The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Automakers suing EPA over higher ethanol mix gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Many ethanol producers are going broke even with the government subsidies. When the subsidies end, production will cease as it will cost more to produce the alcohol than it sells for.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:16 PM

I hate ethanol. There is nothing good for it unless you are a producer or corn farmer... Two of my cars are older than 2001, so where am I going to get the gas for them once E15 is around and replaces the terrible E10 we already have? I say we give people a choice. Regular gasoline, and ethanol blends. See what sells. I'd pick the pure gasoline any day, even if it is a little more.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 AM

I don't like ethanol at all. It seems to do more harm than good. I laugh when I see people fueling up their flex-fuel cars with E85. They think they're being "green" and "saving the planet" but ethanol is such a joke. Don't flex-fuel cars get significantly lower gas mileage when using E85? That seems like its defeating the purpose if you're going to go fuel up with ethanol, and then yield crappy gas mileage. What's the point? I always buy Premium fuel from the local BP station because it contains no ethanol. As long as ethanol-free fuel is available, I will continue to buy it, even though it does cost me more money. I hate polluting my car with that crap. I feel like it is better for my car and they suggest premium fuel for the 2.4L engine anyway, which I have, so it's worth it to me. Ethanol is just a political scam anyway. It lowers your fuel efficiency and creates just as much emissions anyway. I would hate to live in a state that mandates E10 gas. I know they do in some states, but here in Wisconsin, you can still get ethanol-free gas at some stations, but usually only in premium fuel.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Yeah, I have never seen anything but E10 in Michigan...it sucks!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Don06
Many ethanol producers are going broke even with the government subsidies. When the subsidies end, production will cease as it will cost more to produce the alcohol than it sells for.
Sounds good, I would like to see it happen too..
Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Don06
This is true. My company put in a 10 rail car ethanol unloading dock/bay. It was suppose to be paid for by the E company and then utilized under contract for bring it in. However within a month of completion of the project the company went belly up. stuck us with the $1million project costs.

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I hate ethanol. There is nothing good for it unless you are a producer or corn farmer... Two of my cars are older than 2001, so where am I going to get the gas for them once E15 is around and replaces the terrible E10 we already have? I say we give people a choice. Regular gasoline, and ethanol blends. See what sells. I'd pick the pure gasoline any day, even if it is a little more.
Giving us the choice will never happen. As it stands now, everybody in the industry that helps distribute it, gets a govt kick back. I don't care if they bring out E15 honestly, but if they do, they need to make sure all the cars/motorcycles/boats/jetskis/atvs/etc can take it and have been able to for at least 10years. Otherwise, we'll end having to put in some additive (don't htink one exists yet) or have 2 different style pumps.

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Yeah, I have never seen anything but E10 in Michigan...it sucks!
As I said... it's pushed by the EPA so there's no getting rid of it.

It's a bad day all the way around. I'm all about helping get ourselves off the crutch of oil but I don't think ethonal is the way.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 PM

http://www.ethanol.org/petition/
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Yet another ethanol thread with a lot of mis-information. I'm not saying ethanol is good or bad, just pointing out that there is so much propaganda being spewed by both sides of the debate that there is a lot of bunk being thrown around in forums.

As far as E15 goes, I wouldn't get too worked up over until its mandated. Yes, it may be at some point, but since its not right now, you have a choice.