"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Replacing Lower Control Arms

Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by steveandbelinda
Nope won't wiggle in. I even tried several times running bolt up without the arm in place. Just won't go for some reason. Thought that having only one side may have twisted the frame just enough to get the holes off, but jacked up other side too, so that wasn't it either. I'm at a loss for words. Bad thing is I can't get it back together with this problem to take it to someone even if I wanted to (which I don't), and can't even tow because front of car is facing garage door.
Man, how frustrating. Mine went back together real easy - nothing like the problems you have been having. Is there any chance it was involved in an accident to the front end previously?

The bolt looks totally normal in your pictures. Me, I'd take a soft faced hammer and try pounding it upward. The odd angles on the tip of the bolt are there to try and center it into the captivated nut. The threads are pretty course so should take a fair amount of abuse.

If pounding it into position with the hammer didn't get it so that it can be threaded back together, I'd put a bottle jack below the bolt and try using the jack to get it into position and tighten with an open end wrench to get it started.

If it would not reassemble without the arm in place, I'd suspect some frame damage or such.

Last edited by whopper; 04-21-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: fixing typo
Old 04-20-2013, 05:08 PM

thats the same thing mine did. i know its too late now, but next time you should try putting that bolt in first then the ball joint then the other two. its a PITA but it gets done.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Run a tap thru it...bolt end looks worn off...sounds like an alignment problem with the mount...the bolt end is whats catching the threads, not the bolt threaded part, thats why it pops right back out. Question..is the nut portion a floater or is it mounted solid to the frame? If its a floater then maybe it dropped down and not allowing the bolt threads to start...run a screwdriver thru the mount and see it it helps to align the nut....wiggle it around and then try to find center, then try bolt...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Run a tap thru it...bolt end looks worn off...sounds like an alignment problem with the mount...the bolt end is whats catching the threads, not the bolt threaded part, thats why it pops right back out. Question..is the nut portion a floater or is it mounted solid to the frame? If its a floater then maybe it dropped down and not allowing the bolt threads to start...run a screwdriver thru the mount and see it it helps to align the nut....wiggle it around and then try to find center, then try bolt...
Get another cup of coffee Woody, he implied that he had fixed it and was offering help to the 2 month old thread on threads.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM

night shift....
Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Nice
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Once again, thank Whopper!

I was out of town on a trip with access to minimal tools and this thread sure put me at ease to do the job without too much tool scrounging from parent’s neighbors. Plus it is a simple job anytime.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM

NO they are not all the same. There is a FE-1 and a FE-3 suspension and they take different lower control arms. Call your Chevy dealer and give them the VIN number and that is the only way I know for sure which you have. Actually, the FE-1 suspension takes a steel fabricated arm and the FE-3 is an aluminum arm.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FARMBOY1938
NO they are not all the same. There is a FE-1 and a FE-3 suspension and they take different lower control arms. Call your Chevy dealer and give them the VIN number and that is the only way I know for sure which you have. Actually, the FE-1 suspension takes a steel fabricated arm and the FE-3 is an aluminum arm.
Huh? Not sure who you are replying to here, but you are wrong wrong wrong!!!! They are both aluminum for the FE-1 and FE-3.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Technical Moderator

The pressed steel arms actually belong on Cobalts or G5s. They will try to sell them as either FE-1 or FE-3 but, O.E. is the alloy type.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Lower Control Arms