The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Do Red Cars get more tickets
No its a myth
72.34%
Maybe
27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do Red Cars get more tickets ? You know who you are...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Well I can tell you that in the UK the cops play a game called car snooker (it's a pool type game, see wikipedia). Basically the game consists of:

15 red balls - 1 point each
1 yellow ball - 2 points
1 green ball - 3 points
1 brown ball - 4 points
1 blue ball - 5 points
1 pink ball - 6 points
1 black ball - 7 points

Cue Ball (White) - 4 points for a foul

So the rules are (without over complicating it too much!), sink a red ball, and then you're able to sink any colored ball. If you sink the colored ball, you can sink a red ball again, and so on and so forth. When all the red balls are gone, you sink the rest of the colored balls in point order (yellow to black). Whoever has the most points at the end of the 'frame' wins.

By that assumption, you are a lot more likely to get pulled if you are driving a red car in the UK.

Trust me when I say, one of my best friend dates a cop, and they still play that game today.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Hey afs9, you made me think about something. The reason driver/passenger door dark tint is illegal is so that law enforcement can see who and what the driver is doing. (see Conceal Carry in HHR thread) If your tint is dark enough to do any good how can they tell that you are a more seasoned-looking driver.
Yes, you are very right! The tint was something I considered when buying the car--the dealer assured me that they would pay any ticket and/or take off the tint if it was an issue.
do keep the sunroof open all the time while driving and my silver hair is obvious Try to drive the speed limit usually and have the local oldies station (KRTH 101) blaring (when I'm not listening to my fav loud, classic punk rock).

I tell you though, with all the sunny days we have here, I really am glad I have it!

I've had Blackie a month today...so far so good!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM

I have never owned a red car and I have a few speeding tix.....
Now I won a Ruby Red 2LT....let's see what happens.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM

I have gotten pulled over in my black S10 Pickup my Red S10 Blazer

and Now just the other Nite In my Red HHR.

Each and every time...they would say Oh I thought you were drunk.

But so far...for me its not the color.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Founding Member

Poll re-opened for voting.

Three tickets in my 1987 RED GMC pickup. First tickets in 8 years and not another one until I had a RED Tahoe (20 years later). No more red for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Deceased

None in a red car, one in a yellow Camaro back in 1985.

Now my Mom gets them in all colors of the rainbow, so far this year she got stopped in my black Challenger, her orange Corvette, and my Dad's maroon Buick. I hope that once she hits her 80's she'll slow down a bit, but not too likely.

Although it was kind of ironic being a 17 year old driving my Mom to work because she lost HER license for speeding, its usually the other way round.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM

That's hilarious, Mike.
(Wish my mom had been that into cars. Would have learned to drive on a 4-speed Mustang GT maybe instead of slushbox Falcon...)

No real personal experience of getting tickets with red cars (since I hate red cars generally...) but I do think that you're much more liable to get pulled over driving a bright-colored vehicle. I remember when we bought the wife's '85 300ZX Turbo, I certainly didn't want white or red (they didn't come in any bright colors in fact - no yellows or orange's..) We chose the dark grey. Drove it pretty fast on occasion. Seemed we were mostly invisible.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 PM

I've had red cars since 2000. Never even pulled over. Did get one in my silver car..
Had a black sports car (TR3) in college(long time ago). Got pulled over about 3 times in a two month period. Painted it bright red and never was pulled over during the next year...However, the guy I sold it to got 3 tickets in one night and had to sell it...
Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM

My last three vehicles were bright red or bright orange. I've only been pulled over once during that time frame, going 62 +/- in a 50 MPH zone, and got off with a warning. I really think it has more to do with how aggressive you drive and where you drive way over the speed limit. If you drive fast and change lanes quickly without blinkers, your odds of being pulled over go up exponentially. I also think you are more likely to get pulled over if you are a youngster who appears to be driving aggressively.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Although it was kind of ironic being a 17 year old driving my Mom to work because she lost HER license for speeding, its usually the other way round.

That's priceless 843. Thats a dutiful son, some how I'm thinking it was not negotiable. Ha Ha ha