The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Back to Work on new SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
Just when they were starting to make good performance yet fuel efficient cars they pulled the plug. I usually keep my cars a long time and every car I sold or got rid of was at least 10 years old when I was done with it. My first two were used and were 6 - 7 years old when I bought them and only kept them a few years. My first car was a Buick Century T-Type 3.8L Limited edition and that car had nearly 270,000 miles on it when I was done with it and I drove it everywhere. Had some issues but nothing I would consider major. My next car was a 1988 Cavalier Z24 and I think that was abused and not taken care of well but I put a $1000 of work into it to fix it up when it acted up after having it almost 2 years and got 170,000 miles out of it before it finally died. My S10 SS was an awesome truck and drove it day in and day out and aside from water pump and a couple O2 censors it never gave me any trouble. I only sold that because I wanted something with a back seat, 4 doors, and better fuel economy. The trick was to keep the sporty car feel and have a little power. I think I hit the nail on the head with the HHR SS.

Based off my experience with GM and most of my family I think they have always made quality vehicles as I can only think of a couple family members I know having real trouble with their cars. One was a chevy corsica my dad had as a business car and the other was Geo Prism my cousin had. I firmly believe a car is as only as good as the driver and person that takes care of it. Treat it well and it will treat you well.
I too have had great service as well as my familys GM cars for the last 50 years and they count to arounf 30 vehicles.

GM did make some crap or cars not as good as some others in the 70's and 80's but today they are as good as any with their new products. The old platforms are going away and the new are taking over.

GM just needs to convice the Toyota, Honda and Hyundai owners they are as good or better. Once they accomplish this that will lead to a full recovery. It takes time as you can not win them with one model or one year.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM

I dont think the Cruze is all that ugly...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I too have had great service as well as my familys GM cars for the last 50 years and they count to arounf 30 vehicles.

GM did make some crap or cars not as good as some others in the 70's and 80's but today they are as good as any with their new products. The old platforms are going away and the new are taking over.

GM just needs to convice the Toyota, Honda and Hyundai owners they are as good or better. Once they accomplish this that will lead to a full recovery. It takes time as you can not win them with one model or one year.
I think service is part of the problem. In my area I think polite and quality GM service centers are rare. I thank goodness that I know a little about cars otherwise I feel the service writers would try and screw me on everything. I love my HHR SS but I did have the brake problem caused by insufficient vacuum pressure and I had to fight to get that done for me. I also had a turbo over (or underboost) issue in the fall/winter after I had the stage kit installed and they replaced a MAP sensor I had to bring it into the dealer 5 times to get it fixed. They insisted that there was not a problem and it must be my driving habits and after asking for them to ride with me so I could show them what happened and them telling me they did not have time for that and I would have to bring the car back when the problem happened I got fed up and took it back to the dealer where they installed the kit and that dealer was very helpful and a mechanic grabbed a diagnostic computer and we went for a ride. I could not get the turbo to go completely limp but he found some data and we drove back to the shop and said that when the other dealer replaced the MAP sensor they adjusted my wastegate incorrectly and ever since I left that other dealer it has been fine. I give props to Rockenbach Chevrolet in Grayslake IL where they have always treated me like a valued customer and took the time to listen and not instantly look to me as the problem. I just wish they were not an hour and a half away from me.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by steven&cat
I dont think the Cruze is all that ugly...
I don't either and I am looking at that to replace my Wife's cavalier maybe in the near future. I just wonder if there will be a kit for the 1.4L Turbo. Hint Hint GM. Nice Cruze RS with 1.4L turbo with a kit maybe getting around 200HP wouldn't be too shabby. Especially if it can stay around the projected 40MPG.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM

I think that the Cruze SS will be well received in today's automotive enviornment. I like the look.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Personal taste.... I keep expecting the new cars to turn into a robot or something..... Transformers were so "after my time"...... Just me I guess.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM

There are some pics of some with a less radical air dam. Which I think helps.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM

I think service is part of the problem. In my area I think polite and quality GM service centers are rare. I thank goodness that I know a little about cars otherwise I feel the service writers would try and screw me on everything. I love my HHR SS but I did have the brake problem caused by insufficient vacuum pressure and I had to fight to get that done for me. I also had a turbo over (or underboost) issue in the fall/winter after I had the stage kit installed and they replaced a MAP sensor I had to bring it into the dealer 5 times to get it fixed. They insisted that there was not a problem and it must be my driving habits and after asking for them to ride with me so I could show them what happened and them telling me they did not have time for that and I would have to bring the car back when the problem happened I got fed up and took it back to the dealer where they installed the kit and that dealer was very helpful and a mechanic grabbed a diagnostic computer and we went for a ride. I could not get the turbo to go completely limp but he found some data and we drove back to the shop and said that when the other dealer replaced the MAP sensor they adjusted my wastegate incorrectly and ever since I left that other dealer it has been fine. I give props to Rockenbach Chevrolet in Grayslake IL where they have always treated me like a valued customer and took the time to listen and not instantly look to me as the problem. I just wish they were not an hour and a half away from me.
See I have a killer dealer here and when I had my brake issue I just took it in. THey told me they would have to get the parts and I would have to bring it back. Well by the time I got off work they located the parts and had it done.

The issue I had on the lower map was found by me and confirmed by GMPD. FYI GMPD was a great help to me. Well anyway they took my car in gave me a loaner for the day removed the bumper and shimed the IC out. No charge no hassle no problems since.

Doug Chevy in Akron has restored my faith in GM dealers and I know now they can do it right. I can not say that for some others and I had hope they were on the to die list GM had. Sad to say some made the cuts.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM

I don't either and I am looking at that to replace my Wife's cavalier maybe in the near future. I just wonder if there will be a kit for the 1.4L Turbo. Hint Hint GM. Nice Cruze RS with 1.4L turbo with a kit maybe getting around 200HP wouldn't be too shabby. Especially if it can stay around the projected 40MPG.
Having seen the Cruze in person I noted one thing. Color and trim level really effects the look of the car. The LTZ makes a big differance in appearance while the LT trim with the cheaper wheels makes the car look a little duller.

One thing I wish GM would learn is wheels can make or break a cars appearanece. Not only in size and finish but fit to the wheel well. GM is doing better but some wheel look dull or too small on some cars.

On the other hand some can look too big and get cartoonish too.

The wheels and tires on the HHR SS are a good example of size and finish done right. THey make the car look more upscale than it really is.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Personal taste.... I keep expecting the new cars to turn into a robot or something..... Transformers were so "after my time"...... Just me I guess.
I knew you were a Decepticon.

Transformers were after me but I have a 8 year old and he has taught me well.

I did laugh when we had one of the real Saleen Bumble Bee Camaro/GTO from the movie at work. I took him to see it and he crawled under it looking for the robot.

Quick Reply: GM Back to Work on new SS