The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Generation Communication Gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Generation Communication Gap

OK, so I am old. I actually remember talking with friends about how it was a shame in some ways that email had almost replaced hand-written letters.

So, over the last couple of years I noticed that my response to e-mails had been dwindling. My younger family members now inform me that e-mail is "old fashioned" and if I want to hear back from anyone other than business communications, I have to start texting............

So I have an early order deposit on a new Motorola "Bionic" through Verizon and guess I'll be joining the 21st century.

Imagine the next step is telepathy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM

We just recently joined the texting world as well and while it is fine for quick short messages I still prefer to call someone (I can get my conversation over much quicker that way). Email is still useful as a place where things can be sent to
Old 03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Deceased

If you really want to be "old fashioned" sit down with a pen and paper to compose a letter to someone. My Great Aunt is nearly 100 years old, and every week without fail she gets a letter from us, it makes her day when they come.

I have to use e-mail to keep abreast of my business interests, and my cell phone minutes can reach astounding levels every month, but I absolutely refuse to text or anything remotely like it. I'm as tech friendly as I can be, but I draw a line in the sand when it comes to texting and whatever might come along to replace it in two or three years.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

My mitts are too big to hit those little keys for 'texting'
Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Facebook and Skype, FTW...... and I'm almost 50
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM

The american Indians had it right, build a fire and use a blanket, the kids today with theirtexting and symbals cannot carry on a conversation as they dont know what the words are.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Deceased

I can't post it because of privacy laws and the possibility of a lawsuit if I did, but one of my managers forwarded an application to me where the applicant used nothing but "text speak". Once I finished laughing and got off the floor, it struck me as very sad because this poor individual probably doesn't know how to actually use proper spelling and sentence structure.

It started this way..."I wud lIk 2 wrk hEr cuz.......", we're doomed if this is what schools and society is turning out.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
The american Indians had it right, build a fire and use a blanket, the kids today with theirtexting and symbals cannot carry on a conversation as they dont know what the words are.
what r u trying 2 say j?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
If you really want to be "old fashioned" sit down with a pen and paper to compose a letter to someone. My Great Aunt is nearly 100 years old, and every week without fail she gets a letter from us, it makes her day when they come.

Very cool, my Mom is 98 and I have been keeping albums with family letters and Christmas cards for her which she really enjoys, we are not at the letter a week level, but a couple per month anyway.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

My Mom just turned 88 on the 14th. I still call her at least twice a month..

I like the personal touch..

As far as texting, I would really be lost. I have no clue to that world or the lingo..

Quick Reply: Generation Communication Gap