The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Aftermarket headlights way to bright

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Aftermarket headlights way to bright

Hi
I don't understand why you would install super bright headlight bulbs. Is it an ego thing? I saw a car tonight with lights that were like "hot white". Worse than if you had your high beams on.
Didn't know where to post this, if it's in the wrong place please move it.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Could have been another one who doesn't adjust the lights down a little bit.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Hi
I don't understand why you would install super bright headlight bulbs. Is it an ego thing? I saw a car tonight with lights that were like "hot white". Worse than if you had your high beams on.
Didn't know where to post this, if it's in the wrong place please move it.
Thanks
The lounge.

They do it to blind us old fogeys with the beginnings of cataracts!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:57 PM

One of the first things I did when we got our HHR was to buy a set of 'super bright cool blue' headlights for it.

Ya see, the originals had the yellowing of the headlight covers going on with them so the light coming out of the front of the car was dimmed by this.

As time passed my wife managed to put cracks in both of them so I got replacement headlights off a vendor on eBay.

Now several years later the cool blue super bright headlights have been replaced with regular light bulbs. The lenses are still clear on the replacement headlights so seeing things in front of the car is still very good.

Some of those guys that just have to have the blindingly bright projector headlights do bother me a lot but like donbrew said I have the beginnings of cataracts nowadays so I can handle it. If takes more light to bother me now that I'm older.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM

The problem are these HID bulbs. People put these bulbs in a regular housing that are not designed for them. Thats why you get that blinding light. These people think by having these bulbs they will see better. Not true if its not in the proper housing. Instead of properly focusing the beam giving you greater viability at night it just scatters it. Proper bulb and maintenance is key to safe driving for everyone on the road.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Technical Moderator

It's the opposite with my cataracts, it just doesn't take much to hurt, it's the temperature of the light. Especially in the rear view.

I had a Prius running behind me one night it was absolutely killing me, I had to pull over to the shoulder to get him to pass me. Turned out regular low beams.

I hate driving in NJ because of those projectors they all think they need.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Strange that you don't like the projector lights from New Jersey, after all it was Bruce Springsteen from NJ who wrote "Blinded by the Light" and it was a big hit for Manfred Mann and the Earth Band."
I have not driven at night yet to test the auto dim mirror I got from VinceP. I get a lot of tall 4X4 trucks that insist on having high beams and fog and driving light all a blaze, just cause they're there!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I get a lot of tall 4X4 trucks that insist on having high beams and fog and driving light all a blaze, just cause they're there!
I sense an ego thing.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Administrator

5:30 this morning driving wife to hospital and noticed the auto dim works! Awesome option, thanks to VinceP!!
And to the 4X4 behind me thanks for the test, but are we in Baja, why do you need all those lights? Even his roof LED bar was lit up, trying to compensate for something??