Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Using DexCool

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
here we go again - tap water is perfectly ok to use in the majority of cases unless there are known problems with that water.
I am sorry if I am annoying you whopper but contrary to your "broad" comment, your opinion on this is negligible. As a moderator of a popular vehicle advice forum, you should be teaching the best possible practices. Given that I also work in the water treatment industry, 60 percent of my customers do not even know they have a "fatal" issue with their water, let alone common issue(s), until they have it tested.

For those of you that have well water: Most wells contain hardness, iron, and manganese. Fe^2 Iron and manganese will oxidize once the water heats up and given that it is not in its full state of oxidation (Fe^3), no one will even know it. So once it oxidizes within the coiling system, it will start buildiing up on the walls of the cooling system, not taking into consideration the amount of hardness within the water itself, which will just crystalize. Then one day your vehicle will be over heating and your heater core will be plugged up and you don't know why...

For those of you that are on city water: Given the "elevated" levels of chlorine/chloramine (Chloramine is chlorine and amonia mixed), you might want to boil it before putting it in your radiator... Why? Your coolant system is a "sealed" system and once the chlorine starts to reach boiling point, it starts to release gasses. Gasses that are considered to be corrosive...

So yes, I STRONGLY suggest using purified water when possible, or do what Mr. Blue says and buy 50/50. However, I like to buy concentrate because I can find it cheaper.

Mr. Whopper, if you deem it necessary to be rude and critical, just because you are a moderator, I can certainly leave and not return. Given that I am a forum and game administrator myself, I do find it beneficial to be polite and to have a more understanding outlook of which people are trying to say and help with.

Given that your "old threads" are closed that does not mean that they are unuseful or solved. Keeping a thread active gives the thread better searchability on here and on google itself. And given that "ChevyHHR.net" is considered to be primarily geared towards helping people with issues, one might think that its beneficial to keep searchability active.

I was honestly a few clicks away from buying a premium membership but now given this staff issue I am starting to see, I honestly do not know whether I want to or not. Not like the 10 dollars would even provide much benefit, but it is the thought of joining a community where moderators are meant to resolve and help, not ridicule and drive people away.

Take this as a lesson of understanding, you do not know everything, and neither do I but I am sure that everyone here can provide some benefit for each other and work together without hostility.

Thank you,
Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Technical Moderator

Too bad the mods don't get paid, that threat would hold water.

While generic advice is sometimes OK, here is what the HHR Shop Manual says:

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Wow. Ridiculing? Nope, just cause someone called you on it?

I guess we all better stockup on radiators, cause we have been doing it all wrong for.all these years. I just ran out and checked ours, nope not leaking, but no doubt it will start momentarily.

Seriously, do whatever you wish for your own vehicle.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Too bad the mods don't get paid, that threat would hold water.

While generic advice is sometimes OK, here is what the HHR Shop Manual says:

I agree, from the manufacturers web page(don't remember which one) for Dex-Cool, Deionized is best, but you can use distilled, or even drinking water in a pinch. For best results, do not use hard or softened water
Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Exactly.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I agree, from the manufacturers web page(don't remember which one) for Dex-Cool, Deionized is best, but you can use distilled, or even drinking water in a pinch. For best results, do not use hard or softened water
Thank you. :)