The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nomad name being resurrected?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 AM

Nomad name being resurrected?!

How much value is there in a name? With Ford bringing back the Taurus, etc, etc. For me the name doesn't mean much!!!

IL Insider: Chevy Mulls Reviving "Nomad" Name for New Crossover Vehicle
Date posted: 03-26-2007

DETROIT — Industry sources tell Inside Line that a Lambda-based Chevrolet crossover vehicle in the works for the 2009 model year may be called "Nomad," reviving a storied nameplate that dates back to the 1950s.

The Nomad name would be resurrected and used on a new crossover that would be a sibling to the 2007 GMC Acadia. The upcoming Chevrolet crossover will be a seven-seater with unibody construction that will replace the slow-selling Chevrolet Uplander. Sources say Chevrolet is convinced that returning to retro names — although not to retro styling — is the way to win consumers. It's similar to a trend that is in vogue with other domestic manufacturers, including Ford, which recently revived the Taurus name.

Nomad originally was used on a Chevrolet station wagon, most notably in its two-door form that was on the market from 1955-'57. That landmark Chevrolet Nomad was styled more like a hardtop than a station wagon and could arguably be described as a kind of primitive "crossover." The Nomad design was an offshoot of a 1954 GM Motorama show car of the same name that was based on the Corvette. Chevrolet also revived the Nomad name on a 2004 concept vehicle off the Kappa platform that featured a removable rear roof panel and a folding tailgate.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 AM

I like the ARCADIA, and it is true the future Chevy brother will need a name....Hmm, Nomad should do.

But I'd really like some more retro styled vehicles.
Heck we have a retro styled car that we all like and it has a name which is neither retro nor easily flown off the tongue for the first hundred times you say it
Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 AM

Ford is bringing back the "Fairlane"
Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 AM
jx3

Hmmm.....Taurus and retro in the same sentence? Sorry but retro doesn't come to mind when I hear Taurus.

Also, I'm sure consumers would rather have retro looks than a retro name(I'm sure all the PT and HHR owners would agree). Now if the looks matched the name that would be great!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM

I'm not a fan of using a classic name on a vehicle that carries none of the same personality. Nomad? Wouldn't that name have been better suited to the HHR than a large crossover vehicle? THe Chev version of the Acadia is bound to be nice, but does "Nomad" suit it? I'm not so sure.

At least the Malibu and Impala have always been family cars first and foremost. The Monte Carlo was, and is, a touring coupe with room for four and solid performance. To me the Nomad I picture is the fun loving '55-'57 model. What does that have to do with a practical 7-seater? At least they are not considering Chevelle.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Jay, your point on the Taurus name being retro is taken. My point however is that a Company taking a previously used nameplate and slapping it on a new vehicle is not necessarily going to garner it any more attention. They could call the cobalt (no offense to cobalt owners meant) a corvette and it wouldn't impress me anymore.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM

I had a '69+/- Nomad. It was just a small Chevy wagon that they threw the name on. It did have a 327 but it was still a 4-door wagon. So GM has brought out the Nomad name before.

This was the model I had; but mine was brown. It's just a Chevelle wagon. I did love that car though! Not exactly a classic though.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Mike, your pics tie in with what I was saying...

That Nomad you had was a wagon, just like the '55-'57 was a wagon (albeit a 2-door). At least they are similar.

Just like Hillsdale was pointing out - slapping Corvette on a Cobalt wouldn't work, so if they ARE going to use Nomad on a something, shouldn't it at least be a wagon? That is the problem with using a retro name on a new class of vehicle. You can't use Blazer as you don't want people thinking it's a truck, then people like me decry the use of Nomad as it isn't a wagon, and what are you left with?

I know - call it the Caprice!

A new class of vehicle needs to have a new name. Just make a new one.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM

I agree, but then why say the HHR is based on a truck when its on a sedan's platform?

I know it annoys some here when we call the HHR a wagon, but that's what it is; a Cobalt wagon. I don't know of anyone foolish enough to try to drive it like they would a truck or suv.

The HHR would have been a better candidate for the Nomad name.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
This nomad looks like the original Corvette-based Nomad GM came proposed in the 50's

Quick Reply: Nomad name being resurrected?!