"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Replacing Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM

I just replaced the LCA's on my 08 S due to blown bushings. Wasn't aware they were the solid aluminum ones until I pulled them. The ones that went in were the stamped steel LCA's. All I know is that with the stamped steel LCA's, the front end feels loose, too much flex, and it's noisier than ever now.

Going to replace them with the solid alloy ones, and check the sway bar bushings once I get back from vacation.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by frdfandc
I just replaced the LCA's on my 08 S due to blown bushings. Wasn't aware they were the solid aluminum ones until I pulled them. The ones that went in were the stamped steel LCA's. All I know is that with the stamped steel LCA's, the front end feels loose, too much flex, and it's noisier than ever now.

Going to replace them with the solid alloy ones, and check the sway bar bushings once I get back from vacation.
Did you properly torque the big bolt? 180 degrees after the 74 ft-lb spec that is in this thread.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by frdfandc

frdfandac: You have a SS correct ? If you replaced your LCA's with the stamped steel ones you have a serious and dangerous problem.
The SS LCA's have the FE5 suspension which has a larger ball joint. If you used the stamped steel arms for the FE1, FE3 suspension with the smaller ball joint, then the ball joint is not going to fit snuggly into the knuckle. It would have never tightened down upon installation.

I would advise you don't even drive it until you get the correct parts.
"Front end feels loose and is noisy" should have told you that something was wrong with those new LCA's.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 AM

George, Good call.....
Old 12-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Doing a re and re on the passengers LCA today, as the lower ball joint is dripping a brown water and grease mixture from the seal cover. The drivers side looks good still. time to get the hands dirty again.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Just did this using these instructions and everything went pretty smooth. Most tedious part was getting the rear bushing to line up with the holes but with a little wiggling it went in. Likes to spin loosely for a bit and that tapered end helps it find its way into the welded nut on top. I did have an impact wrench on hand which made removal of that rear Bolt a price of cake. Tightening it was fun too. Overall not too hard of a job. With access to a lift in a shop this seems like a 30minute job easy. Took me just under an hour per side from wheel off to wheel on and I had never done a job like this before. Easy!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Good job! Now if you had a front end alignment recently, you should get another one, those rear bushings can throw the caster and camber way off!
Some front end shops don't really look very hard for worn bushings, maybe the ball joints!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Good job! Now if you had a front end alignment recently, you should get another one, those rear bushings can throw the caster and camber way off!
Some front end shops don't really look very hard for worn bushings, maybe the ball joints!
I haven't had an alignment since I purchased the car lol should I just get one for piece of mind?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Administrator

You need to just drive it, does it pull left or right? Hey save your old LCA's for me, I'd like a spare set to rebuild!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

As Oldblue says - if you had a front end alignment recently - and since you haven't............... nope.

Man, you gotta get a control on that over-thinking thing,

Glad you got them replaced - it's a bit of a messy job, but not that difficult. Chalk that job up to expanding your expertise. Good job man.

Quick Reply: Replacing Lower Control Arms