The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Comfort on Long Trips

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlackHHR
Only one complaint here. and that is the plastic arm rest on the doors. Everything else is very comfortable. Might look into getting some kind of softer arm rest. Maybe get a soft leather insert with foam under it for all the doors.
I've been thinking along those lines too. The door arm rests need some comfy, cool looking padding. I may stop by the auto trim store where they redo upolstery and put on convertible tops. They may have an answer.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Deceased

21742 miles total since 10-1-05

trips
3 to s texas, 530 miles each way
several to Austin when daughter was in school there last year. moved her on the last one. 2- tall stereo speakers, 2-lawn chairs, 18 boxes of all sizes, my suitcase, hang up clothes bag, overnight bag and ice chest. front seat had nothing in it and still had room in back for a couple of small boxes or another larger suitcase

2400+ miles vacation trip to Santa Fe, Taos NM, Great Sand Dunes, Royal Gorge, Silverthorn, Estes Park and Denver Co, Tulsa OK. averaged 29.1 mpg and had a front left head wind of 50 to 55 mph going to Santa Fe. the HHR did awesome and i have the sway bar and i am 100% sure it helped a ton on the whole trip. was totally amazing in the mountains using I gear.

Several trips to Tulsa

all trips very quiet, comfortable and handled well in all conditions. it is my daily driver when i am not on my bike and i love the HHR more and more.

i wish my wife liked it more than the Nox. we may have to trade the Nox in for an SS 260 hp or an HHR w a turbo diesel if they come out.

Last edited by cj krause; 08-09-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM

before you go, do all the normal trip stuff, check the preasure in tires, oil change if needed etc.

I have done several road trips ranging from 500 miles with 3 full size adults and one solo trip of 1400+ miles in 3 days.

we had no problems @ all on any of these. On one of the trips we had 3 ppl each over 250 pounds, one is over 400 pounds who is 7 foot 1 inches tall, he sat in the back seat for the 3 day road trip with no problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM

Three weeks ago I took the kids to Mexico, about a 4 hour ride and the only thing I stop for is gas (pee before we leave, kids!) and a 6 hour ride back (waiting 2 hrs at the border crossing). Now I have a bad back from an accident years ago and sitting can really bother me, but I had zero troubles in my HHR.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 AM

My wife says the passenger seat isn't comfortable when reclined. It is because of the pivot being slightly raised on the back of the seat. I guess they did it so the seat would fold flat forward. I have never sat over there so I can't speak from personal experience, but she sleeps on any trip longer than an hour so she is the expert! haha
Old 08-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys! I've owned my van for 8 years so I know the HHR will give a whole different prespective. You all have me looking forward to the trip now!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 PM

Everything is wonderful other than after about 3 hours, my butt starts to hurt in that seat for some reason. Never had that problem before, but alas, I can always just get the seat cushioning changed out with something nicer.
Stock stuff is never very good.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:57 PM

Well, I made my first trip of about 600 miles in one day and I have to saw I agree with you guys. While this vehicle is much smaller than my minivan, it's quite comfortable. And I have arthritis in most of my joints. It handle very well and I didn't notice much wind problems behind semis. The power was more than adequate and the cruise didn't seem to slow down on hills. Best of all, I got 24.5 mpg on the way there will my car fully load and my son as a passenger. I dropped my son and all his junk at college then returned home the same day. On that trip I got 29.3 mpg. That was with the cruise set at 75 mph, temps reaching 100 degrees outside, and the a/c on the entire trip. Plus, I only have 1,500 total miles on the vehicle. I should get great mileage when I pick him up at Christmas!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
My wife says the passenger seat isn't comfortable when reclined. It is because of the pivot being slightly raised on the back of the seat. I guess they did it so the seat would fold flat forward. I have never sat over there so I can't speak from personal experience, but she sleeps on any trip longer than an hour so she is the expert! haha

That's how we test drive new vehicles...if my wife falls asleep during the test drive, it passes the test

When I took the HHR out for a test drive the first time, within 20 minutes she was asleep. For the next hour after that I just drove around and played with everything to see if it was what we really wanted. She woke up when I pulled back into the dealership
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM

You put it through the paces! We drove from the backlot of the dealership to the front and that was it! We already knew we were going to buy it the minute the guy called and said the truck had shown up with exactly what we were asking about. I had that much faith in the HHR from all I had seen, and from what I had learned here on the forum. But... if it hadn't been 110 degrees outside I wouldn't have minded just riding around a bit more!

Quick Reply: Comfort on Long Trips