"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fuel line follies!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Administrator

The fuel lines on our trucklets are getting on and are rusting out . Here’s where to look , for said corrosion

Here at the front under the drivers side at the front clip

A little farther back , no fuel yet be rust at the clip

Here just in front of the drivers side rear tire where the insulation starts

And here where the lines go across to the passengers side up above the EVAP canister.

The clip opening has been addressed before in this thread, thanks Kookie

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...y-clips-60557/

After removing the insulation I found the vapour line was perforated with rust

The line crumbled , this was under the insulation

This was the fuel line just as rusted but not fully through just a pin hole , noted the drip on Saturday night.

This is the fuel soaked insulation, it held moist up in there most likely from condensation

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Administrator

This is the EVAP canister end of the vapour line , you simply squeeze the flat area and the rounded area gently together with pliers and remove from the plastic tube it’s attached to

I used this 3/8’s line tool to remove the fuel rail end , gently push down, then insert the tool and push into the fitting a slide it up and off the pipe

Before started all this , I started the HHR, then removed the fuel pump fuse to let it run out of fuel, and relieve pressure from the fuel line .
I then disconnected the negative cable at the battery , I didn’t want any possibility of sparks.
I opened all the clips and pulled the fuel a vapour lines down, put a catch pan under the lines an cut them with a pipe cutter.
the I removed the fittings and then the old crusty lines.
some more fuel will spill out from the lines into the catch pan, if you star at the front half ,then the back half.

Up under the hood , I routed the new lines up to the fuel pie on the fuel rail and connected the fitting, then the vapour line , the instructions tell you to cut the old line an use the supplied coupler in the hose , that piece with the blue rings.

Up under the back after installing all the clips to support the nylon tubes, I connected the fuel pressure line and the vapour line, and tie wrapped the now dried in the sun insulation above the exhaust pipe. I strongly suggest you wear mechanics gloves , I didn’t, but in hind sight , a couple of bucks at HF , and even if they get soaked in fuel and throw them away. It’s better the scratches and abrasions on my hands.

Now, I know what your thinking, where’s the part about lifting the HHR , jack stands and stuff, the fire extinguishers, just in case.
I have an extinguisher at the ready and bring it out to the area I’m working , not on the wall hook near my tool box 50 feet away.
I use a 1 1/2 ton HF aluminum jack.
I lifted the drivers side only, I did not remove the wheels.
two 2 ton jack stands, placed under the frame just behind the LCA bolt up front and under the swing axle pivot bushing bracket in the rear.
I use two wheel chocks one for the front tire and one at the rear tire, my driveway slopes, so I never trust the E brake or transmission in park , ever!

as I posted in another thread, this job took me 6 hours, I had no assistance, so getting tools and then crawling underneath was a little harder, but I managed.
I will post the rear of the lines , I forgot to do that before I put tge HHR back on the ground.

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM

Nice explanation of the job.
Couldn't you the "plastic" tubing all the way from front to back instead of steel ?
That "plastic" line looks like a product I know of called Synflex. Used for air brake and fuel lines on over the road trucks.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Administrator

I clipped all the nylon or plastic lines into the line brackets and covered them in exposed to road debris area to protect from abrasions

I took the time to route the new lines thru the long protective bracket

Same for the area where the line go up and over the exhaust. I wrap them with the insulation and ty wrapped them

This is over the rear axle and exhaust pipe, insulation sleeve and ty wraps

Here’s the connection for the vapour line to the EVAP canister

This is the pressure line connection to the pipe that goes over the fuel tank to the fuel pump.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Administrator

This is the kit I ordered, much less shipping then the full stainless steel kit I installed in Oldblue in April of 2018. Much easier to put into place . The lines are good quality, the ends are preinstalled except the front end of the vapour line.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Good stuff there laddie. That one deserves a STICKY for sure.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Why Whopper are you telling me to stick it?
in a dismount kinda way or good kinda way?
Glad you liked, my presentation, a little scattered, but if anyone has questions, that’s what I’m here for.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:54 AM
geg

I also really liked
did not expect that trouble could come from this side
there will be an opportunity - I will look at my fuel line
Old 10-02-2019, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Mine started with the check gas cap message , then code P0455, then dripping fuel . I’m very happy it wasn’t in the mall parking lot and someone’s discarded cigarette didn’t start a fire and burn it to the ground.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Great write-up and terrific pics. Thanks for the details.
Great job.

Quick Reply: Fuel line follies!