The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Lawns, do you take care of it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Lawns, do you take care of it?

I like taking care of my "North 40" but it can get problematic with weeds at times. Would like some input from members. I'm North East (LI NY)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 PM

I mow about 3 out of my 8 acres... The rest is trees. If it weren't for weeds some of what I mow wouldn't be green.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Technical Moderator

I used to be able to deal with my weeds. The single biggest mistake is mowing the grass too short, it should be about 3 inches. It will die if too short and the idea is the good grass shades the weeds out.

The next thing is to identify the exact weed and get the right chemical to control it. Fertilizing with the correct mix at the correct time. Controlling the Ph is really important. Your local extension service will help, Cornell is the NY agent office in Riverhead and Jericho LI. Cornell Cooperative Extension
Old 08-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I do the mowing & etc here, & agree with Don, see too many lawns scalped & look like they are dead, This does invite the weeds. Tall thick grass helps prevent unwanted weeds. (helps is key word).
I'm mowing @ 4" at this time of year. Keeps it thick & healthy. But I have tall fescue. Which loves a tall cut.
I do aerate & overseed in the fall, & add a pre-emergent in early spring.

Our local Co-Op does Ph testing for us. So we know what the soil needs. Generally Lime, here anyhow.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Cornell is the NY agent office in Riverhead and Jericho LI. Cornell Cooperative Extension
I have called them from time to time. Only certain days you can talk to people into lawn grass.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Tall thick grass helps prevent unwanted weeds. (helps is key word).
I'm mowing @ 4" at this time of year. Keeps it thick & healthy. But I have tall fescue. Which loves a tall cut.
I do aerate & overseed in the fall, & add a pre-emergent in early spring.

Our local Co-Op does Ph testing for us. So we know what the soil needs. Generally Lime, here anyhow.
I cut mine a 3" and I really don't have a lot of the bad stuff, stay on top of it for control.
They say you can lime anytime you want ( because of acid rain). I've done the yard twice, only been living in this place for 3 years. One 40lb bag per 1000 sq ft. I take care of my landlords lawn.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

I have to admit that I pay a guy to mow my front and back yard every two weeks for $40.00. He is reliable and has been doing it for me for about 8 years. That is at my home in DFW, but I spend a lot of time mowing at the ranch along both sides of 8 miles of gravel roads and about 450 acres of grass fields. Much easyer to me because I use a John Deere 5525 with eclosed cab with air and a MX8 8 foot mower deck. Of course all 10 miles of fence lines have to be mowed 2 or 3 time a year to keep nature from taking over. The other 500 acres are hills and trees with deep creeks that I can not control much till I retire and have the time. All of this while keeping 75 head of cattle happy.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
I cut mine a 3" and I really don't have a lot of the bad stuff, stay on top of it for control.
They say you can lime anytime you want ( because of acid rain). I've done the yard twice, only been living in this place for 3 years. One 40lb bag per 1000 sq ft. I take care of my landlords lawn.
I like to mow @ 4" due to the heat this time of year. I stay on top of stuff as well. Yep, I don't think you can go wrong with a treatment of Lime.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM

I'm disabled but still mow my front thanks to it being small and a lightweight Li-ion Cordless mower. The back is bigger and would get out of control like a foot high before I could knock it down. This season I bought a robotic mower. My back hasn't looked this good in many years. It just trims it every day so it looks like nothing is happening. It's like magic. LOL
Old 08-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Technical Moderator

15 years ago my neighbor had installed bluegrass sod it was well settled in and beautiful. Then he sold the house, the next guy thought the shorter you mow it the longer between mowing. Within 3 month the lawn had turned to crab grass only.

Since I became disabled I have been selling off all of my garage stuff including the riding mower and snow blower and compressor and tools so I can pay a guy to mow. Too bad they won't do the upkeep stuff, corner lot with landscaping.

Quick Reply: Lawns, do you take care of it?