Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattle in the steering wheel. Still a problem with 2011 models?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM

Rattle in the steering wheel. Still a problem with 2011 models?

Recently I have noticed that there is a rattle in my steering wheel. It is almost a vibration of the steering wheel. It happens usually when I am braking. It doesn't happen all the time. I would say it happens about 60 to 70 percent of the time right now.

In doing a search, it looks like in the past there was some issues with older model HHR's. Is this still a known issue in the more recent models?

Looks like it's time for her first trip to the shop.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Have the front brake rotors checked - sounds like one might be slightly warped.
Be ready though - the rotors can not be turned/resurfaced very much and most of the time are just replaced.
New rotors are not made like the ones on the older cars - cost savings and poor quality materials.
Also, have the calipers checked - one might be sticking a little.
Best of luck
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM

I had the same (Shaking steering wheel when braking) on my HHR about 1 and half year ago. I would suggest you to check the top nut that is attached between the Steering wheel shaft and the steering column. Mine has it loose, leading on this. Yours is new. I suspect that the nut doesn´t have the proper torque from plant (pretty common). I just tighted it, and I rid this.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM

I had that too, they just turned the rotors. About a month later, they started up again, they replaced the rotors and pads-5k miles later, still in good shape.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
I had the same (Shaking steering wheel when braking) on my HHR about 1 and half year ago. I would suggest you to check the top nut that is attached between the Steering wheel shaft and the steering column. Mine has it loose, leading on this. Yours is new. I suspect that the nut doesn´t have the proper torque from plant (pretty common). I just tighted it, and I rid this.
Is this easy to get to? I am very stupid when it comes to car parts.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jrsharp21
Is this easy to get to? I am very stupid when it comes to car parts.
Is under the dash, is easy to access. Just follow the upper rod of the Steering wheel. On the first knot you´ll see a Nut. You just need a 1/2" wrench or socket to tight it.