The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Driver's side: HHR in a class of its own

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Clarke33
Interesting that you would say that after what I was reading last night. I was online researching an Equinox for my wife(later this summer). The reviewers were talking about the spirited performance of the v-6 so I looked up the performance data. Much to my surprise the 0-60 times were actually a couple of tenths slower the the times Car & Driver posted for the 2.4 HHR. I still don't understand why so many reviewers have blasted the HHR in the performance area. I drove several HHR's before I ordered mine and thought both engines were very quick for 4 cylinder engines. I opted for the 2.4 with the 2lt package. It's been ordered for over three weeks so I am hoping to hear some new information soon. One other thing for Craig, what is your honest opinion of the equinox? My wife really likes the looks.

I ordered mine a month ago and still no word. I contacted GM directly and all they would say is that it is a new model that is poplular which is causing delays. I can't get an answer to when mine will be built.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Craig, what is your honest opinion of the equinox? My wife really likes the looks.

Well both Vehicles have their own merit. When I'm always asked which one i like better, it like saying which one of my daughter i love more. LOL

The Equinox is larger. Taller, longer, and more room in the back seat for passengers (largest in its class) and since dec 05, they stopped making the towers in the back for the shelf system. that too allows for more cargo. I have tow little girls, one is two years old. the other is three months. so i have to haul a stoller, diaper bag and all the other carp they need, lol. both work well. But the advantage goe to the Equinox. The rear seat will move forward to make the back larger. And since my girls are in car seats, they dont loose and leg room.

The Equinox can come in AWD or FWD with traction control. The HHR is only FWD with traction control, but you have to get Anti-lock brakes to get the traction control. I live in NE ohio. I work in Ohio's Snow Belt ( east side of Cleveland). I have no touble with either vehicle in the snow. If was super terribly horrible out, my family does take the Equinox. Just for peace of mind with the AWD. But thats not to discredit the HHR. The malibu, Impala, and Monte Carlo all have similar traction control systems. And they are all really great. The HHR would be great in AWD, but it doesnt need it. Bigger trucks and Suv's need either 4WD or AWD for their weight. And if you know Physics, more weight has more kinetic energy and inertia. And if you live where there is alot of snow, what do you see on the side of the road all the time? pick up trucks and SUV's. People forget how to drive in snow.

sound system, the Equinox's stock radio is a liitle quiet in my opinion. The upgraded Pioneer system is available like in the HHR. But if you want to swap out the radio in the Equinox, its really easy. I have a 7" motorized Pioneer widescreen monitor in my Equinox. I also have a Siruis tuner, DVD player, and 12 disc-changer. And the aftermarket radio looks really good in the dash. I do like the radio in the HHR better. Its the new "Black Tie" radio that will be the new radios for most new GM vehicles.

The Equinox doesnt not have a Remote Start. The HHR does. But both have keyless entry, power locks, and windows. and both use the GM Passlock+ anti theft system. You cannot hot wire the vehicles, it shuts off the fuel injectors. the only way to steal these vehicles is to tow them or steal the keys. Both also have car alarms. they dont go off when you hit the car, but they go off if armed and someone opens a door, the hood, or back hatches.

Since my Equinox is a V6, it does get less MPG. But not much. Compared to my traded in vehicle (2004 Hyundai Sante FE) i only lost two MPG. Both have engine oil life monitors, The Equinox just doesn't have a Driver's Information Center like the HHR. so you dont get the cool readout on how much oil life you have left.

now we get to price. at my dealership i have switch quite a few customers from the Equinox to the HHR. the reality in when you compare sticker prices, you can get a nicely loaded 2LT HHR for around the same price as a LS AWD Equinox. (@ $22000)
so its the options you have to look at, if you want heated leather, sunroof, pioneer system, stuff like that, then HHR. But if you want bigger with AWD, then Equinox.

But if you want to lease, then the Equinox is the way to go. Currently the HHR does not have a good lease program, as where the Equinox does. I have the GM employee discount. I put $1000 down on both vehicles. I pay $329 for a 5 year loan on my 2LT HHR, I pay $307 on a 3 year lease with 12k miles a year on my LS AWD Equinox. And the equinox has $1000 bonus cash for those who have a NON-GM vehicle in their household. You dont even have to trade it in to get the bonus money. You just have to show proof with a registration with your address on it for a spouse, parent, or child. so if you are looking to lease, now is the time to lease an Equinox.

I do love both of my vehicles. right now the HHR edges out the Equinox, because I love seeing people's heads turn when i drive past them. But if you have both an equinox and a HHR in your driveway, you cant go wrong
Old 02-07-2006, 04:31 PM

I actually drove one today, at the dealership where I ordered my HHR. I think my wife will really like the Nox. By the way, you don't have to tell me about how much junk you have to carry around because I have 3 daughters. 11, 8, & 5. My wife is a school teacher and has to carry a bunch of stuff, too. That is why we have been driving Astro vans the past 10 years. I have been somewhat disappointed with our 2003. That is the main reason in checking out the Nox for her. The main reason for the HHR for me is, I'll just look so Dang cool in it!
Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 PM

Car Or Truck

So When You Insure What Do You Tell Your Broker
Car Or Suv Or Truck
And What Do They Classify It As
When Mine Comes In I Am Going To Tell Them Station Wagon
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WHITEHHR1
So When You Insure What Do You Tell Your Broker
Car Or Suv Or Truck
And What Do They Classify It As
When Mine Comes In I Am Going To Tell Them Station Wagon
You don't get to choose. You don't tell them anything other than it's a Chevy HHR and they have their own classifications for it. It seems like every state and insurance agency is different.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:37 AM

PA has it under SEDAN,

State Farm Insurence is $620 a year
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Clarkke - I like the Equinox but I like the Pontiac Torrent a lot more - just my .02
Old 03-01-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by #06
Clarkke - I like the Equinox but I like the Pontiac Torrent a lot more - just my .02
I've seen them but I haven't driven one yet. I read somewhere that anyone thinking about buying an Equinox should wait until the '07 model comes out because Chevy is supposed to using a more updated engine.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:19 PM

I'm concerned about the lack on anti-lock brakes. That seems a rather stupid omission on GMs part.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 PM

I've read several reviews of the HHR and a few mentioned the "heavy body roll" in the corners. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem.

Quick Reply: Driver's side: HHR in a class of its own