The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

HD-DVD vs. BLU-RAY

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Do those tuner cards have component inputs (Y/Pr/Pb)?

The tuner cards I have seen only have coax inputs. Here, most of the HD channels are encrypted so you need a cable box to decode them. Our HD boxes do not send an HD signal out of the coax cable so HDTV tuner cards are of limited use.
Why no use an HDMI cable? Sorry I dont use a card I just use a HD box, as here iwth cox if you want pay per view movies you need to box, they dont support the cards for some reason(at least when I first got my HD tv)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 PM

HDMI to a PC tuner card would be even more hassle due to HDCP (more big brother crap)

I have a HD PVR for our TV, but cannot transfer in HD to a DVD recorder - it gets converted to anamorphic widescreen SD.

With the Scientific Atlanta boxes there is a way to do HD transfers to a PC, but it's not that great unless you have an Apple computer. The Windows firewire drivers are pretty buggy. Some say they have luck running Linux and doing HD captures over firewire.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM

I don't know if anyone has said it yet but Toshiba dropped hd-dvd so blue-ray won the race. Don't buy a hd-dvd player.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by VincentStimpanzee
I don't know if anyone has said it yet but Toshiba dropped hd-dvd so blue-ray won the race. Don't buy a hd-dvd player.
YEs back on page 2 and 3 it was posted about the fact everyone is dropping HD.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Beware buying a PS3, yes the graphics are awesome and the internet connection where you can easily upgrade the PS3's software and the game demos you can download free. BUT it can end up costing you a LOT more than you anticipated. Ours ended up costing us close to 3K. Our 2 year old HD tv didn't have HDMI ports and of course it was only 37", and it wasn't 1080p. It all started out innocently enough with the PS3 purchase and has now snowballed to add a 46" Samsung 4671 with the 120hz and we will be paying for a while on this. Oh we LOVE it and haven't accomplished one productive thing since we got it home and hooked up. We are watching Blu-ray movies, playing games, and watching HD tv. My poor HHR sits in the driveway sometimes for two or three days without moving... Now I want the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray for my collection. I have watched the last of them in 1080p HD and it was absolutely awesome. We already had the Surround system so great sound was already there.

Originally Posted by hunter
This weekend I bought a new sony receiver that is ipod ready and xm capable and has 7.1 surround sound. I wanted a blu ray player and ended up going with a playstation 3. IT IS AWESOME!!!! not only does it play blu ray it plays SACD's. Multi channel albums are pretty cool. I even liked the game it came with though I am going to go buy a car oriented game this weekend. The playstation 3 offers the best bang for your buck if you want a high def blu ray player that can do so much more.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM

I bought a 42 inch plasma with ambilight it has hdmi and all that... so I am all set to go. high def all the way!!! 7.1 surround sound is awesome!!!

Originally Posted by cpendlay
Beware buying a PS3, yes the graphics are awesome and the internet connection where you can easily upgrade the PS3's software and the game demos you can download free. BUT it can end up costing you a LOT more than you anticipated. Ours ended up costing us close to 3K. Our 2 year old HD tv didn't have HDMI ports and of course it was only 37", and it wasn't 1080p. It all started out innocently enough with the PS3 purchase and has now snowballed to add a 46" Samsung 4671 with the 120hz and we will be paying for a while on this. Oh we LOVE it and haven't accomplished one productive thing since we got it home and hooked up. We are watching Blu-ray movies, playing games, and watching HD tv. My poor HHR sits in the driveway sometimes for two or three days without moving... Now I want the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray for my collection. I have watched the last of them in 1080p HD and it was absolutely awesome. We already had the Surround system so great sound was already there.