"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

headliner rattle repair-sunroof models

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM

headliner rattle repair-sunroof models

Ok...slide back your sunroof shade, and pull down carefully on the rear leading edge of the headliner, just behind the sunroof opening. You will see about 2" back a plastic velcro strip mounted to the bottom of the sunroof panel frame, and the top of the headliner. There is one on the driver's side, and one on the passenger side. They are "industrial strength" velcro...almost hard plastic instead of latch and felt like we are used to seeing.

Here's what I did. I bought some velcro(actually, had some in the shop, but...) and cut a piece of each(latch and felt).

Then I cut two small pieces of carboard about the same size as the factory velcro strips...1" by 3". I peeled the back of the sticky tape off both pieces of the velcro I bought, and stuck each on their own piece of cardboard. I then placed both pieces of cardboard, velcro side down, next to each other...and used a piece of tape to join both pieces of cardoboard, like a book seam.

fold the cardboard together so both pieces of cardboard are touching each other with the velcro on the outside. Now you have one piece of velcro facing UP and one facing DOWN. with two pieces of cardboard in between for added thickness to act as a shim, or filler.

pull down the headliner gently, and slip the velcro piece you made in between the headliner, and the roof. Now press UP firmly.

This simple fix just keeps tension on the headliner panel so it doesnt allow the factory velcro to make that obnoxious rattle/ruffle sound. Your new velcro piece helps keep the shim in place working with the factory velcro pieces.

It seems to have worked perfect for me. I drove the car to work this morning, and turned the radio down to listen, and there is no more headliner rattle.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Good description of fixing our poor headliner attachments. But, let me add if the cardboard ever does fail. Because if it ever got wet it would just come apart. Go to a local sign shop and ask if they have any scrap pieces of "D" board which is exactly like was used from the factory.