The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Dexcool class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
For whatever reason we never saw the "brown muck" in 4 cylinder & 8 cylinder engines. My own personal theory is that if the coolant level got low, for whatever reason, the remaining water/coolant turned to sludge after extended driving. The customer never new it until the light/gage indicated a problem and by then it was too late. But that is just a guess and I have no valid proof to back that up or a reason why it was the 6 cylinder engines only.
No, I think you probably hit the nail on the head there. I know there were a lot of complaints on the Vortec 5.0 & 5.7 for intake gaskets and lots blamed it on dex. Mine lasted 10 years & about 120K before the lower gasket started leaking at the back corner. No sludge in the system at all. But I know mine was indeed maintained.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM

I only had two issues with the 3.1L V6s in my 2001 and 2003 Malibus.

2001 Malibu - piston slap so bad they had to replace the motor. Motor was replaced before the gasket had a chance to fail
2003 Malibu - lower intake manifold gasket started to leak around 24,000 miles.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

How will the lawyers be paid in this litigation?

Since this litigation started in 2003, over 20 law firms have devoted more than 43,000 hours to prosecuting various lawsuits across the country on behalf of class members purely on a contingent basis, and have received no compensation for their services or reimbursement of their expenses. As part of the proposed Settlement, subject to Court approval, plaintiffs’ counsel will apply for attorneys’ fees not to exceed $7.5 million and expenses not to exceed $1.25 million.

Application will be made for incentive awards not to exceed a total amount of $60,000 for the named plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are three named plaintiffs in the lawsuit. This is to recognize their initiative and effort in pursuing the matter on behalf of other vehicle owners and lessees. Any amounts approved by the Court will be paid by GM separately from and without reducing the reimbursement payments it makes to class members under the proposed Settlement.
Yet another Kansas City toxic-tort firm gets millions of dollars while the people who had to actually pay for these repairs get peanuts. The named plaintiffs get $60,000 each for a car they didn't pay more than $30k for or spend any money out-of-pocket on litigation costs. I'm so glad the Jackson County docket was further delayed by this hubris.

Take a look at the FEDERAL case:

How will the lawyers be paid in this litigation?

Since this litigation started in 2003, over 20 law firms have devoted more than 43,000 hours to prosecuting the various lawsuits across the country on behalf of Class Members purely on a contingent basis, and have received no compensation for their services or reimbursement of their expenses. As part of the proposed settlement, subject to Court approval, plaintiffs’ counsel will apply for attorneys’ fees not to exceed $16.5 million and expenses not to exceed $1.55 million.

Application will be made for incentive awards not to exceed a total amount of $140,000 for the named plaintiffs in the lawsuits. There are more than 100 named plaintiffs in the lawsuits. This is to recognize their initiative and effort in pursuing the matter on behalf of other vehicle owners and lessees. Any amounts approved by the Court will be paid by GM separately from and without reducing the reimbursement payments it makes to Class Members under the proposed settlement.
$140,000!!!! Are you kidding me?! Those people didn't do anything! I so wish I'd kept my old Blazer just so I could file a contested claim against those incentive awards.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Yet another Kansas City toxic-tort firm gets millions of dollars while the people who had to actually pay for these repairs get peanuts. The named plaintiffs get $60,000 each for a car they didn't pay more than $30k for or spend any money out-of-pocket on litigation costs. I'm so glad the Jackson County docket was further delayed by this hubris.

Take a look at the FEDERAL case:

$140,000!!!! Are you kidding me?! Those people didn't do anything! I so wish I'd kept my old Blazer just so I could file a contested claim against those incentive awards.
This is ridiculus. As I said earlier, I was one who was affected by this, and the out of pocket money I was out was around $2,500. I did receive notice of this suit, and chose not to participate. And after hearing the settlement I can honestly say had I chose to be a part of this, that would be money I did NOT deserve, and neither do the plaintiffs.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM

For things like this, the plaintiffs should receive a sum equal to the repair costs and a bit of interest, that's it.

These huge payouts are ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Guess who is actually paying for the lawsuits of companies, it is the consumers by product price increases. Like when seatbelts were required, the price of cars went up.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM

I have never like dexcool. Anti freeze has been around since the first car why change it other for chevy to make a marketing quick buck.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Rose
For things like this, the plaintiffs should receive a sum equal to the repair costs and a bit of interest, that's it.

These huge payouts are ridiculous.
Most of the class members ARE getting a sum equal to or close to their repair costs. What I think is ridiculous are these incentive awards. None of those people deserve that kind of cash. They never paid a dime in attorney's fees--they just sidled up to the feed bin. I hope that someone in this "class" hires their own attorney and contests those ridiculous incentive awards.

I have never like dexcool. Anti freeze has been around since the first car why change it other for chevy to make a marketing quick buck.
How is using coolant that doesn't need to be changed every 30k miles making a quick buck? The coolant itself isn't defective--its usage in engines and cooling systems that weren't designed around the product is the problem. I personally never had a problem with either of my 4.3-equipped S-trucks and the Dex-Cool, but I always made sure my coolant level was full and I never let anyone put the green stuff in the system, even though several quick-lube mechanics tried to convince me to do so. Conversely, not changing your green coolant on time will lead to even worse problems than those ever experienced by this Dex-Cool lawsuit class.