"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Remove and replace steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Very true. I have been struggling with a similar highway shake that I thought was due to a bad tire balance but they haven since been balanced and the shake is, while lessened, still there. My intermediate shaft needs doing as well, so I will revisit when I am ready to tackle that project, and the wife doesn't give me grief over spending too much time with Gregg LOL
Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Today, an inspection of the front end , on the trip to the kids cabin, the front end started to shake but only while deceleration, not under braking. No shake in the steering column, no shake when the brake pedal is depressed, I know it's not the
rotors, new,
brake pads, new,
Front hubs, new,
LCA bushings
Ball joints, new,
Steering rack , new ( included inner and outer tierods)
About the only components that are original are the Drive shafts, I ordered new ones on Thursday, they'll be here on Tuesday.
I'm just gonna re check torque in the steering rack mounts and the rear LCA bolts.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Today, an inspection of the front end , on the trip to the kids cabin, the front end started to shake but only while deceleration, not under braking. No shake in the steering column, no shake when the brake pedal is depressed, I know it's not the
rotors, new,
brake pads, new,
Front hubs, new,
LCA bushings
Ball joints, new,
Steering rack , new ( included inner and outer tierods)
About the only components that are original are the Drive shafts, I ordered new ones on Thursday, they'll be here on Tuesday.
I'm just gonna re check torque in the steering rack mounts and the rear LCA bolts.
Just throwin' some thoughts out, don't know how valid they are.

Tire separation
Wheel weights
Since no shake in the steering, you may want to check the engine/trans mounts.

You may find a loose fastener somewhere.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks RJ, tires are just 4,500 miles old, I looked at tires and rotated them on Thursday, same shake on Saturday, I'm thinking axles because, I replaced the hubs before trip to Florida in April, had the same shake, it shook the steering wheel and the rack input shaft was loose and walking a 1/4 inch or more up the worm gear in the input shaft. So I replaced the steering rack, now this shake is at highway speeds when I have to decelerate when I'm approaching traffic or see a Kodiak with a Kodak up ahead.
My thoughts are tire balance would follow the unbalanced tire , when I moved them to the rear.
Engine mounts look good , no flex , and I check torque when I replaced the steering rack.
I'll keep y'all posted
Old 07-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe the lockup clutch? The let your foot off the accel while watching the RPM thing. Could still be hubs, the quality is going down lately.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Administrator

I have a spare set in the shed so, I'm unwilling but ready
Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Administrator

So, on Saturday I replaced the CV driveshafts, thankfully the stub shafts did not pop out, the seals were fine and the left side took two hours then the right side only took 25 minutes.
There was a lot of trial and error figuring out which way to get the shafts out.
I ended up using a flat nail pry bar to apply pressure then push in and pull the axle out with a sudden motion to pop the axle off the retaining ring.
We took a test drive on Saturday and Sunday on familiar roads, no shake or clunks.
Today we took the highway to Hamilton and no deceleration shake , so problem solved!
No more shake & bake!!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM

Nice work, you'll keep oldblue on the road for a long time!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Administrator

4 ever!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Well darn. I bet my issue is the axles too! I think Gregg has the exact problem you had.

Quick Reply: Remove and replace steering rack