The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM to increase production

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM

HHR's are selling like crazy here.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM

cash for clunkers ends aug. 24

The U.S. “cash for clunkers” vehicle trade-in program, credited with reviving auto sales and criticized by dealers for slow reimbursements, will close on Aug. 24, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 PM

When I bought mine a few weeks ago I don't remember seeing many Cobalts other than an SS in the showroom, but there were close to 20 HHR's (only 1 SS left after I purchased mine).
Old 08-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Cobalt sales are up HHR sales are up............GM plans to kill both......

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Lordstown assembly will start up the 2nd shift again in October, increasing Cobalt production to 1100 units/day, according to our local news. They will also build 700 Cruzes between Oct. & April, for engineering purposes!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HHorange
Cobalt sales are up HHR sales are up............GM plans to kill both......

"GM plans to kill both"...... Is this true ?? Where did you learn this info ??
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Sales dictate production........ Chrysler just gave the PT Cruiser a reprive.... Seeing how HHRs are selling maybe GM will do the same for the HHR.....

My local dealer John L Sullivan (who ran the infamous Ernest commercials for years after Jim Varney died) only has one HHR LS, 2 SS's and 1 LS Panel. I would probably guess that no year of the HHR's production were they ever at this point in August.

I also figure that CFC is not dead, there's nothing like a Gov program that spends money quick to ensure it's continuation...

Fred
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Cruze is hella better then the Cobalt. HHR will Keep on goin till atleast 2011.

Only reason Cobalt is selling like hot cakes is due to Cheap+ Decent MPG which if ur doing Cash for clunkers (which ends Tomrrow 25th) Its another 4500 Off.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 AM

We have lots of HHR's and SS here as they did not sell fast. I suspect the 09 models production may not go much past half of the 08 models. All models are down this year.

The HHR and Cobalt are done in 2011 and will only live on till supplies are gone after that. the SS is gone this year to give their engines to other new models like the Lacrosse and maybe a Malibu in a new model due in 12.

The HHR and Cobalt are on a very old Delta platform that can not use the new Six speed trannys and since they will not be making the 4 speed and 5 spd anymore the cars have to die.

The PT got a one year stay as Fiat has no ready replacemnt in their small cars yet and Chrysler has few small cars.

The Cobalt increase is a short term deal untill supplies are built up again. The Goverment deal was a false increase in demand like rebates are and we will see a lull in car sales starting today unless the MFG do rebated to keep it going.

THe Clunker thing looks good now but will have no lasting benifit to long term sales. Also there is worry on how many people bought cars they can not afford and 6 months to a year from now they will get repo'd with too expensive cars or a loss of a job. THere was good and bad here and we will see some of the bad in the long term.

The best thing for GM is to get the Cruze right and the public love it. THey need a winner in this class. The Euro version is not a home run but has been well accepted. THe biggest issue has been power. THe hope is the American version will be tuneed differently and will address the proper performance for out market. A three door coupe may follow later but they have not decided what to do there yet since hatch cars are not strong sellers in the states.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM

the new chrysler minivan

Quick Reply: GM to increase production