Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Using DexCool

Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Using DexCool

Hello:
I am new to this forum. My wife and I bought a 2008 HHR 1LT with a 2.2L engine in September from AAA Car Buying Service. (Not affiliated with AAA, but doing business with AAA.) It's a great car (so far), handles (and sounds) like a toy and I like the retro look.

I just read several horror stories on line about the Dex Coolant GM uses in their cooling systems. Does anyone know if this stuff will corrode radiators, hoses, gaskets, water pumps, etc? It seems Missouri has a Class Action Suit going on behalf of hundreds of people who have had extensive repair costs due to Dex Coolant. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this? Before this I had never heard of Dex Coolant. My last car was a '91 Honda EX which I still use. Thanks...
Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, a lot of discussion, just after the hhr's were introduced, transpired here. If you do a search, you'll probably find much info (pro and con).

But do notice the Missouri law suit is for vehicles of a specific year and engine. None of this has caused problems for GM and Dex-cool on recent engines and vehicles.

Been discussed that GM, through it's suppliers, changed the formulation and sealing compounds to overcome any new problems.

By the way, I was a "test mule" for the Dex-cool in my 1990 Lumina, when it migrated over from the truck line. I had no problems for 9 years of ownership (plus 3 years to the new owner) and 209,000 miles.

(personal observation by me......I don't think aluminum engines (which is what we are now driving) were affected by the OLD Dex-cool).

But do your research and do what you think is necessary.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. You toned down my anxiety somewhat. I'll do some more research on this.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 PM

The lack of knowledge about Dex cool is the big issue.

While it will last longer and needs changing less it is less tolerant to being run weak or low.

Many cars that have been run with Dex in a weak state or with air in the system can and have seen some issue with sludge and other problems.

Most that have used it properly never see an issue. I used it for 12 years in my last truck and it was a clean and coolled like new. I kept it topped off with new clean coolant and never added water if it was ever low.

Many of the cars with intake failures and head gaskets often are not the fault for Dex cool. It is blaimes for it at time but many failed for other reasons.

I am on my 4th car with Dex cool and 8 in our family and never have we seen an issue. We have always followed the recomended guidelines and never see a problem.

I am still using is and wil continue to do so.

For what it is worth I have seen many of the same problems with Prestone. sludge and gasket failures happen with it too. The worst thing to add is Water pump lube from AC Delco. It usally makes the hoses soft. I had a past boss who used it all the time even in his own cars and almost every car he added it too it killed the hoses. They would get soft and gooey.

If you ever saw how many people neglect their cooling systems it is a wonder some of these car still run.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM

As others have stated, there are many different views on Dex Cool. Some are based upon printed opinion while others are based upon true life, day to day experience. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but my 2000 Olds Bravada has 92k troublefree miles on it running the orig Dexcool. Same for my 2002 S10 Pickup with 56k mi. They have both proven to be very reliable vehicles to date with zero cooling system problems. I for one will retain it in my HHR based upon what I have experienced, not what I have read.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Thank you both for your personal views and experience. I guess the bottom line is MAINTENANCE! Now here is a stupid question, but then again I'm used to just plain antifreeze from back east. What form does Dex Coolant come in and is it pre mixed or not? While I'm at it, any idea what it would cost to flush and replenish it? I can't get under a car anymore due to a back injury.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman09
Thank you both for your personal views and experience. I guess the bottom line is MAINTENANCE! Now here is a stupid question, but then again I'm used to just plain antifreeze from back east. What form does Dex Coolant come in and is it pre mixed or not? While I'm at it, any idea what it would cost to flush and replenish it? I can't get under a car anymore due to a back injury.
Dex cool comes just as preston in gallon jugs. It is either full strength or premixed. I will not fool with premixed as you pay more for less.

You needs a 50/50 mix in the car. I usually go a little heavy on it vs having too little.

If you want it flushed right take it to a shop that has a flush machine. It will be easier and if you have a back back worth the cost.

Cost is just a little more but nothing crazy.

Last edited by hyperv6; 11-14-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM

My recently disposed S10 Blazer had 142k miles on it with the orig Dexcool (cash for clunkers). I'm not saying to do this, but in my opinion, the bottom line is to make sure that the level is always maintained. I'm no expert on root cause analysis on Dexcool failures, but there is a rumor that the issues are attributed to running Dexcool filled vehicles at low coolant levels for extended periods of time. I'm a stickler for checking and maintaining fluid levels in my vehicles. This may be the reason for my vehicles' longevity or maybe it's just that I'm lucky.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Dex Cool

Yup,

They are right, trouble comes when it is abused. Like running it low, allowing air to get in and be whipped into sludge.

Maintenance is indeed the key!

The 50/50 premixed vs. full strength arguement is true....except in areas where you have hard water; here premixed is better because of the quality of the water in it. You could, however, mix the full stregth Dex Cool with distilled water for a perfect mix.

All in all I agree with what is said. people that rag out their cars owned ragged out cars.

QuickRick
Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman09
I guess the bottom line is MAINTENANCE!
95% of the cooling systems out their lack this. There a few specific years/motors that indeed had an issue. The rest, just blamed DEX cause it was different and they failed to maintain their systems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using DexCool