"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to save $350.00 + (Thermostat Replacement 2.4L - P0128)

Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM

OK, just checked it, open the cap, and can't see any coolant, so I add what's left in the bottle, and it's just a hair low of full now. I'll check it again later, hopefully it right on now.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Keep the nose of the car high. Just put a jack under the front and lift it up a little.

If the fill is the highest point on the car the air usally goes to it.

It is an old trick to dill Mid engine cars and bleed the air out.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM

flushing my coolant

About to flush my coolant and replace it with some AMSOil 7 year/250,000 antifreeze. The directions in the original post are very useful and easy to read...

Just did this in my Aveo, it was pretty easy since there was only one spot to fill (the overflow tank) and one spot to drain (peak0ck). Here I also have the overflow tank and filler port... They're sitting next to each other though, and the overflow tank says Dex-Cool on it... funny they specify that on the cap.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by serega12
About to flush my coolant and replace it with some AMSOil 7 year/250,000 antifreeze. The directions in the original post are very useful and easy to read...

Just did this in my Aveo, it was pretty easy since there was only one spot to fill (the overflow tank) and one spot to drain (peak0ck). Here I also have the overflow tank and filler port... They're sitting next to each other though, and the overflow tank says Dex-Cool on it... funny they specify that on the cap.
That is because GM requires Dex-Cool. If you change to another product you may A) really mess things up (it does not mix at all with the green stuff) or B)void warrantee. The Dex-Cool "bad rep" comes from people mixing types.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM

I need some help guys.

I'm trying to replace my thermostat, but the metal hose clamp is blocking access to the lower 10mm bolt. I can't get the hose loose because the clamp is positioned to where I can't reach the spots where you push on it.

I also can't find the petc0ck valve.

If anyone who reads this happens to be near Kissimmee Fl and could help me out, that'd be even cooler.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by katarn
I need some help guys.

I'm trying to replace my thermostat, but the metal hose clamp is blocking access to the lower 10mm bolt. I can't get the hose loose because the clamp is positioned to where I can't reach the spots where you push on it.

I also can't find the petc0ck valve.

If anyone who reads this happens to be near Kissimmee Fl and could help me out, that'd be even cooler.
the petc0ck (drain valve) for the rad is at the rear of the rad, at the bottom - on the passengers side - you can feel for it, but you likely can't see it from the top (had me stumped as well). Be careful with it, as it can be rather fragile as it is made out of plastic (ie: don't use waterpump pliers on it).

Re: clamp - I'll check and see if there are some better pics of it
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

I can't find any pics of the clamp - but if I remember right, I had to remove the hose as well - and used a pair of slip-joint pliers to GENTLY rotate the bottom of the hose so that I could then loosen the clamp and slide it up the hose so that I could then remove the hose, and get at the bolt.

they are a pain to get at for sure

Let us know how it goes.

cheers
Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going to tires plus to have them change it. It was only $181 there instead of $350 at least.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
That is because GM requires Dex-Cool. If you change to another product you may A) really mess things up (it does not mix at all with the green stuff) or B)void warrantee. The Dex-Cool "bad rep" comes from people mixing types.

CAUTION folks.

This is COMPLETELY false information.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

Dexcool does not have a "bad rap". Dexcool contained a formulation error which caused numerous corrosive problems in GM engines.

The "green stuff" was not the cause of the problems at all.
Most over-the-counter anti-freeze/coolant products are compatible with the faulty Dexcool formulation, not the opposite.
Also, I have never run in to a thermostat error in any other vehicle I have owned, in such short time/mileage/years/use/climate, until I purchased a vehicle that rolled out of the factory with Dexcool. Take that in to consideration.

If you doubt my statement, do a little research rather than post inaccurate(false) information.

Also, search the 'Dexcool class-action lawsuit' if you don't want to believe me.
it's your car and your money.

Last edited by Smoke Wagon; 04-25-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Just too keep this old argument going ....GM DID use Dexcool in some engines that they should not have, that was a problem in those specific instances. And Prestone or one of those companies went out of business because of the "green stuff" (that was in the 70's I think), because they were indicating in their advertising that you should use it undiluted, thus you could not buy "green stuff" concentrate for many years, and now you HAVE to pay for the water in the jug. I think that you can now buy Dexcool concentrate at the same price per gallon as 50/50 pre-mixed. Thank God for the US Courts that we can now pay twice as much for a product! (mainly because people cannot read directions, maybe public schools can share blame).

And please read the class action on Dexcool very carefully, it does not say what most people think it says. And be sure that you read the real one, since there a few bogus articles out there, since the internet IS anonymous.

I do not have any ox in this battle, I'm just old enough to remember what has happened, young enough that I don't forget everything.:danc ingchili:
Get it red/orange/green love the dancing food!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to save $350.00 + (Thermostat Replacement 2.4L - P0128)