"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JPSpen
does anyone know where the far end of the purple wire is ?
I don't have a schematic so I don't know where to start looking....
Thanks

John
Unless you are doing something different, there is no need to find the far end. Go to the first post in this thread for the location (the BCM is on pass. side of the waterfall, if that's what you mean).
Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Well, I was thinking if it terminated out under the hood somewhere, A ground switch could be easily put in place...

I'll probably put a "Remote Start Disable" switch somewhere. If I can't find the far end of that there wire thingie.....

John
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JPSpen
Well, I was thinking if it terminated out under the hood somewhere, A ground switch could be easily put in place...

I'll probably put a "Remote Start Disable" switch somewhere. If I can't find the far end of that there wire thingie.....

John
You could do that from the BCM, just insert an on/off switch to ground (We really need a slap on the forehead Smiley on this forum). I think that the terminus of the missing wiring harness is behind the left side front wheel well cover (like getting to the headlight) if you really want to over-engineer. The fob is still really well encrypted, so I just don't see the need to worry about a cut-out. OH, I forgot about the ex... (I love the Fruits & Vegetables)

Don
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Just my little kind of overkill..

yeah, I'll just grab it at the BCM and take it thru a switch to ground.

That way when I for sure don't want it to start, IT won't..

John
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Success. This really works !

Ran a wire up to the top glove box... Put a tiny micro switch there.

One side to the purple wire. The other to ground..

Works Perfectly...Unbelievable..

I bought another fob with the remote start button on it. Then changed out the pcboard from my already programmed fob..
Works like a champ..

I'll get the other fob programmed for the spare key set...

I now have remote start.. My wife is pissed. Her CTS won't do that....

John
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Smile fob

Where did you pickup the fob with the remote start option and how much. Also, did you try using your original fob by pushing panic/lock at the same time.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Another Satisfied Customer!!

Well, IT WORKS!!! Had to wait for my certified warranty to run out. I grounded the purple wire to the nut and washer just below the plug. Shut and locked the doors and WHola!! You have to press and hold lock and panic. About three to four seconds will do it. Thanks all!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by tmcdaniels
Where did you pickup the fob with the remote start option and how much. Also, did you try using your original fob by pushing panic/lock at the same time.
ChevyMgr said earlier that you can ask your local service mgr if he has a drawer full of broken remotes to give one that has the remote start button, then just take the guts out of yours and put them into the "new to you" shell, since the only difference is the buttons, the guts are the same.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM

well i grounded the purple wire on the bcm that is on the lower right connector, pressed the lock button and then the lock and panic and all i got was my lights flashed. help 2008 hhr normal remote but i do see the spot for the remote start function, tried it and still the same. also..... my tire light is on because i need a new sensor, does this cound as a trouble code?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Trouble shooting

This problem has already been addressed in this thread but I'll give you the trouble shooting highlights.

1. Make sure you have the "auto-start" option in your DIC and that it is turned to on.

2. This only works on former fleet and rental vehicles. If you bought your hhr new off the lot you're out of luck. My suggestion is to carfax your hhr if you bought it used to see.

3. Make sure the wire is grounded properly and there is no exposed wire. When I first ground mine it didn't work...turns out it was a weak ground.

4. Even with a solid ground I have to re-lock my car after locking it for it to work. Don't ask me why...I have no clue. But it works.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3