a check to everone that has had to replace them, my local crooked dealer told me to change the brand of gas and just walked away, he is only 3 miles from my house so I deive 25 miles to another chevy dealer, :skull1::skull1::skull1::skull1:

bigbear2k 11-05-2011 10:13 AM

Just an update. The car is still running like new after the Valve change. No check engine light, no kicking. Glad it was a cheap fix and easy fix.

Silverfox 11-07-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox (Post 595807)
Right no CEL and no codes.

Took it the Dealer today and guess what they came up with.

They said TSB I downloaded was not the complete bulletin.
They pulled it and the first repair recommendation was replace the Serpentene Belt as no CEL/Codes were displayed.
They orderd the belt and I will have it replaced as soon as they get it in.
They also made mention of a so called (Normal) cam timming chain stretch issue after 3-5000 miles.
We'll see .. but it may take some time as it was only happening every so often.
I will say though, the last episode with the knock kinda thru me.

I now have an official case.....

Belt has been replaced and so far so good. No start up noises yet.....

Will update again if that changes in status.

ezeerider 11-15-2011 04:56 PM

Are the 2007 HHR LT 2.4 part numbers the same as the 2006 parts?

2006 Part numbers:

whopper 11-15-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ezeerider (Post 601308)
Are the 2007 HHR LT 2.4 part numbers the same as the 2006 parts?

Yes, however - See page 9 of this thread - the parts have been updated -

The GM numbers are as follows:

------------ Original-----Updated
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784

Intake 12628347 = 12646783

Snoopy 11-16-2011 04:16 PM

Whooper....you are da man!!! (at least regarding the Actuator Solenoid Replacement):roflol::lol::thumb::wink::lol::D

whopper 11-17-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 601540)
Whooper....you are da man!!! (at least regarding the Actuator Solenoid Replacement):roflol::lol::thumb::wink::lol::D

:bow::propeller::agree: LOL

Snoopy 11-17-2011 05:48 PM

Sorry about the fat finger on your name !!

ezeerider 11-18-2011 03:52 PM

Whopper, u da man!!!!
I would really like to thank you guys for all your hard work in putting this thread together. I had the "SERVICE TRACTION" and engine light problem too. I thought I was going to have to test wheel spin sensors and its wiring and who knows what else. Bounced the problem off of some gearhead friends of mine, and nobody had a clue. I came here to this site, read thru the fix, and just like ya'll said, 20 minutes and I was done. This bad boy is fixed...... and now all my friends think I'm some kinda genius for figuring it all out. We'll just keep this little secret between us... ok? Thanks again, guys.

whopper 11-18-2011 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ezeerider (Post 601898)
Whopper, u da man!!!!
I would really like to thank you guys for all your hard work in putting this thread together. I had the "SERVICE TRACTION" and engine light problem too. I thought I was going to have to test wheel spin sensors and its wiring and who knows what else. Bounced the problem off of some gearhead friends of mine, and nobody had a clue. I came here to this site, read thru the fix, and just like ya'll said, 20 minutes and I was done. This bad boy is fixed...... and now all my friends think I'm some kinda genius for figuring it all out. We'll just keep this little secret between us... ok? Thanks again, guys.

yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! LOL :roflol: good thing you can read eh? ;)

It really has been a group effort with all the contributions to the thread. Glad it worked out for ya man.

cheers

jaime_g 12-04-2011 02:17 AM

Great Instructions!

Instructions were very thorough and clear. Unfortunately, I spent probably about 20-30 of those 45 minutes trying to get that dang gray clip out. :lol:

Don't know why it was stuck on there so well, I eventually broke it into pieces accidentally when trying to pull it out with some pliers. At least I got it out and I finally was able to remove the connector from the top of the solenoid. I just discarded the pieces from the gray clip. Didn't seem like the connector even needed it to stay snug in the first place.

It was a little difficult to pull the solenoid itself out of the engine, too! Even after I had already took out the screw holding it in.

--

Anyway, bought the Intake Solenoid off eBay for like $50. Don't know if it fixed the problem yet. Hard shifting didn't happen all the time I started the engine, but it happened often enough. Perhaps every other time I would start it, so once or twice a day. It would especially happen after leaving the freeway or after idling for more than a couple of minutes.

I'll definitely report back in a month or two to say for sure! Thanks whopper! :bow:

whopper 12-04-2011 03:39 AM

At least you got it swapped out. :-) YEah, I hate those clips they use on everything from headlights to all the sensors/widgets under the hood. They don't all work the same way to facilitate their removal. I can't remember the specifics on those one, but I think the gray part has to be raised out of it's position to allow the clip to be pressed to unhook from the hidden prong on the side of the solenoid.

Anyways, you got it replaced - hope that resolves the problem for you. And do keep us posted on how it goes for you.

jaime_g 12-23-2011 02:24 PM

Well, it's almost been 20 days and I haven't had the car shift hard ever since! Thanks everyone, especially whopper. What an awesome Christmas present! lol

Happy holidays!

Wee 12-23-2011 06:07 PM

Put both solenoids in mine about 2 weeks ago after having the hard shifting and traction control light come on....It never did throw an engine code....So far so good....Got both at the dealer for just under $80.

Brian

whopper 12-23-2011 09:09 PM

Good stuff guys. Glad to hear it worked for you. Who would have ever thought that the hard shifting symptom would be related to the thing-a-mabobs on the top of the engine. Dang weird cars.

red3737 12-24-2011 01:32 PM

Is this the same on a 2.2?

whopper 12-26-2011 03:10 AM

Nope - the 2.2 does not have variable valve timing like the 2.4L, and therefore does not have the solenoids and other related mechanical bits.

If you are having problems, your first step is to get the error codes stored in the DIC if the Check Engine Light is lit. Without that, you are shooting in the dark.

sleeper 12-26-2011 10:41 PM

whopper- Didn't VVT get added in '09 on the 2.2 ?? IDK ?

whopper 12-27-2011 12:34 AM

Ya got me there sleeper - I think you are right - the LE8 version of the Ecotec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#LE8. I haven't seen any manuals or such for it though.

The answer I guess is ...... "maybe"! LOL

Regardless, the guy has to get the codes dumped from the CEL being triggered.

Hope your Christmas is a good one one sleeper. Keep the shiny side up man.