The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

9mm vs .40cal

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I carry a Glock Model 19 (9mm). 14+1 capacity. Had it for over 20 years. Fits in my front pants pocket, no problem.
19's pretty good size to keep in your front pocket. Once I pick out what ever I'm getting this time, I'm going to try an in the waist holster. GA is a concealed only state too I believe.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM

I vote .40 I myself and saving up for a Sig P226 .357 or .40
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM

I rekon there's a reason the cops switched to Glock 40's years ago. I'm teaching a retired sheriff's daughter tonight, I'll ask. .40 cal is one of the only calibers I don't own yet. Maybe have to give it a try.
Check this out:
Jim
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Honest question...

I've had a CCP since the early 80's. I don't always carry, but I like the option if the situation comes up (travel, etc). Lucky for me, I've never had to pull mine out for any reason in a civilian environment. But I live and work near Atlanta. Crime is getting worse as this economy isn't getting any better. This to me is no different than the alarm system on my house, or locking my car. I'll be as safe as I can. I'm just looking to upgrade my Italian made Titan that is getting harder and harder to find repacement parts for, like magazines.
Thanks for this. Yours is a better answer than Chev mngr's, but I mean no offense to him.....Its just so foreign to me that the average citizen in the us feels they need to carry a gun.
It couldn't be more different here just a few miles north of the border...
The only time I feel the need to carry a firearm, is when visiting my parents ranch, and going up into the back 40'.....bears, cougars etc. In the city.....no way.
Its one of the biggest differences between Canada and the US.....prob the biggest, not counting the population difference that is.....lol
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 PM

Have you decided which to get?
I personally carry a Bersa Ultra Compact Carry in 9mm.
My father-in-law bought a 40. They are identical in size and unloaded weight.
The point I like about the Bersa is that the slide release and hammer drop safety can be operated from either side. Makes it a great pistol for both right and left handed people - plus they are not outrageously priced.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM

I am a very avid shooter and I compete in “Practical Tactical” on a local level. I went through the same issue of 9mm or .40cal. I chose, shoot and carry a 9mm Glock 34.

Some of the reasons I chose the 9mm have been mentioned but I’ll go over some of them. The 9mm is less expensive to shoot and if it cost too much to shoot you won’t and you should shoot on a semi regular bases to keep your skills up. The recoil on a .40 is quite a bit more then a 9mm and it takes longer to get back on target for double taps and or follow up shots.

I have found that I can get more shots off and more accurately with a 9mm then a .40. YES the .40 has more powerful however three 9mm will always do more damage then 2 .40.

The little Glock 26 and 27 are very nice weapons but again considering their size the 9.mm will be more controllable when you need it.

Also look into the Laser Max internal laser sight for the Glock. It is an excellent training tool and could be helpful in certain tactical situation. I have one and use it when training and shooting “Point and Shoot” and not using sights.

Also a side note, there is NOTHING that will out perform a .357 Magnum for knockdown power at close range. Anything bigger just blows right through and will not dump its load in said close range target. Downside to the .357 is limited rounds, recoil and cost of ammo.

I taught my daughter to shoot a .357 Magnum and my thoughts about that was she might only be able to get off one round and I want her to have maximum one shot knockdown power. That is the only gun she shoots and she understands and is very comfortable with the recoil. Weapon of choice for her is a Model 360 5-shot Smith & Wesson with a laser.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know,

Evad
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM

Strict laws here in LI NY where I live on carrying. Just don't come in my home...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM

I'd go with the 40 cal just simply because itll stop a person.(not the a 9mm wont) just that the 40cal is what my local police department uses and I've been shooting with them a few times and they prefer it. Also its only 1 less bullet in the gun, not a huge trade off for power over capacity. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
Have you decided which to get?
Nope, not yet....

The more I read on here, they more I can't decide.... Both good caliber's.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM

With the larger slug of the .40 you will potentially need 1 less slug to take down an attacker. You only loose 1 round total between the two choices so to me it is a NO Brainer. Get the .40.

FWIW I conceal carry (IWB) my full size Glock .40 cal. But it is much easier to do the same with my little Bersa Thunder 380CC.