Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hi From MO. How do I soften 2LT 08 ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 PM

Hi From MO. How do I soften 2LT 08 ride

Hi Just purchased a mint one owner 08 2LT with 24K. I had previously test drove -unknown to me the 1LT??? (did not know the difference). I purchased the HHR because of it looks but especially because of the soft ride as I have back problems. Question how can I soften the ride to compare with the 1LT. I have factory 17" wheels and performs package. Thank you ahead of time for your help. GREAT to be part of the HHR family as this is my first post.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Welcome!

Sounds like you would need to downgrade to an FE1 suspension. LS and 1LT have FE1 suspension, LT2, have an FE3 suspension, and SS have FE5 with those going up in terms of performance..
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Your best bet is to switch to 16" wheels, this will give you more tire sidewall and that's the first level of bump absorption. I have a set of each, and I can notice the ride difference the 16's have.... with the tires I run I don't notice much difference in handling.

If that isn't enough then you've got a slight problem.... The softer FE1 suspension uses the shock and struts to change the rate.... the springs are the same. Most aftermarket parts (KYB, Monroe, etc,) are the firmer FE3 rate, so you would have to have GM factory FE1 parts installed...... Your dealer and other dealers in the future (for repairs) will want to go by the VIN and order what you already have (FE3) This would become especially problematic if only one corner was replaced (common for warranty work to not replace both sides, let alone all four corners)

Hopefully the wheels and tires would do the trick. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Welcome to the forum, you got probably 2 of the best posters here making suggestions. I would listen to them and do!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Deceased

to the forum jkwministry!

Yup, the easiest thing to do is to get yourself a set of stock 16" wheels or a nice set of aftermarket 16's and then outfit them with 215/55/16 tires. The higher profile sidewalls compared to the 215/50/17 size you currently have will give you more compliance in the tires and hence a somewhat softer ride. After that you'll need to consider changing out struts and shocks.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Welcome jkwministry! ! ! ! !

where in Mo... stlouis area here In IL!

good luck with your Hhr.... ~
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

There's a little more to it then just going to 16" wheels and tires.

Do some Serious Research before you buy tires as they vary in ride and quiteness from brand to brand and from model to model within each brand.
Don't jump to quickly on this item.... It's the key issue here.

If you buy Factory Stock Steel wheels be aware there are 3 different ones out there.

1. 5 Spoke HD for Standard load and XL extra load tires.

2. 5 Spoke Std. load for Standard load tires only.

3. 18 hole Full disc Standard load only for HHR LS Models.

I like Michelin tires but their Technical Data is very Hyped and somewhat misleading IMHO.
They just recently instituted a 30day guaranteed satisfaction clause so if you buy a set and are not happy within 30 days they will let you exchange for a different Michelin tire at No Charge.

Read as many HHR network fairly current reviews on tires as possible but still be careful.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Deceased

Silverfox really hit the nail on the head, research is the key to finding the right tires to meet your needs and expectations. You might find a really great deal on some all season passenger tires, but they can give you a harsher ride than might expect. Touring tires aren't just a marketing gimmick, they do in general give a smoother and quieter ride than ordinary all season tires, but you pay more for the stricter attention to noise and ride management.

Since you are looking to reduce the ride harshness in your HHR stay away from performance tires, yes they stick like glue on a twisty road, but you pay the price with a stiffer ride and more noise. And while you can opt for factory stock steel rims, you will find that either factory alloy wheels or aftermarket alloy wheels will give a smoother ride. Alloy wheels are lighter in general and lightness is an asset in wheels, the less unsprung weight, the better the ride will be.

One bit of advice that I give everyone who asks me about tires is to avoid the big box stores and find a reputable local tire store. A good tire store with an experienced staff will always be able to give you more insight and advice than a big box tire store which is mainly concerned about volume and maximizing its profits.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Cool

Welcome....
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Thank you for such prompt and informative information. I believe what I'm hearing is that the answer lies initially with a good soft tire/and reduction of wheel size. Second, with the shocks/struts. I have taken all-your-all advise :-) Help me with this conclusion, I have seen where others went with a 205/65/15 therefore increasing the sidewall and absorption??? If this does make sense 1) could you recommend an aftermarket wheel company that deals in 15" wheels along the lines of a spoke/baby moons/steel/ etc... Conversely would it be better to change out my shocks/struts and keep my shinny 17" factory mags and go with a softer tire???
Thank you again for the good folks at the HHR family, as I have gleamed from your knowledge and look forward to your opinions.

Quick Reply: Hi From MO. How do I soften 2LT 08 ride