The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Dumping our SUV going back to a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 AM

Name:  congratsbigsmile-1.gif
Views: 25
Size:  10.6 KB
Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 AM

Congrats on the wheels! I've ridden in a couple of them and they were very nice plus that engine is rock solid and sips gas for a V6. If I'm not mistaken it is the same engine that is in my wife's 2004 Saturn Vue...98K trouble free miles so far

Goose
Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I found the Uplander just too small compared to the old Astro/Safari.
Those were RWD and wider, but still shorter. I had an 89 Aerostar and picked that cause you could get it extended and a 5speed. But it's not fair to compare the RWD mini's to the FWD mini's. One was truck based and the other is car based.

Hope you like it, we had an Oddy before we got the MPV. The Oddy blew up.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
If I'm not mistaken it is the same engine that is in my wife's 2004 Saturn Vue...
I don't think Honda is sharing the Oddy motor with anyone. Seems when they do they only switch with Isuzu.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Those were RWD and wider, but still shorter. I had an 89 Aerostar and picked that cause you could get it extended and a 5speed. But it's not fair to compare the RWD mini's to the FWD mini's. One was truck based and the other is car based.

Hope you like it, we had an Oddy before we got the MPV. The Oddy blew up.
True enough on the comparisons between truck based and car based Minivans.
Still they both competed for the same market, it just depended which you needed to carry more of, people or stuff.

Heck our Buick Rainier could tow three tons ! It was on airbags too with Bilstines with an auto load/leveling system. What a truck! Too bad it was too small for a lot of my needs. So it was off to Ody land. Hope ours does not blow up
What went on yours, the engine or tranny or both? What year? A lot of tranny problems in the recent past ..hopefully they are gone in the current models.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM

What went on yours, the engine or tranny or both? What year? A lot of tranny problems in the recent past ..hopefully they are gone in the current models.
Motor blew a crankshaft seal. Wifes was coming back from NC in Dec 03. She called me and said the oil light came one. This had never happened before, it was due an oil change when she got back. I told her to stop and check it, it took two qt's to bring it back up. SO she left again, within 10 miles she called me back up and said the light was on again. I told her to pull off and call her parents (she had left their house). She took the next exit and the motor stopped. WHen I got there to get her at her folks house, I followed the trail of oil all the way to the interstate, I could tell how long she was stopped at intersections.... . ANd it still made it about 40 miles. Started it up, after I put 4 qts in it and you could hear it, spun bearing. I sold it as is and still got $2500 for it. You pay for a Honda, but you can usually get it back in the end, even dead.

It was the first gen model, a 95. Those motors usually run forever. The current models are having the tranny issues.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Motor blew a crankshaft seal. Wifes was coming back from NC in Dec 03. She called me and said the oil light came one. This had never happened before, it was due an oil change when she got back. I told her to stop and check it, it took two qt's to bring it back up. SO she left again, within 10 miles she called me back up and said the light was on again. I told her to pull off and call her parents (she had left their house). She took the next exit and the motor stopped. WHen I got there to get her at her folks house, I followed the trail of oil all the way to the interstate, I could tell how long she was stopped at intersections.... . ANd it still made it about 40 miles. Started it up, after I put 4 qts in it and you could hear it, spun bearing. I sold it as is and still got $2500 for it. You pay for a Honda, but you can usually get it back in the end, even dead.

It was the first gen model, a 95. Those motors usually run forever. The current models are having the tranny issues.
Yeah, the second gen had a lot of tranny issues, and the third gen had some. They just modded the tranny for the '07 ( Midrun third gen ), so we'll see what happens. Going for the extended warranty just in case. Plus the dealer added 12K to the factory warranty,which cannot hurt.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 AM

Yeah, the second gen had a lot of tranny issues, and the third gen had some. They just modded the tranny for the '07 ( Midrun third gen ), so we'll see what happens. Going for the extended warranty just in case. Plus the dealer added 12K to the factory warranty,which cannot hurt.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

A quick pic of my favorite daughter ( OK, ONLY daughter )_ giving the new van her blessing. She did pick it out after all. She was getting bored of the last three red cars, so blue it is

Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 AM

Enjoy.