The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Dumping our SUV going back to a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:10 AM

The Dodge Sprinter is actually just a rebadged (well, grill change) Mercedes, built in Germany. Engines are also Mercedes. Some special versions have some final assembly in a plant in SC. I think it was also marketed under the Freightliner (also owned by Mercedes) name.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I haven't seen the Burger King commercial you speak of, but it sounds funny!
It is, it's a bunch of guys changing the lyrics to "I Am Woman" to a song called "I Am Man" and complaining about "chick food." Some other stuff in the commercial is a line of guys ripping off tighty-whities from inside their pants and burning them, and a 78-year-old man pulling a dump truck with a chain (the dump truck, I might add, the Voyager winds up in when it gets pushed off the overpass!).
Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 AM

My wife has an 04 venture. we bought it used after driving the uplander. She loves it. We tested hondas and toyotas, but ended up with the chevy. the uplander is indeed alot smaller interior wise than the older venture.
I only drive it when it has the trailer with ATVs on it
Old 05-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by longhorn
My wife has an 04 venture. we bought it used after driving the uplander. She loves it. We tested hondas and toyotas, but ended up with the chevy. the uplander is indeed alot smaller interior wise than the older venture.
I only drive it when it has the trailer with ATVs on it
Just make sure to check under the oil cap on a regular basis and watch for coolant leaks. They are known for lower intake manifold gasket leaks.

If you start seeing white goop on the underside of the oil cap, you've got trouble brewing. Been there, done that, got the new gasket
Old 05-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
The Dodge Sprinter is actually just a rebadged (well, grill change) Mercedes, built in Germany. Engines are also Mercedes. Some special versions have some final assembly in a plant in SC. I think it was also marketed under the Freightliner (also owned by Mercedes) name.
That makes sense. It seemed a bit "different" and non-Chrysler.

This is likely its last year then since Chrysler is deMercedying. Or Rather The Germans have dumped Chrysler.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM

We use all of the domestics at work. The Uplander is nothing more than a Venture with a new front clip. Just look from the doors back, they are identical. Both were designed for European roads and they is why both are a little narrower than most others. You can get a standard and a extended length. But I just had an 2005 returned and the customer had put 90K on it and no issues with it. My Caravans and older Fords can't say that.

Honda is also having tranny issues. Toyota is having a bunch of recalls.

Mazda no longer makes a van, But the MPV was great for us. What's funny is it will also out run most SUV's and trucks on the road. Can't be manly in the mini van....... Keep thinking that as mama passes you and you can't keep up.....
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM

I found the Uplander just too small compared to the old Astro/Safari. Heck, they all are! Bring back the Safari!!!
I guess all manufacturers have problems within their vehicle ranks. Minivans in particular seem to garner transmission troubles.

Well, back to reality, I drove the Honda for a third time today and came away quite pleased. It may be time to say good by to my favorite Buick in years
I feel sad, but for once in my life GM has no niche vehicle for me.............

I'll be staying with the HHR of course, and dreaming of a high performance one for some future day. Also I really love the Enclave and Arcadia . Too small and too large at the same time! Same problem I have with the Rainier. Still nice cars though
Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM

We have an '05 Nissan Quest. I tried the Odyssey and the Sienna and preferred the Nissan. To us, it was more comfortable and just "felt" better than the others. I also got a bit more for the money.

Before that, we had a 95 Aerostar. That was a really great van, actually. It rode more like a truck, but for a 95 it was super nice.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by crazybob
We have an '05 Nissan Quest. I tried the Odyssey and the Sienna and preferred the Nissan. To us, it was more comfortable and just "felt" better than the others. I also got a bit more for the money.

Before that, we had a 95 Aerostar. That was a really great van, actually. It rode more like a truck, but for a 95 it was super nice.
My friend John had three Areostars. He just kept crashing them!
He used it for work so he never had any seats in it. After he crashed the third one he realized he had six bench seats in the back rooms of his stores!
One time he did not shut the rear gate correctly and all his stuf fell out on a route 93 on ramp in Boston during torrential rain. He delivered comic books and magazines, so it was not a good day since nothing survived the drop and assault from vehicles behind him.

I think he still has the seat collection though! Trophies and reminders of good times past................
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM

Iron Man got a nother cousin 'cause, well, we bought the ODDITY! Our first ferin' car built by rednecks in North Carolina!

Even though this is an HHR forum, I'll post a pic or two later on . I'll make sure at least one pic has old Iron Man in it

One of the main COOL features that really made me go for it ( besides that it has a higher weight capacity than the other minivans we looked at ), is the integrated Nav/backup camera/voice command/entertainment/climate control central computer controlled brain. It may be a good idea to git the extended warranty.

Actually Hondacare ( the real deal ) with zero deductible/stem to stern with a few exception/ 120 K or eight years is available for $1,230.00. Not bad considering our Buick third party 90-K five year one cost $2,300.00.
Sold the Buick after two and a half years and are getting around $1,200..00 back. Just enough to buy the complete Hondacare package. We have a little while to purchase it too, it does not have to be at the time of purchase and remains at the same cost until 6-10K miles.

The back up camera has already saved the life of Rusty Kitty, so it was the right decision.

Did not go with the extended warranty on the HHR though. Just hoping all will be well with it

The two cars should compliment each other's duties well. And we finally broke free of the red curse! Our last three cars have all been red, but I never pick red, we just happen into the deals.
Well Little Katy picked out our new car from three at the dealer that were identical, Red, Light Blue and dark blue. She wanted something different than red too, so it was a nice light blue one we drove home!

It does have one really primitive STUPID bad design flaw, a passenger can leave an overhead light on and it will drain the battery dead! No rundown shutoff feature in this expensive top of the line minivan! It was almost a deal breaker as I had killed two batteries doing just such stunts myself in our old Safari. I have found this which may help, if it does not void the warranty:

http://www.prioritystart.com/

Oh, and I'm at home in the Ody forum, we all need these: It will seem familiar, same design choices as the HHR leaving AC condensers vulnerable:
I like the name

http://mrgrille.com/MrGrille-Honda-Oddyssey-Page.html

Quick Reply: Dumping our SUV going back to a minivan