The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Dealer 40 point inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Dealer 40 point inspection

I'm driving around yesterday and decided to stop at the dealer and have the trans fluid changed (trans was getting a little sluggish...new fluid cured that). When I am paying for the service the Service Writer gives me a 40 point inspection sheet. Everything is good EXCEPT the front brake pads. Technician listed 3-4 mm's left on the pads, and they try to sell me a brake job. So I figure, ah hell, I'll just get some pads and install them. I go to the parts department and get the pads for about $70.00.

Today, I put the car on the hoist and remove the wheels. I look at the pads, inside and out, and they look MUCH better than than 4 MM. So I disassemble and measure them with digital calipers. They at 7-8 mm (new are about 10.5 mm) I'm a little pissed, reinstall the OEM's and head back to the Dealer. I speak with the Service Manager, and express my deep concern about the technicians' "mis judgment".

The car is pulled onto a rack and the pads are remeasured....6-8 mm. So the Service Manager reimbursed me for the pads AND the trans fluid change.

The technician is scheduled for "some training"

I did (and still do) a lot of business with this dealer, so I had SOME clout....which probably helped.

My point....be careful what the dealer (thru the technicians) tell you.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Snoopy-

That is a very good point, & good the manager kept you a satisfied customer.

ie: My wife takes her Dodge Avenger in for a tiny tranny leak (warranty job),
they call her later in the day & say it's also due for tranny fluid/filter service @ $129. + tax.
It only has 30K miles on it. Wife calls me, I double check the service book.
Not due till 60K miles on her auto trans.

I talk to the manager & he goes & talks to the tech, they told me the tech was looking at a manual tranny service book (eyes roll).. Which I'm not really believing.

Needless to say, pays to keep eyes & ears open at the dealer..