Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello from [maybe!] a future/fellow HHR owner! I have some questions to ask though.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Hello from [maybe!] a future/fellow HHR owner! I have some questions to ask though.

Hey guys,

I'm a big poster over at FJCruiserForums and it's somewhat common for people shopping around for offroad vehicles to ask us about any issues, thoughts, opinions on our trucks that we picked up on over the years. Internet reviews are great and all, but some english major riding around in a vehicle for a week so he can write a post about it just isn't going to have the same insight as owners like you guys who have had years to really get to know your HHR.

So basically, I'm looking at a 2009 HHR LS Sport that's the base package -- no bells & whistles. 2.2L 4Cyl engine, auto trans, etc. Full specs from the Chevy VIN decoder is here.

So is there any issues with this year/trim that I should be aware of before pulling the trigger? It has no turbo but it definitely has some pep to it which I really love. Interior has some nice controls, enough cargo space, all around seems like a very nice & affordable car.

I remember that despite being an awesome truck, a few model years of the Toyota FJ Cruiser had engine bay bulges/cracks that was resolved in later designs, so I was wondering if there was any problem areas to look for on this 2009 HHR. Is mainteance easy enough to perform yourself? Any parts wear out faster than usual? etc.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I've got 200,000 miles on my 2007 LS 2.2 litre automatic, I've owned since Dec 16, 2009. Love it , love it , love it!!
Great ride, great fuel economy, lots of room, luggage, leg and head room!
Pull the trigger on that ride, you won't regret!
Drive it for at least 30 to 60 minutes if you can and it will tell you" take me home!!!"
Attached Thumbnails Hello from [maybe!] a future/fellow HHR owner!  I have some questions to ask though.-image.jpeg  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply! I meant to add that the one I'm looking at has about 35k miles... but if your HHR is any indication she's only being broken in right now.

Your picture reminded me of another question... is there decent aftermarket stuff available for the HHR? Like, is it somewhat common or straightforward to swap out the head unit for something that has a touchscreen or something like that?

Oh and did you do your grille in PlastiDip?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM

we've had good luck with our '08 HHR, and like you said, lots of pep for a 2.2 liter 4 banger, it's really easy to break traction if you wanna light up the front tires LOL

ours is getting up there close to 140k miles and still runs like a top, good fuel mileage, ours averages 32mpg, ride n handling is good too, plenty of room for 4 people, 3 people in the back seat is a little tight for grown ups but fine for smaller kids, oil changes are simple enough for about anybody to do....

only issue I've found with ours is the owners manual calls for 5 qts of oil but the engine only holds 4.5 qts, don't know if GM corrected that typo or not but be aware of that
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by preventDefault
Thanks for the reply! I meant to add that the one I'm looking at has about 35k miles... but if your HHR is any indication she's only being broken in right now.

Your picture reminded me of another question... is there decent aftermarket stuff available for the HHR? Like, is it somewhat common or straightforward to swap out the head unit for something that has a touchscreen or something like that?

Oh and did you do your grille in PlastiDip?
just added a new Pioneer DVD with navigation n touch screen to mine, go to Crutchfield and put in your vehicle info, they'll show you what will fit and they have all the adaptors to make it fit like factory
Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I'll try to give you a general "heads up" of things to look at.

Swaybar ends links are a known early wear problem. Replacement with a good quality replacement is usually good for many miles after.

Swaybar bushings can wear out early and cause a dreaded clunk noise over bumps and or turning. Again, easily fixed with a quality replacement.

Many regular HHR's end up with the so called warp rotor jutter. This is usually the result of not keeping the rear drums adjusted up. Fix any rotor issues, keep the rears adjusted and that usually takes care of any future problems.
( GM dropped the ball on this. A poorly designed rear drum system that doesn't really self adjust like it should. )

Lower control arm bushings can be another wear item but it's mostly on the higher mileage ones.

That's about it. There are many members here with vast knowledge on these little trucklets. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions.

P.S. You think that 155 hp LS is peppy ? Just don't go test drive a SS.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Stock speakers are crap and short out as well as radio sometimes. But that just gives you a reason to put in a new system. Amp would be easy install since the battery is in the back trunk.

The camshaft shift solenoids are known to cause hard shifting and CELs but easy fix. Timing chain tensioner rattle on start up but your 2009 should have the updates version. Also leaky or clogged fuel injectors with a p1174 code

And make sure the ignition recall was done.

Last edited by tom357d; 11-30-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: MAKE SURE THE IGNITION RECALL WAS DONE
Old 12-01-2015, 12:56 AM

Welcome to the site

All good advice above.

The hhr's holds up rather well. Like any car there are some things that fail.

The only thing I would add is here in the salt belt the door seams ten to break out with rust after awhile.

All cars have rust issues the only place that seems to be common on the hhr's is the door seams.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Deceased

aboard preventDefault!

All good advice above, I've got 401,000 miles on the eldest of my four HHR herd, and 84,000 miles on the "pampered" one.

Tons of mods for HHR's, from Powertrain to Audio, just poke around in our Sub-Forums or plop a term in our Google-Linked "Search" box and a decade's worth of threads and posts will be at your fingertips.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Administrator

I painted my grille and powder coated the rims, loads of HU mods are available.

Quick Reply: Hello from [maybe!] a future/fellow HHR owner! I have some questions to ask though.