The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM cutting 10,000 jobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Founding Member

GM cutting 10,000 jobs

And the beat goes on............

Troubled automaker reducing worldwide salaried staff by 14%, with a third of layoffs coming in U.S.; remaining workers to have their pay cut for 2009.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/10/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM

OMG, what next.....
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM

AS to not piss on anyones fruit loops, I'll keep my comments to myself.....
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Sucks, more people our losing there Job's. Wish this Downward Spiral would stop.

I'm just glad to see that it's white Collared workers for once. Seem's to me Blue Collared worker's always get screwed my Corporation's considering the Choice's that are made either good or bad come from the White Collared Workers. If its anything like my Current Employeer there in the office more then anything and have no clue how things our actually doing. Just making decision's based off of what they think work and not looking at the over all Picture.

Sorry im venting alittle, my current employer cut our Hour's not due to the economy but due to over hiring and not transfering people to our other building when they should have.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM

This pretty much had to happen to satisfy the strings attached to the bailout. By mid-March GM and Chrysler have to have a pretty clear blueprint for downsizing already in play. I feel for the workers being let go. Unfortunately, we're going to see a lot of dealership closings as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 PM

In my opinion the automaker's brought this unto themselves.Not only the automakers but the unions also. Taking some pay and benefits a year or two ago would help avoid this problem. Also they should have realized that producing suvs and trucks non stop was not a good idea. The American people have to pay for what a few companies, banks and automakers, did to themselves. I am so happy President Obama's capped the ceo's pay.

P.S.-GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!! 6 TIME CHAMPS
I was at the victory parade in downtown Pittsburgh last week. It was amazing. I was five feet away from the Lombardi trophy.
Also have to give some recognition to my school. Duquesne Dukes upset #9 Xavier.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:31 PM

Also they should have realized that producing suvs and trucks non stop was not a good idea
OK, they shouldn't rely completely on these products, but they don't. They do have a nice lineup of cars as well. I don't see a problem with producing a bunch of SUVs and trucks when, well, EVERYONE wanted an SUV or truck. When gas went up SUV sales plummeted. Gas went back down and now SUV sales are going up again. Whatcha gonna do?

Capping CEO's pay doesn't do one damn bit of good. Except, obviously, it scored some cheap points with pity party crowd. The companies get the same amount of money with or without the cap. They still spend what the get the exact same way. What is 2 or 3 million for a qualified top notch CEO who can make a difference when the company got Billions to spend.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
OK, they shouldn't rely completely on these products, but they don't. They do have a nice lineup of cars as well. I don't see a problem with producing a bunch of SUVs and trucks when, well, EVERYONE wanted an SUV or truck. When gas went up SUV sales plummeted. Gas went back down and now SUV sales are going up again. Whatcha gonna do?
Flexible manufacturing - the (former) Big 3 have been moving towards it over the last few years, but are just getting there, and are finding that even if you can now swap over an assembly line in a day or two (if not be able to send a mix down at any one time), getting the rest of the supply chain flexible enough to start churning out, say, 4-cylinder Malibus instead of trucks is not easy.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 PM

There are some folks who actually NEED trucks and truck-based SUV's. That base will always be there, and may have just postponed purchases. Obviously the key is finding out what that normal sales volume will be for the foreseeable future in that area. I found the ideal balance in having a 3/4 ton p/u and an HHR commuter, but eventually that truck will need to be replaced too.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
Sucks, more people our losing there Job's. Wish this Downward Spiral would stop.

I'm just glad to see that it's white Collared workers for once. Seem's to me Blue Collared worker's always get screwed my Corporation's considering the Choice's that are made either good or bad come from the White Collared Workers. If its anything like my Current Employeer there in the office more then anything and have no clue how things our actually doing. Just making decision's based off of what they think work and not looking at the over all Picture.

Sorry im venting alittle, my current employer cut our Hour's not due to the economy but due to over hiring and not transfering people to our other building when they should have.
The harsh reality is that if the white collar work force gets reduced too far, then there really is no future, since they are the ones coming up with the new technologies and designs that will sell. If they are gone, then the company really is going away.

Quick Reply: GM cutting 10,000 jobs