The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nomad name being resurrected?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 PM

It does have that 50's Vette feel to it.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Unfortunately the vehicle they want to slap the name on will look nothing like that concept vehicle.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Wasn't that concept Nomad a Kappa-based (Solstice, Sky) vehicle?

Too bad the concept Nomad has nothing to do with a 7-seater crossover.

If they ever made a shortened, 2-door HHR - that would be a perfect condidate fro the Nomad name!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I agree, but then why say the HHR is based on a truck when its on a sedan's platform?

I know it annoys some here when we call the HHR a wagon, but that's what it is; a Cobalt wagon. I don't know of anyone foolish enough to try to drive it like they would a truck or suv.

The HHR would have been a better candidate for the Nomad name.
Got to agree here. Besides, HHR just does not flow off the English speaking tongue. Nomad has been used as a wagon moniker before, and should have been used here.
OPh well, The Chevy Arcadia will be a nice whatsis, no matter what is it named

It is getting harder to tell the reasons for the differences among badges though. I mean GMC has always seemed a bit more upscale than Chevy, and Buick even more so, but the differences between the Envoy Denali and the Rainier are moot, and the top of the line Trail blazer differs little as well. I guess the Trailblazer is noisier as it does not have the "Quiet tuning" that was developed for the Rainier and quickly put on the Denali the next year.
It seems consumers are still offered essentially the same thing in different name badges. While this can streamline parts production etc, I thought the days os doing this were getting numbered. I thought this because of how the big two, Ford and GM are bleeding money. I thought they were/are consolidating nameplates.

SO I no longer see the need for GMC, make'em all Chevy's. Even though I love the idea of keeping Buick around, I and many others have thought it doomed like Oldsmobile. Make'em all Caddies. Sell Izuzu and turn the Saturns into Pontiacs!
Wouldn GM be in a better place if they produced fewer badges in today's market? Perhaps higher unit sales on varied vehicles, but not three versions of the same vehicle with differing decor packages?

I'd rather see a strong consolidated Ford and GM than the ones that have been sleepwalking through life the last decade or so. his whole reliance on SUV profits has come back big time to hurt them.

SO while I welcome the Arcdia variant, NOMAD, I really just wonder why three ( Buick, GMC, Chevy ) again? Does having this across badges really give GM a bigger market share or simply cost them money? They had to have lost money on my car the Rainier. No one bought it, or the Olds version either. They spent all that tooling etc on something that stopped really paying off years ago, from my perspective. Heck, they took twelve grand off our Rainier just to get it off the lot and it had not even been registered yet and had only 5K miles on it.

And Ford, why do they still keep Mercury around. They are hurting. You would think perhaps the Mercury line could go. When I think Ford, I think Ford and Lincoln. When I think GM, I think Chevy and Caddie. Well Ok, perhaps GMC too as they make so many trucks.
ANyway, I've rambled enough. I do like all the GM divisions, but since they are hurting, I'm just wondering if this cross company parallel building is still working?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Jay, your point on the Taurus name being retro is taken. My point however is that a Company taking a previously used nameplate and slapping it on a new vehicle is not necessarily going to garner it any more attention. They could call the cobalt (no offense to cobalt owners meant) a corvette and it wouldn't impress me anymore.
Or the GTO...which was a complete "flop" financially for GM.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

While having Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, and Chevy Nomad (maybe) versions of the same vehicle seems to be a waste, which would you get rid of? The Saturn's style and trim is meant to endear it to the "import" buyer, while GMC and Chevy versions represent upscale and value propositions for the buyer who shops the domestics anyhow.

In February of 2007 the GMC Sierra outsold the Chevy Silverado in Canada. This was due to the fact that Canadian buyers seem to prefer the more "upscale" versions of the same vehicle - even if it is just trim. Pontiac versions of Chevys often are the volume seller (Sunfire vs. Cavalier), as are the GMC Sierras. By choosing one model it may be at the risk of losing buyers. Someone may cross-shop a Saturn Outlook with a Toyota Highlander, but would they visit a GMC dealership? Likewise, does a Chevy Guy want to go shopping at the Saturn dealer? Can GM afford to trim their lines and expect Honda Pilot owners to consider a Chevy when it comes time to get a new ride?

I would get concerned if GM announced Pontiac, Cadillac and Saab versions though!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Ford is bringing back the "Fairlane"
Actually they are going with another name:

2007 New York Auto Show Preview: Production Version of Ford Fairlane To Be Christened "Flex"
Date posted: 03-26-2007

DEARBORN, Mich. — The Ford Motor Company will take the wraps off the boxy full-size crossover vehicle called Flex that it plans to launch next year at the upcoming New York auto show. The Flex is the production version of Ford's 2005 Fairlane concept.

The Flex is due to hit showrooms in late summer of 2008 as a 2009 model, although industry sources tell Inside Line that the company may try to get the vehicle to market sooner. The Flex will be built in Oakville, Ontario, and will range in price from $27,995 for a base model to about $40,000 for a top-of-the-line model. The Flex will use Ford's all-purpose 3.5-liter V6. Horsepower is expected to be around 265. The Flex is larger than the Ford Edge and shares a platform with the Five Hundred sedan.

A Lincoln version of the new crossover, with a 3.7-liter V6, is also in the works. It will differ from the Flex in terms of styling, with a much curvier exterior than its boxy counterpart. It also will be build in Oakville. Sources tell Inside Line that the automaker will likely stick with an alphanumeric nameplate, possibly MK-F.

It is not clear if the production version of the Flex will retain the Fairlane's signature center-opening clamshell doors.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Harpo, et.al....

I'm posting this because of your stated interest in "body lines". An article, in our "daily fish rap" provides an excellent review of the display. This is from the museum's web site.....hope it comes through. I'm going !!!!

1937 Dubonnet Hispano-Suiza H-6c Xenia by Saoutchick. Photo: Michael Furman
Curves of Steel: Streamlined Automobile Design
Steele Gallery
April 1, 2007 – June 3, 2007
Curves of Steel, organized by Phoenix Art Museum, is the first exhibition in an art museum to present and explore the impact and influence of streamlining and the science of aerodynamics on automobile design, with approximately 22 spectacular, classic automobiles exemplary of the elegant designs created from the 1930s through the end of the 20th century in both America and Europe. Included will be several rare or one of a kind vehicles, such as the 1937 Delahaye 145 “Million Franc” race car, a 1948 Tucker, a 1936 Stout Scarab, and a 1986 Oldsmobile Aerotech. This exhibition will carry a special admission fee of $14 for adults, $6 for children ages 6-17, and free for Museum members.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm sorry...but I guess I am "old school" and anything with more than 2 doors just ain't a Nomad to me. http://www.chevynomadclub.com/
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 PM

I think if you check Chevy's history, the Nomad had four doors for more model years than just two doors. But I know what you mean! Those fisrt couple of years were sweet rides.

Quick Reply: Nomad name being resurrected?!