Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Using DexCool

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 AM

It was my understanding that Dexcool did not live up to expectancy as far as it's ability to prevent corrosion. Not a problem if you are the type who flushes and changes antifreeze every 2 to 3 years. Having previously owned a 1999 Cadillac Eldorado with a Northstar engine, there were and still are issues with Dexcool breaking down and causing steel and iron parts to corrode prematurely in these engines causing all manner of problems. Most of these premature problems were in engines which had never been flushed out every 3 years or 36,000 miles as Cadillac required.

As for me? soon I plan to flush out the Dexcool in my HHR and use Prestone or Peak.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 AM

The Green stuff will not hurt it. It is like Syn oil and ok to ix it just it will reduce the long term value of the product since it is mixed with a lesser product.

In other words in a pinch you can do it but best to use the regular stuff.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 PM

My 2007 of course came with it. In 10 years, it just had it flushed and changed for the 2nd time. So far no cooling system problems. I think the key is changing it every five years as recommended.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

there are way more horror stories about NOT using proper dexcool in a gm vehicle compared to using the generic stuff. I wouldnt use anything else except Dexcool

and regarding the Caddy with the Northstar engine, those things had issues all over the place, dont blame it on the coolant. That car/motor was a piece of crap
Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Technical Moderator

I think it was the Northstar engine that accidentally got DexCool at the factory when they were switching over; the supervisors in the factory didn't read the bulletins when the new drums came in.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Administrator

They actually got the green stuff, the Nortstar was designed for Dexcool just like our little trucklets Ecotec engine
Because of that problem, Northstar Caddy’s were a dime a dozen.
Most of my local car lots would take them in trade and park them in the back row.
I would buy five or six a week and flip them to a dealer in Quebec.
I built a few nicer ones by converting to SBC and one to a BBC , that was a neat ride!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Troof. I worked at D/Ham, processing Engine Dress during that time. The plant wasn't responsible. Engineering clowns that signed off on the DV owned that one.

If your coolant eats away the gaskets, it would normally be caught in Validation. Hello????? I am guessing it was either skipped or cut short. Could have been last minute ECRs, could have been tee time for the platform team.

But never blame the plant for swapping drums in early. Come on!

That's fake news.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman09
Hello:
I am new to this forum. My wife and I bought a 2008 HHR 1LT with a 2.2L engine in September from AAA Car Buying Service. (Not affiliated with AAA, but doing business with AAA.) It's a great car (so far), handles (and sounds) like a toy and I like the retro look.

I just read several horror stories on line about the Dex Coolant GM uses in their cooling systems. Does anyone know if this stuff will corrode radiators, hoses, gaskets, water pumps, etc? It seems Missouri has a Class Action Suit going on behalf of hundreds of people who have had extensive repair costs due to Dex Coolant. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this? Before this I had never heard of Dex Coolant. My last car was a '91 Honda EX which I still use. Thanks...
Okay, so it says on the DEXCOOL bottle to add tap water when mixing.... DONT ADD TAP WATER... Why? Without getting to much into the chemistry, tap water contains products such as chloramine, iron, hardness, manganese, salts, and the list goes on (depending on whether you have a city water connection, community well, or well). These extra contaminates are not good for the cooling system and can cause errosion within the cooling system.

Unless you have access to a Reverse Osmosis system, buy purified distilled water and mix it with the DEXCOOL or whatever coolant you may be using.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

here we go again - tap water is perfectly ok to use in the majority of cases unless there are known problems with that water.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Even better just purchase the Dexcool 50/50 premixed!

Quick Reply: Using DexCool