The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Excellent Video on Texting While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM

*begin rant*

Im not one for the "man" to step in and say what we can and cant do, but with cell phone technology and most phones being somewhat gps compatable, you would think that like most in car dvd players/nav systems, that texting would be disabled while in motion. The major downfall with that would be 'passengers' texting, but there should be something to automaticly block a driver from texting on a hardware front because its obvious 'common sence' isnt common anymore.

The only real problem with making laws against texting is enforcement. Cops can tell your speeding with radar guns, dui's with breathalizers, and criminal activity by running plates... so how are law enforcement agents supposed to enforce no texting? " OK " takes about 2 seconds to text, while some people write their life story every text. The way things are now, the only real way to enforce a law like this is after something bad happens and to go into cell phone records, because you really cant trust what people say.

I can just see the discovery questions list now:
Hello sir/mam, license and insurance please.
Have you been drinking? No
Are you on any perscription medication? No
You do realize that you were swerving in and out of 2 lanes a half a mile back right? No
Were you texting? Well no......
Please step out of the vehicle, I'm going to have to ask to see your phone's current text history for the past 15 minutes.
*BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP*.... *BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP*
Sir/Mam, Are you sure you were not texting someone within the past 15 minutes? No Officer I wasnt.....
*Officer looks at beeping cell phone and sees "Hello... hello??? whts tking u so long" on the display.
Sir/Mam I'm going to have to write you a ticket and confiscate your cellular device. Texting while driving is illegal, You can pick up your phone down at the station after I file my report.

I have a feeling something like that is not too far off in the near future, the problem is for those who do feel it necessary to text while driving and dont get caught or into an accident. If the cell phone companies had not pushed this whole "texting" craze then the popularity would be far less than what it is now. I remember back when text messaging first came around and was one of the most annoying things you could do with a cell phone, and quite frankly, should not be an option. Texting is basicly only a distraction no matter if you are driving or just sitting in your living room. FnA just call the person already!!!! That 45 minute text conversation would have taken all but 1 minute and 28 seconds.

I think there should be a proximity sensor between the steering wheel and the driver's cell phone that would disable the out going text features!!

*end rant*