"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Steering Wheel Dissection - 2011 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Post Steering Wheel Dissection - 2011 HHR

Howdy Folks!
Just swapped my stock 20011 HHR steering wheel for a 2008 Cobalt wheel w/ radio buttons. (Leather,$40.00 OEM surplus on eBay). Since this has been well documented on here, not gonna talk 'bout dat. Some one asked about pictures of the HHR air bag release mechanism, (took a little bit of wiggling myself to get it to pop)Some of the pics good if you'd like to add radio buttons to stock HHR wheel and wish to keep the old harness intact (not PITA, but the wheel's gotta come off!
So decided to operate on the wheel to see what I could see!

this is what you see when the air bag is removed

close up of one of the airbag mounting hole. it is the top hole.

next few pics show a/b plate removed. Don't need to do this, just did it to take pictures

this is the opposite side of the airbag plate, showing the a/b retention springs

closeup of a/b spring.

looking at spring from the "hole in the steering cover" view. can see spring "inside" the plastic loop.

Allen key on spring. this is slightly misleading as the hole in the wheel cover actually directs the key to make contact with the plastic piece first. need to keep pushing till you can slightly raise the air bag, and put something under it to keep it from snapping back into place when you work on the other side.

end view of Allen key & spring. do not pull the end of the key in your hand toward you or it will go under the spring, as shown below.

Allen key engaging the spring looking up from "under" the wheel

Allen key engaging the spring looking down from "top" of the wheel

Allen key on spring with a/b plate mounted in wheel. Notice that the key is guided slightly up. this causes it to hit plastic first before the spring. when looking down in the non-a/b post hole you don't see the key ,as shown in the earlier shot from the other side. push key, lift bag, and you got it!!!

these pics are for getting the stock button harness out without cutting it .

first remove wheel. flip it over, remove (4) phillips head screws. remove wheel cover & see this!

can't get any easier than this, unless you get somebody else to do it!

Go to JerseyJames' Gallery
If you're not sure of what you're looking at, or which ways up ... STOP!! ask a stupid question(s)!!! , They are DEFINITELY easier to handle than STUPID MISTAKES !!!
Hope this helps peeps with steering wheel questions.
will sell old wheel (cruise buttons only). Will upgrade the HHR wheel to have radio buttons & send the blank spoke cover & NON-CUT cruise button harness as well if buyer requests .

Last edited by JerseyJames; 09-01-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: adding pics & captions
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM

How is the new wheel? Change the feel of the car? And was the swap easy.

Oh and welcome.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Swap was piece o' cake! didn't even use a wheel puller, just a little WD-40 , pull & wiggle. Used instructions on here for the swap. Haven't really wrung it out on my favorite "twisty-turny" road but still too busy with " volume up ,volume down, station next, station previous" thing ... found out when you reach the end of displayed presets, going up with station button automatically brings up the next bank of presets! next upgrade will be a I-Pod / HD radio adapter ... when the change jar gets filled again!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Cool. I want to do the swap. Just wondering if it makes the steering tighter or doesnt change it much.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Founding Member

I think you can post the pics. Just bring up the pic, highlight the BB CODE copy it and then paste that address into your post. Try it. If it doesn't work then I will post them, but you will have to tell me what order they go in.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Yeah, was being lazy ... pics and captions are up
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Cobalt Steering wheel

Originally Posted by swerv0428
Cool. I want to do the swap. Just wondering if it makes the steering tighter or doesnt change it much.
hmmm ... steering effort, can't really detect a change. smaller diameter wheel means arms don't have to move as much when "maneuvering" them twisty road, but haven't been there yet. lot of people on here have done this for various reasons & have them on longer. Find someone with a SS that has done it, they may have a better feel of how it helps (or not) "maneuvering" them turns at slightly ... hmmm ... "extra-legal" speeds.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Isn't the HHR SS wheel already a little smaller than the regular HHR wheel? It may be the same size as the 'balt wheel.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I did this swap a month ago, more comfortable , but no change on steering effort or input while canyon craving the 441 heading north into Pigeon Forge Tn and there were alot of twists and turns. I have noticed the comfort of the leather,more though