"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to clean and wax stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:08 PM

How to clean and wax stock wheels

Ok first thing you need to do is Collect your cleaning products and here is my list

1. Poor Boys wheels sealant this is the stuff that you want, you can use normal wax but this stuff is much better. ( no metal polish people, it will ruin your finish)

2. car wash. I used wash and wax out of a spray can because it was cold as h@ll outside today but i would recommend a bucket and your favorite cleaner.

3. Quick detailer. I used 3M gloss enhancer mostly because my neighbor gave it to me for free, just make sure that you use something that says body shop approved/safe.

4. Tire shine. I will never use anything but Duponts Teflon tire shine again, any thing else just looks cheep and fake to me. I'm sure that alot of other companys make stuff like it that don't look soaked for a couple of hours then dull as can be. This stuff last about a week and has an extremely mellow shine.

Ok you will start out with something like or worse.

Start out by jacking up the car and pulling a wheel off. Then wash the wheel and tire like you would a car inside and out ( i only did outside because it started to snow like 15 mins after i started)

After that i like to hit it with the tire shine, let it soak in for a bit and use the gloss enhancer on the wheel. After the gloss enhancer i go with a new towel and dab off the excess tire shine.

Then its time for the wheel sealant or wax. You just use it like you would wax a car, apply the sealant/wax on the wheel, allow it to haze up, and buff off. The main difference between doing the car and the wheels is that you now want to reapply let haze again and buff again. I like to do it 2-3 times and now here is what you end up with

Look at those babys shine even in the snow. Oh yeah and as always people remember, microfiber, microfiber, microfiber.

Hopefully come spring time i'll have a few more detailing how to's for everyone if people would like it.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Very nice but what about the High Polish Wheels? Mine need a Face lift.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM

The same method will work perfectly. Both the stock wheels are clear coated as far as i know. The more beat up the more work they will take and it could be a good idea to clay bar the wheels after the wash.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 AM

nice How-to