Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Very nice!
Old 04-16-2024, 01:53 PM

Thanks all - and @ Oldblue : Just ordered the motor - should be here by mid net week +++++

and a rear view pic:
Old 04-16-2024, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Nice and clean!
Old 04-17-2024, 06:54 AM

In the U.S. virtually every 2.2 or 2.4 power steering motor is covered by a recall or an extended warranty that's that's so long it's effectively lifetime.

I don't know if that applies in Europe, though. Can't hurt to inquire.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Correction in that extended warranty letter for the power steering assist motor, it expired after 10 years from first registration. Seeing as the 2011 model year was the last year that expired in 2021 or maybe 2022.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
In the U.S. virtually every 2.2 or 2.4 power steering motor is covered by a recall or an extended warranty that's that's so long it's effectively lifetime.

I don't know if that applies in Europe, though. Can't hurt to inquire.
Hi PulpFiction

Thanks for your kind input. GM is no longer available here - no one to contact. Somehow don`t blame them - the European auto market is a very monopolistic/arrogant and selfish. European manufacturers/politcs/lobbiests have created an image that US cars don`t match "EU standards" in quality/technology and whatever.
But no-one here in Europe had the guts to create something like an HHR or a SSR. I somehow missed the launch of the HHR back then. Back in those days me and my wife drove Jeep Cherokees - you know - the old square boxes with the 4.0L inline six. Great vehicles and very reliable. We had 4 of them.I think they were made in Canada ??

But back to the power steering motor - ordered the part from rockauto yesterday evening. An hour later I got an email that it had been shipped- Now that is brilliant - perfect service. Will fit it next week. Wasn`t very expensive. I want to drive our HHR for ever w or wo help from GM. And then there is hhr,net with so much information
that will help.

Regards Simon

Old 04-19-2024, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Correction in that extended warranty letter for the power steering assist motor, it expired after 10 years from first registration. Seeing as the 2011 model year was the last year that expired in 2021 or maybe 2022.
If you're looking a the same notice I am, could you be misreading it? Or are you referring to a different document I haven't seen? Please clarify.

From what I'm looking at, the refund for prior repairs at owners' expense expired in 2026. The extend warranty is for "the life of the car." Also, I re-read it, and in implies worldwide application.

Originally Posted by myownhhr
Hi PulpFiction

Thanks for your kind input. GM is no longer available here - no one to contact.

But back to the power steering motor - ordered the part from rockauto yesterday evening.
I am skeptical of the idea that there is no one to contact. There surely is someone responsible, even if well concealed. You could try looking around at chevroleteurope.com. Maybe this? https://www.chevroleteurope.com/cont...cy-numbers.pdf

Peugeot (now part of Stellantis) bought Opel, which uses those engines, and which which was owned by GM when Chevy HHR was sold in Europe. Very confusing, but maybe a Peugeot or Opel dealer knows something. An Opel dealer may be source of parts, anyway.

In the U.S., owners making this warranty claim may need to be persistent, because such a lifetime warranty is so unusual that some dealers have never heard of it, don't believe it, and make little serious effort to investigate. To keep the confusion complete, some cars are instead covered by a "recall," which may have different implications in Europe than the U.S.

Perhaps you prefer to keep it simple and just take care of it yourself. But before you install that motor, be sure it's the correct one. It is my understanding that there are two versions, with subtle differences in the way they fit mechanically, and possibly a small alteration required by the installer. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that explains it, but it may take a little effort for me to find it.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I’m reading the paper work from Mary Bara of GM dated 2010, it’s the Canadian version, extended warranty letter.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:07 PM

You could use the link in my sig to find out if there are any outstanding recalls.
I think it is the reimbursement part of the extended warranty/recall that expired 10 years after first registration.
19257875 is the part number cited in the recall. Link to the recall for 2009-2010 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...4V153-8173.pdf . There was an earlier one for 2006-2008.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:05 PM

Thank you very much for all the valuable information ++++++

When fittting the new motor I`ll check the chamfer design. As I wrote I took the motor out a few days ago - and ther was an oil seal on it.
Can someone please confirm that my HHR is a 2008 model ( VIN 3GN DA5 3P0 856 306 48 ) or provide a link where I can check. And is there
an online possibilty to see if recalls may have been done previously - perhaps the EPS motor has been done in the past.

Well next Wedenesday the new motor should be here. Hope that resolvess the problem. Not using the HHR at the moment because of snowfall and
have already swapped the winter-tyre set to the summer set.

Kind regards Simon

Quick Reply: Hello